Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crowded Superchargers in CA....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Random data point for anyone who actually cares.... I drove my 85 across the country from Raleigh NC to Palo Alto, and until I crossed the NV/CA state line, we saw roughly 10 other Model S cars *combined* at all supercharging stations. Then I arrived in California and there were cars everywhere. We didn't have to actually wait in line at any point, but at Gilroy, Atascadero, and Tejon Ranch there was nearly 100% occupancy.

Yeah, this just goes to show the US market for Tesla's - it really is overly concentrated in CA. And yet Germany has more superchargers and much, much, much fewer cars. Sorry, I don't agree with that strategy.

Because for people like me who actually travel in Europe, having a SC network is a prerequisite for buying? Any vacation I take with the car would require these.

If there weren't such a nice network in Germany I'd not even consider a Tesla. There's only 1 supercharger around Thun/Interlaken missing for me, then I'm set, I hear thats being worked on so good :)

... And yet Germany has more superchargers and much, much, much fewer cars. Sorry, I don't agree with that strategy.

Germany is a crossroad, so you can't just go by resident cars. Currently, there are precisely zero Superchargers in my province for nearly 400 Model S, but if Norwegians had to drive through on business or on vacation, there'd be 20 sites up and running.

Letting people charge on the honesty system will never work. Tesla is going to have to figure out a way to make people move their car when it is finished charging.

IMO, nagging non-savvy Tesla drivers will only backfire. The only real solution will either be some kind of sophisticated automation (maybe involving the solid snake arm), or just building more stalls.

Education can help tho. People already subconsciously seem to know not to park in front of the gas pump while they go take a number 2, and they don't have nagging txts showing up on their phone telling them they've left their vehicle for too long.

Crowded Superchargers? In most of mid America we should be so lucky. Our problem is no superchargers. I live in a 1 million plus metro area, the only SC within 200 miles is to the East. Any other direction it is way more than that.
Tesla has concentrated on California and the EU and left the rest of us Tesla owners to wait, And wait..

IMO, nagging non-savvy Tesla drivers will only backfire. The only real solution will either be some kind of sophisticated automation (maybe involving the solid snake arm), or just building more stalls.

Education can help tho. People already subconsciously seem to know not to park in front of the gas pump while they go take a number 2, and they don't have nagging txts showing up on their phone telling them they've left their vehicle for too long.

See this post (?) - Page 6