Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck, is it worth it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is never more environmentally sound to trade in a working ICE for an EV. Take the OP for example. If he ditched the Tundra, even if he trades it in with Tesla on a new CT. That Tundra will be re-sold (likely at auction) and still be on the road putting out brake dust, used oil, carbon emissions,…. And then you will have the additional pollution created from the making of said new CT and the pollution associated with driving it around.
Hmm... Counterpoint - If you trade in a working ICE for an EV, someone out there who might have bought a NEW ICE now has your old ICE and you have an EV. So instead of TWO ICE's on the road, you just took one off the road by trading up to an EV. The point is to get new EVs on the road to displace ICE vehicles over time. Net sum is there are LESS ICE vehicles on the road over time if those with the ability to do so, trade up to a NEW EV.

Hmm... Counterpoint - If you trade in a working ICE for an EV, someone out there who might have bought a NEW ICE now has your old ICE and you have an EV. So instead of TWO ICE's on the road, you just took one off the road by trading up to an EV. The point is to get new EVs on the road to displace ICE vehicles over time. Net sum is there are LESS ICE vehicles on the road over time if those with the ability to do so, trade up to a NEW EV.
But that still happens if you wait for the ICE to meet its demise before switching to an EV. And that way there is one less ICE on the road and it’s replacement is an EV.

We have gotten to the point where ICEs run a very long time…. Most only get out of circulation once they get totaled. According to BHS average age (not average life) of a car on the road today is 12 years old.

I’m planning on keeping my current ‘13 LX570 when I get my EV truck and use it as a dedicated off roader and >150 mile camping trips.

Last edited: