Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pairing a 5-15 or 5-20 with a 6-20 receptacle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to install a 6-20 outlet and wondering if it's possible to wire with it a 5-20 off the same circuit in a double gang box. If I run dryer wire I have two hots, ground and a neutral. The 6-20 would only use the two hots and ground. I could (at least on paper) pick up one of the hots off the 6-20 (it's duplex) and use that with the unused neutral to wire a 5-20 receptacle in the same box.

This gets me both 120 and 240v sockets on the same double pole breaker. The 240v obviously uses both breakers but the 120 would only use the one. Not sure if this is a huge issue for any codes since technically one of the two poles could be used more than the other. In any case it's still protected with the right amp limit, just may trip if both receptacles are used at the same time...which Im ok with given the intended use.

Any input is appreciated. tIA

The 6-20 would only use the two hots and ground. I could (at least on paper) pick up one of the hots off the 6-20 (it's duplex) and use that with the unused neutral to wire a 5-20 receptacle in the same box

Yes it is easy to convert a 5-20 to a 6-20, but you cannot install both a 6-20 and a 5-20 on the same circuit.

To change a 5-20 to a 6-20 you replace the single pole breaker with a dual pole 20-amp breaker. Mark the white wire with with a piece of red tape and connect the black wire and the white/red to the breaker, leave the ground alone. Replace the 5-20 outlet with a 6-20 outlet and again, mark the white wire with a piece of red tape then connect it, and the black wire, to the hot terminals and connect the ground.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Looking to install a 6-20 outlet and wondering if it's possible to wire with it a 5-20 off the same circuit in a double gang box. If I run dryer wire I have two hots, ground and a neutral. The 6-20 would only use the two hots and ground. I could (at least on paper) pick up one of the hots off the 6-20 (it's duplex) and use that with the unused neutral to wire a 5-20 receptacle in the same box.

This gets me both 120 and 240v sockets on the same double pole breaker. The 240v obviously uses both breakers but the 120 would only use the one. Not sure if this is a huge issue for any codes since technically one of the two poles could be used more than the other. In any case it's still protected with the right amp limit, just may trip if both receptacles are used at the same time...which Im ok with given the intended use.

Any input is appreciated. tIA
In the US, it appears it is generally allowed with a double pole breaker (it's called a Multi-wire branch circuit at least according to below), but that's for outlets not installed for an EVSE.
Wiring for switched NEMA 6-20R and 5-20R in same box in garage
Can I install 120v and 240v receptacles behind the same two-pole breaker?
As mentioned, with the newer codes, for an outlet installed to charge an EV, it's generally required to be on its own circuit.
210.17 Electric Vehicle Branch Circuit.

Note this may not necessarily apply in Canada, which is not exactly the same. Plus there may be local amendments and not every local area is on the same code version. Most building/electrical inspection departments allow you to contact them with general code questions, so you can always ask your local government department.

Yes you can do this. Not sure why you said “dryer wire”, which would be 10 gauge but also meant for use after a receptacle, not for wiring a receptacle.

Just use 12/3 NM-B if you are running this within walls or in the attic.

Also, if these receptacles are in a garage, then use a GFCI 20A double pole breaker.

Yes it is easy to convert a 5-20 to a 6-20, but you cannot install both a 6-20 and a 5-20 on the same circuit.

To change a 5-20 to a 6-20 you replace the single pole breaker with a dual pole 20-amp breaker. Mark the white wire with with a piece of red tape and connect the black wire and the white/red to the breaker, leave the ground alone. Replace the 5-20 outlet with a 6-20 outlet and again, mark the white wire with a piece of red tape then connect it, and the black wire, to the hot terminals and connect the ground.

OP wasn’t talking about converting a circuit. He was talking about creating a new one.

Reactions: ATPMSD
Some companies sell receptacles with one outlet of each voltage. Leviton 5031 (5-15 + 6-15) and 5844 (5-20 + 6-20) being examples. You can wire them to separate circuits or to the same. The instruction sheet shows it wired with either a common feed or with each outlet on its own circuit:

Last edited: