Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Converting 5-20 receptacle to 6-20 receptacle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have abandoned the 6-20 idea obviously, since I have no dedicated neutral wire to apply to the 240V circuit. I will continue to use the 5-20 for the foreseeable future, until such tome as my Electric Dryer goes caput. When that happens I will invest in a gas dryer so I can re-purpose the 240V 30A dryer outlet as my new EV charger outlet for the garage. Just need to turn that around and have it face the garage instead. Then get a Tesla 10-30 adapter for the mobile charger.
Check into Gas Company rebates. My Gas company will give me something crazy like $600 rebate towards a gas dryer right now.

I can re-purpose the 240V 30A dryer outlet as my new EV charger outlet for the garage. Just need to turn that around and have it face the garage instead. Then get a Tesla 10-30 adapter for the mobile charger.

Great idea, just a word of caution. The 10-30 outlet is obsolete and cannot be used for new installations, you must now use the 14-30 (hot-hot-neutral-Ground). The 10-30 can still be purhased and used to replace and existing 10-30 outlet. I believe as long as you are only tuning the outlet around to face the garage you will be within code, but if you have to add wiring then I believe this will be considered a new install and a 14-30 will be required, by code.

I suggest you consider running a new circuit from the breaker to the garage and terminate at a Tesla Wall Connector.

Great idea, just a word of caution. The 10-30 outlet is obsolete and cannot be used for new installations, you must now use the 14-30 (hot-hot-neutral-Ground). The 10-30 can still be purhased and used to replace and existing 10-30 outlet. I believe as long as you are only tuning the outlet around to face the garage you will be within code, but if you have to add wiring then I believe this will be considered a new install and a 14-30 will be required, by code.

I suggest you consider running a new circuit from the breaker to the garage and terminate at a Tesla Wall Connector.
Could the 10-30 be repurposed into a 14-30 by using the old neutral for the new ground? The car doesn't need a neutral for charging. Perhaps if the receptacle is labeled "no neutral"? Then it would effectively be the same as a 14-30, with the safety of a ground.

Could the 10-30 be repurposed into a 14-30 by using the old neutral for the new ground? The car doesn't need a neutral for charging. Perhaps if the receptacle is labeled "no neutral"? Then it would effectively be the same as a 14-30, with the safety of a ground.
I certainly would not. “No neutral” doesn’t mean much to everyone. And if a dryer was plugged in “bad things might happen (tm)”.

Nope, that is a violation of code. In all honestly, I suggest you spend the money to run a new circuit and install a wall connector. It is best to just do it right.