Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Configuration of 2 captains chairs and 6 seats is available now.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think they're implying that the 3rd row (like basically all third rows) is not going to have a ton of leg room and will be more comfortable for children. The Model S 3rd row really only able to hold kids and they have to be little kids.

I think that the 3rd row is probable capable of taking adults but that they won't have "ample room."

I think that would be very unfortunate given at the reveal they marched 7 adults and all of their luggage out of the vehicle. Any the production car should always be better than the concept car according to Elon. Now if the second row has their seats moved way back for a ton of leg room I could see the third row being a little cramped, but if they all take equal leg room I'd expect 7 adults to ride comfortably.

<snip>
Now if the second row has their seats moved way back for a ton of leg room I could see the third row being a little cramped, but if they all take equal leg room I'd expect 7 adults to ride comfortably.
Model X is the same size as the Ford Explorer.

Ford Explorer
Image: http://www.ford.com/ngbs-services/r...5/equipment/epr14_models_detailflip_cloth.jpg
epr14_models_detailflip_cloth.jpg

Interior: 2015 Ford Explorer | View Interior Specifications | Ford.com
Image: http://i.imgur.com/6t0M2HL.png
6t0M2HL.png

Exterior: http://i.imgur.com/rK7wjou.png
rK7wjou.png

The configuration looks exactly the same except one seat missing. With no price difference, why not order the three seats and just take one out?

2nd row seats are mounted on a post that can move forward and back. Just removing the seat still leaves the post and its moveable support mechanism in place; an obvious safety hazard that also would defeat usability of the space.

What would be the difference between the 6-seat option and 7-seat option if you just remove the center one?

Although it's likely that new 6 seat configuration is same seats with middle seat removed (hopefully they will add arm rests - but I doubt it) - it is unlikely that 7 seats can be reduced to 6 at home because pedestal has to be strongly (and reliably) affixed to the floor and the seat itself for safety reasons.

Has anyone noticed they say ample seating for 7 with 3 adults in 2nd row or ample seating for 6 with 2 adults in second row? Is the third row no longer suitable for adults? Will it be children only like the rear facing third row in Model S? That would imply if you choose seating for 6 you would max out at 4 adults.
As a tall person, I think the 6-seater will make 5 tall adults and 1 one child more comfortable than the 7-seater could. An extra large (tall and/or wide) 3rd row passenger can stretch out even if the 1st and 2nd row seats are pushed way back.
I agree. The third row has always been designed for adults. IMHO, the rear seat of the six seat option should allow some extra leg room towards the center when the high school basketball team is traveling to the game or pep rally.
Exactly as I am thinking. A child can still sit next that 3rd row adult.

This would be my preferred configuration for long distance trips.

+1! But I also want 7 seats. :O
And let's not forget about the poor freaks who fully intended to take their X somewhere far away (or nearby) and, Gasp! Sleep in the back!! I'm thinking they (me) are still going to be disappointed.

And- 132 viewers on this thread ?! For years the whole X subforum never went above 40ish
welcome!

With the Six Seat Interior, the rear seat features a love seat configuration for a happy couple. They can enjoy a drive-in movie and view the film through the large vertical canopy front windshield. Once the wedding day and honeymoon are over, their marriage will last with the separate front seats. For those with children, the fighters can sit in the second row while the loving twins can sip lemonade using the dual cup holders at the rear. The unobstructed view in the rear view mirror allows the driver to check on the Tesla grin that each of the passengers are experiencing. The forever changing view through the large vertical canopy front windshield will provide hours of entertainment for all passengers while driving. No more fighting over what movie to watch. The Tesla Model X Six Seat Interior is perfect for all occasions.

However, let's not forget that one missing passenger. If the windshield roof area has the ability to be clear instead of tinted, then choosing the Seven Seat Interior might retain the "best seat in the house" for spectacular travel views from a central vantage point. The finest solution would be for the Six Seat Interior to be engineered for an optional adjustable folding center seat that could be mounted as an after market solution for the growing needs of the occupants. All three seats would be independently moveable and the center seat could be removable. May the designers and engineers be inspired to consider adding that future seat mounting for true happiness.

Last edited:
Yes, this was established weeks ago. It was going to be an option then it appeared as a standard config. You can always just keep it folded down.

Was it established by someone authoritative at TSLA that 3rd row is a standard config for Production X? It might be standard just for Sigs. We haven't seen the config screens for Production yet...

Last edited:
If this was always going to be the case tesla would have had this at the start of configuration. They read posts about not being able to put long stuff such as planks of wood through to the front console because of middle seat not folding and panicked.