Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Driving with no Location Set

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I use FSD to navigate to my house there's a bug when I arrive that causes the vehicle to continue driving with no location set. The vehicle pulls up on the street in front of my house and says that the route is complete. The steering wheel turns partly to the left. Then when I press the end trip button it starts to drive on its own. It has no location set so I don't know where it's going. It safely follows all driving laws. Although it doesn't follow a specific route it does follow a few rules. When it reaches an intersection, it prefers to go straight. If it can't go straight, it goes right. If it can't go straight or right, it goes left. It will continue to do this until I cancel FSD. Has anyone else experienced this?

When I use FSD to navigate to my house there's a bug when I arrive that causes the vehicle to continue driving with no location set. The vehicle pulls up on the street in front of my house and says that the route is complete. The steering wheel turns partly to the left. Then when I press the end trip button it starts to drive on its own. It has no location set so I don't know where it's going. It safely follows all driving laws. Although it doesn't follow a specific route it does follow a few rules. When it reaches an intersection, it prefers to go straight. If it can't go straight, it goes right. If it can't go straight or right, it goes left. It will continue to do this until I cancel FSD. Has anyone else experienced this?
I've seen YouTubers try this many times on many versions of FSD. The car will just keep driving as you say. It doesn't need to have a location to use FSD.

I wonder if you come to an intersection that has right, left and straight options if you turn on the left signal if it will then go left?? I'd assume it would. I'll have to try this today.

Reactions: Jane4
Has anyone else experienced this?
I did a YouTube video showing hand position to avoid FSD nags, and for that drive I just turned on FSD without a destination. It gave me a nice tour of the area, making turns on its own. As you say, it only made right turns, but I got at least one turn to the right when the car could have gone straight. The result of that right turn was to go into a cul-de-sac, come back out and take another right, allowing it to continue straight on the original road. I'm assuming that map data has a role in whether it goes straight or turns.

I use FSD without a destination all the time. It works like a high functioning cruise control, including lane changes when I signal (Minimal Lane Changes is de rigeur). I tend to use it when I'm on a road for multiple miles.

I've seen YouTubers try this many times on many versions of FSD. The car will just keep driving as you say. It doesn't need to have a location to use FSD.

I wonder if you come to an intersection that has right, left and straight options if you turn on the left signal if it will then go left?? I'd assume it would. I'll have to try this today.
I can confirm that the current version of FSD doesn't follow input from the turn signal. If I use the turn signal FSD ignores it and either drives straight or makes the turn it intended to turn.

...Then when I press the end trip button it starts to drive on its own. It has no location set so I don't know where it's going. It safely follows all driving laws. Although it doesn't follow a specific route it does follow a few rules. When it reaches an intersection, it prefers to go straight. If it can't go straight, it goes right. If it can't go straight or right, it goes left. It will continue to do this until I cancel FSD. Has anyone else experienced this?
Been that way since at least FSD 10.2.

"When I use FSD to navigate to my house there's a bug when I arrive that causes the vehicle to continue driving with no location set. The vehicle pulls up on the street in front of my house and says that the route is complete. The steering wheel turns partly to the left. Then when I press the end trip button it starts to drive..."
Yes, that is the exact scenario I described in another post. I refer to it as an "Unexpected Behavior". It is 100% reproducible and the second time it happened I just let it drive by itself for a while to see where it would go. After about 7 miles, I disengaged FSD and went back home. Don't know where it thought it was going.

Some say if you hold the turn signal down it will observe it. I keep forgetting to try it out.
Replying to my own post...
I was able to try this out on two intersections. First one FSD (without any destination set) came to an intersection where one must turn right or left. It put on the R signal. I held down the L signal and it switched and turned left. Next intersection it was planning to continue straight. I held down the R signal and it turned R. So it seems this does work.

I thought I had turned off FSD, but it turned out I hadn't. Sometimes I Ilike to use the Cruise Control and the stopping at stop signs, and red lights. So, I didn't set a navigation point, just took off. But I could feel how rigid the strewing was . Once I got to a corner I put the left turn signal on--but the car refused to turn left.So I took over.
It turns out, you need to check what your identity is--if you choose to use or not the FSD.