Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteering chooses curve speed like a racedriver, is that expected?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Somewhere I read that the speed limits TACC/Autosteer uses come from telemetry data of other Teslas, so basicaly the speed is determined by how other Tesla drivers drive in an area.

I thought that it might be the case that in our area there isn't a large crowd of Teslas, and maybe those 3-4 which use this specific ramp frequently are sporty drivers, influencing how my car drives... Who knows...

Maybe I am too optimistic, but since I started to drive a bit more proactively(when I feel that the car is too fast in the exit lane, I don't wait and play the chicken game, but slow down the car manually), I have the feeling that the car started to behave better, it seems that it slows down earlier than before. (I am not sure that I am totally objective though)

I believe the car lacks an "aggressiveness" setting. For instance, I often find myself pressing the accelerator pedal to keep up with traffic because Eastern European drivers tend to be more assertive. They don't slow down for turns, and the way Tesla gradually accelerates when traffic picks up causes other drivers to pass you. Additionally, the following distance behind other cars gives the impression that your vehicle is malfunctioning.

I suspect this is also true in large cities compared to the more laid-back atmosphere of smaller towns or rural areas.

I wish Tesla would introduce such a setting. I've noticed many German cars have this feature, and in a Toyota I used, the "Sport mode" made the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) respond more in line with other drivers' expectations.