Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging from NEMA 6-20 using NEMA 5-20 Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Be sure to very clearly mark any 120 volt plug that is used for 240 volts. If you think that there is any chance that somebody could grab this and use it for other than an EV, or for an EV charge cable that is 120 volt rated only, then I would add a tag on the adaptor that spells out what damage could be done.

Fire, equipment damage, injury, or death is possible for misuse.

IMG_2622.JPG

Be sure to very clearly mark any 120 volt plug that is used for 240 volts. If you think that there is any chance that somebody could grab this and use it for other than an EV, or for an EV charge cable that is 120 volt rated only, then I would add a tag on the adaptor that spells out what damage could be done.

Fire, equipment damage, injury, or death is possible for misuse.

View attachment 209799
Can you share me the parts you used to build this contraption? Not clear if you started with a male-male connector and attached a female connector on the one side of it.

That one is built with a molded L6-20 plug (not something you can find at Home Depot) and a Hubble NEMA 5-20R receptacle that you can find at Home Depot.

For a 20 amp circuit, 12 gauge copper wire is fine. Buy one foot of SOOW-12-3 cable, the NEMA 5-20R, and whatever plug you want on the other end (NEMA 6-20?)
So its as simple as buying a cable and two adapters and wiring them?that sounds easy, where do you get the 5-20R from Amazon?

So its as simple as buying a cable and two adapters and wiring them?that sounds easy, where do you get the 5-20R from Amazon?

I found this one at Amazon:

Leviton 5369-C 20 Amp, 125 Volt, Connector, Industrial Grade, Straight Blade, Grounding, Black-White - Electric Plugs - Amazon.com

Just search Amazon for 5-20R, 6-15P, 6-20P, etc. to see other options.

If you use a 6-15P it should work in both 15 and 20 Amp 240 V outlets. Likewise, you can use the appropriate 5-15 or 5-20 Tesla UMC adapter to get the correct current limit. While this is more versatile, you do have to be careful to match the Tesla adapter to the outlet (and wiring/breaker) that you use.

Amazon also sells 12/3 cable. I think you have to get at least 10' but that would take care of all the supplies needed.

GSP

See @Cosmacelf's post #6 upthread for a link to a 12Ga 6-20 20A, 240V extension cord - Charging from NEMA 6-20 using NEMA 5-20 Adapter

Just cut off the 6-20R and attach a 5-20R.

When I make adapters, I've taken to try to buy cords with the plug already attached (ie, dryer/range cords). One less connection to make.
Am having the electrician build the pigtail for me, he has installed the 6-20 for me. He thinks I would work but his concern is that the 5-20 is not rated for 240V so it could technically fry, is that a concern?

Am having the electrician build the pigtail for me, he has installed the 6-20 for me. He thinks I would work but his concern is that the 5-20 is not rated for 240V so it could technically fry, is that a concern?
What's not rated for 240, the 5-20 outlet, or Tesla's 5-20 adapter? The UMC itself is definitely rated for 240. Several people have used the 5-20 on 240 with one of these adapters. I've never heard of any issues (nor would I expect any).