Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curves on highway no longer smooth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Running 2023.44.30.6 on a Model X but I noticed this after the update before this one...maybe on Oct

At highway speeds on a wide curve the car is not able to hold a smooth corner. Instead it seems to ping pong in the lane. Not an unsafe overcorrection, but you can feel the car sway as does these little corrections.

I've never noticed in years of fsd on the highway. It's driving me nuts. On a sweeping turn to the left, It's like it can't hold a radius and drives straight, gets towards the center line and turns left, then drives straight, gets towards center line and turns left...it does it over and over every 1/2 second.

I don't see anyone mentioning this. Am I the only one.

I used to see exactly this on free AP, about 15-18 months ago, on one specific software version.

Totally different animal, old AP vs recent fsd, but the behavior was so exactly the same I mention it.

Last AP I tried, sometime in September this year, could not even reliably stay in the lane, especially on sweeping left turns. Have not used it since, probably never will again.

Just the variability of performance of AP and FSD from car to car and between SW releases makes me not trust it a bit. Sure, it might work ok on one specific car on one specific SW release, but the next bug/fail could be just around the corner in a situation not encountered before.

Check your tire pressure. Low pressure will cause this type of response.

In my car my tire pressures are within +/- 1psi of door tag value, but I get a very pronounced "speed hunting" by TACC on moderate curves. Started with 2023.32.6 on 2023 MYLR. Continues on 2023.44.30.5.1.

The TACC algorithm for curve compensation is severely broken, to the point where it is dangerous. The accelerator commanding accel/regen/accel/regen/accel multiple times in a 2 second period is very destabilizing to the cars stance, to the point where Auto steer cant keep up with all the suspension set changes. It's not easy for me to keep up with in manual steering, either, and I am solidly in the above average driver capability bracket.

Cruise control absolutely needs a dumb manual setting until this is sorted. It's basically unusable as is.

• Love
Reactions: OxBrew