Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cooling pumps B now C

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
data being sent back to Tesla (via NSA)
This brought a smile to my face.... then a frown...

- - - Updated - - -

You are so right. Mine is a April 2013.
There seems to be no rhyme or reason to a lot of things Tesla decides to do or not do sometimes... weird. Makes me wonder if the logs in his car was reporting a problem with his pumps so they replaced them... But they aren't going to just swap old ones out unless they start to throw warnings/failures, etc

Service is in the process of sending my MS back and I just got the email regarding the service items. I was surprised to see battery cooling pump on there, so of course I searched the forum and came up with this thread. Apparently (according to the service invoice), there were a lot of faults found in the car logs.

"Correction: Coolant System General Diagnosis Upon analysing log info, all 3 power train pumps were replaced after confirmation fromTDS case 11098. Performed Firmware reflash and coolant purge procedures. "

I now have 3 new C type pumps.. Thanks Tesla!!

PS. My 6833 MS is March '13

Last edited:
Three new, probably not cheap pumps and all the service guy's man hours ... that has got to be pretty expensive for Tesla to fix on their own dime. I wonder what exactly the problem was, a pump usually doesn't contain any software just an electric motor, so why would one pump "play nice" with the car's computer systems and not the other ...

I hadn't seen this thread until today, but yesterday on my way to pick up my mother for some shopping, my Tesla suddenly showed the red bar at the top of the 17" screen with "car needs service". It was driving just fine, so I rebooted the screen. It reappeared after resetting. I rebooted a couple times more, same result, only then the entire touch screen wouldn't recognize touch! I called Tesla and they said they'd review the logs and call me back. I let them know I was headed toward the service center (about a half hour away) so would just head in anyway. I got there before they called me back, but they said from the logs, one of my coolant pumps needed to be replaced. This thread is interesting because I just had my 12000 mile service on 3/4 and no pumps were replaced then.

Anyway, Tampa SC was of course awesome. They had a loaner ready and I was on my way. The touch screen issue was simply a static electricity problem that was quickly resolved as well.

By the time I was done shopping with my mother my car was ready and we swung by and quickly made the exchange. I can't imagine such an easy transaction with any ICE dealer's service department.