Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Come on down! You're the next contestant on The Autopilot-Release-Date Is Right...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question for you Jason, regarding 2nd and 3rd places.
In a situation where every single date is chosen by someone, isn't the game setup such as:

1st place = actual date of release
2nd place = day before date of release
3rd place = two days before date of release?

For example, if tomorrow (8/20) is the auto-steer release date, whoever chose that would be winner (1st place).
Then whoever chose today (8/19) get second place, and whoever chose yesterday (8/18) would get 3rd place?

I'm just asking because, according to your spreadsheet, everyone until AndyW2100 who chose yesterday (8/18) is considered as "Did not place 3rd or better".
Whereas if my thinking is correct, AndyW2100 could still get 3rd place if the release date is tomorrow - albeit highly unlikely.

Thanks again for setting up the contest!

Unless he corrected it since you posted, I see pgiralt, who chose 8/16, as the most recent person shaded in red for "Did not place 3rd or better". MrClown, who chose 8/17, and I are both still green. Mr Clown could still take third, and as you point out, I could still take second. (I'd actually argue that should it be determined that autopilot was released yesterday, I could still win!:))

Perhaps Jason corrected the spreadsheet after you posted.

Quick question for you Jason, regarding 2nd and 3rd places.
In a situation where every single date is chosen by someone, isn't the game setup such as:

1st place = actual date of release
2nd place = day before date of release
3rd place = two days before date of release?

For example, if tomorrow (8/20) is the auto-steer release date, whoever chose that would be winner (1st place).
Then whoever chose today (8/19) get second place, and whoever chose yesterday (8/18) would get 3rd place?

I'm just asking because, according to your spreadsheet, everyone until AndyW2100 who chose yesterday (8/18) is considered as "Did not place 3rd or better".
Whereas if my thinking is correct, AndyW2100 could still get 3rd place if the release date is tomorrow - albeit highly unlikely.

Thanks again for setting up the contest!

Ah dang, sorry... looks like I was overzealous in my red highlights and was looking at the wrong date :p Sorry for the confusion. Fixed that. I don't know what day it is half the time anyway. lol.

Since it's "Price is Right" style, if your chosen date is AFTER (ie: higher) than the actual release date you can't win. So if it's released tomorrow (20th) everyone with dates for 8/21 and later can't win. 20th is first place since that's the closest, 19th second, 18th third, etc.

Your example looks correct for the data available. However it doesn't hold true if there are gaps. For example, andrewket has November 16, 2015, but can place 3rd or better any time between then and the 26th based on the entries since his would still be second closest without going over on the blank entries in between.

Hope this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps Jason corrected the spreadsheet after you posted.

I did. ;)

I'd actually argue that should it be determined that autopilot was released yesterday, I could still win!:)

Of course. Spreadsheet is based on current knowledge and I've no issue reverting based on new info. That would definitely be welcome news :)

Ah dang, sorry... looks like I was overzealous in my red highlights and was looking at the wrong date :p Sorry for the confusion. Fixed that. I don't know what day it is half the time anyway. lol.

Since it's "Price is Right" style, if your chosen date is AFTER (ie: higher) than the actual release date you can't win. So if it's released tomorrow (20th) everyone with dates for 8/21 and later can't win. 20th is first place since that's the closest, 19th second, 18th third, etc.

Your example looks correct for the data available. However it doesn't hold true if there are gaps. For example, andrewket has November 16, 2015, but can place 3rd or better any time between then and the 26th based on the entries since his would still be second closest without going over on the blank entries in between.

Hope this helps.

Makes total sense, thanks!

Late to the party, but I've got a theory. We've got three major rollouts coming, and I'm guessing they'll all be released at once.

1. Autopilot. Big software update release.
2. Ludicrous mode. Again, the software that goes with the hardware is likely in version 7.0. People are waiting for this release with vague information too.
3. Model X. Guessing first deliveries in October/November. Very likely going to be rolled out with version 7.0.

Could they roll out autopilot and the ludicrous mode software irrespective of when the X hits the market? Sure. But given the proximity of the estimated dates for these three events, my gut is that even if autopilot and ludicrous software is ready, they wait for the X to come off the production line before rolling out both ludicrous mode software (and hardware installation) and also autopilot software to everybody. This will allow the X to make a bigger splash when it's finally released, equipped with autopilot and ludicrous mode, which would be the first time the public will get to use those features. Lot of good publicity about some great features that ultimately gets tied to the X, making it a success no matter how delayed the production was.

So, if I was a betting man, I'd scope my expectation of autopilot coming out when model X's start rolling off the production line. late October/early November.

Oh nice. Just so I don't derail this thread, would you mind give a link to that info? I haven't heard a peep from anybody accepting delivery of a p90d yet, testing ludicrous mode, or that they're running it on 6.2. Thanks.

Honestly, come to think of it I'm inferring that it's 6.2 based on the dash interface of the one launch video I've been able to find so far. It doesn't match the interface of the leaked 7.0 video (since removed). Quote from the P85D HP thread:

Here is my cropped and mostly stabilized video that focuses on the dash of the P90D w/Ludicrous Mode video. (Side note, I don't like the "P90DL" stuff that's been thrown around for some reason... heh)

1/4 speed version at the end.

P90D with Ludicrous Mode Launch - Dash view - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I see some shots and videos of v7 on non-beta cars over in this thread: Firmware 7.0

No confirmation on whether lane keeping is included in this (the basis of this contest). I am keeping a close eye, though!
Yeah, my thought exactly a moment ago in a related thread with a video... main dash area significantly re-skinned, but the rest of the touch screen stuff looked essentially the same... and nothing that looked autopilot-specific. I think I got excited for nothing - maybe we'll see the new look in advance of the full feature set - wouldn't want to have to digest it all at once... ;-)

Carry on; nothing to see here.
Agreed Officer Barbrady ;-) - It looked different but didn't seem to include any added features.

Officer_Barbrady_Nothing_to_see_here.jpg

Uh oh, another potential reason for delays:

Apple Nabs Autonomous Driving Engineer From Tesla

Not sure what level "Autopilot Firmware Manager" has a Tesla, but it's probably high enough to impact the schedule...

Well, they were only manager for 4 months, not a long time. Not even long enough to come to grips with the team. Maybe they didn't want to be a manager and looked for something different. Maybe the project is nearing completion and they wanted to do something different. Or maybe it's all doomed to failure and they bugged out.

Well, they were only manager for 4 months, not a long time. Not even long enough to come to grips with the team. Maybe they didn't want to be a manager and looked for something different. Maybe the project is nearing completion and they wanted to do something different. Or maybe it's all doomed to failure and they bugged out.

Apple probably offered him huge money.

Maybe it's already mentioned in this thread. But does it matter which model gets the update? For example if the first Model X gets released with 7.0 + AP functionality that meets the criteria but the firmware doesn't roll out to model S's only a few weeks later, which date counts? Makes me think of it another fun guessing game : what will come out first? Model X in the hands of the first signature owners or AP on existing model S's? I am leaning towards the model X at this point but not by much!