Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Competing technologies to BEV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That has to be, without exception, the ugliest car that I have ever seen. The front end looks like some sort of nasty dog with overgrown incisors - and the back end makes me think that that same dog got fat and developed a rolled and wrinkled backside. Are they trying to develop a car with deliberate intent that nobody sober would buy it? If so, they've succeeded admirably.

That has to be, without exception, the ugliest car that I have ever seen. The front end looks like some sort of nasty dog with overgrown incisors - and the back end makes me think that that same dog got fat and developed a rolled and wrinkled backside. Are they trying to develop a car with deliberate intent that nobody sober would buy it? If so, they've succeeded admirably.

i would love love to test drive one just to confirm my belief that it is basically a Corolla at triple the price with special gas stations you have to use.

does anyone here have any access to test drive one? Would love it to be a model s owner

i would love love to test drive one just to confirm my belief that it is basically a Corolla at triple the price with special gas stations you have to use.

does anyone here have any access to test drive one? Would love it to be a model s owner

It should drive like a Leaf with a bit more oomph, or something like a Volt, but without the convenience of either.

Distinctive looking.
They want visibility.
It's like the Prius.

Toyota must have hired the designer of the Aztek for that masterpiece.

First Tesla competitor??

DailyTech - Audi is Latest to Step Into the Hydrogen Game, Delivers A7 Sportback h-tron quattro

A7h140003_large.jpg

I can see the market for this car, once you get past the infrastructure-challanges.

Yeah, they'd need to get the price to an acceptable level, and they'd need a lot of hydrogen stations, but I can see the potential.

Using hydrogen only for long distance driving means you can reduce the required number of hydrogen stations by probably over 90%. And living far away from a hydrogen station wouldn't be as much of a problem. You also mostly escape the issues surrounding the horrendous efficiency of the fuel cell and cost of hydrogen. Hydrogen is cheaper than rapid charging here... (Except Tesla, of course.)

Last edited:
Honda has planned the release of its fcv concept car for 2016. Honda is putting extra time to good use by helping build a hydrogen infrastructure in California.

Thank goodness Honda isn't leaving it all to the public to build out hydrogen stations! This will build maybe -- seven? Will one be anywhere within 50 miles of me? Probably not. No, make that Definitely Not.

But there is a supercharger 50 miles away, AND I HAVE A FUEL SUPPLY IN MY GARAGE! Which costs far, far less than hydrogen.

How are they going to compete? Not.

I kind of liked fuel cells 15 years ago, but for the past few years, I thought they were a joke with a wink from the big guys. Now they actually intend to sell these things? I'll still be surprised if they're buyable in all 50 states. If this really come to market, I can only expect staggering losses.

I've only read one article from a fcv owner, and it wasn't positive. Basically the hydrogen stations are not ready for prime time yet and there aren't nearly enough of them. Anyone know of any other first hand accounts?

No. But I've contacted Toyota, Honda and Huyndai Norway to express my interest and request to be a "pioneer customer" in 2016 most likely. It will likely be some sort of lease, I won't risk 60+ thousand $$$ to buy one of these. Also, if there is a very strict NDA (non disclosure agreement) forbidding me to write or blog about my experiences publically I'll most likely also not do it. I had very positive responses from Honda so far. I live within 60 km distance of 2 of 5 (?) filling stations in Norway. One is very close to my home.