Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging a Model S In the Wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just disconnect it from the charge port? Power is cut when not connected, for safety.
Then again, if the goal is to steal and resell the cable, doesn't cutting the cable render it mostly useless?
Is the cost of repairing a cable + the discount you'd need to sell a damaged/repaired cable a disincentive to the crime?

Disconnect from outlet will cut power.

Copper has intrinsic value.

Just disconnect it from the charge port? Power is cut when not connected, for safety.
Then again, if the goal is to steal and resell the cable, doesn't cutting the cable render it mostly useless?
Is the cost of repairing a cable + the discount you'd need to sell a damaged/repaired cable a disincentive to the crime?

I imagine that there is at least some threat from people stealing the cables to sell them for scrap metal. At least around here, the guys who buy the "scrap" are worse than pawn shop owners about questioning where something comes from. I doubt it's much better up there!

I imagine that there is at least some threat from people stealing the cables to sell them for scrap metal. At least around here, the guys who buy the "scrap" are worse than pawn shop owners about questioning where something comes from. I doubt it's much better up there!

Hey, hey... I take offense here... I am a scrap metal guy, and I have to admit that many of my collegues don't ask or don't care about the answer...

> Nothing will save you from a determined copper thief.
>

Tesla should have mounted the connector jack inside the trunk, or on the S inside the hatch door. A cable notch would be made in the door jamb big enough for the largest cable OD anticipated. Rubber grommets of various sizes would hang nearby- you would slip in the smallest for the 'basic cable' or larger to match whatever cable you are using at the moment. Then you would pull into the trunk all the excess cable that you can, based on how close to the EVSE you happened to park. Be sure the 'python' module is safely inside. Then clamp on a rubber faced 'vice-grip' style tool to prevent the cable being pulled out of the vehicle. Now, during charging, a perp can of course cut your cable, but all she will get will be whatever cable you left outside the vehicle. The valuable connector + at least a few feet of cable will remain, which will allow for easy repair since you won't have to take the connector apart.

When you came back to the car at the EVSE and discovered the cable theft, you thanked yourself for having remained there in person during enough of the charge cycle to allow for the trip home. Now just put in the 'no cable' grommet and drive off --or-- reach deep into the trunk and retrieve the spare cable + plug assembly, stripper tool, and crimp tool and effectuate the repair right then and there. Then complete the charge cycle.
--

> Nothing will save you from a determined copper thief.
>

Tesla should have mounted the connector jack inside the trunk, or on the S inside the hatch door. A cable notch would be made in the door jamb big enough for the largest cable OD anticipated. Rubber grommets of various sizes would hang nearby- you would slip in the smallest for the 'basic cable' or larger to match whatever cable you are using at the moment. Then you would pull into the trunk all the excess cable that you can, based on how close to the EVSE you happened to park. Be sure the 'python' module is safely inside. Then clamp on a rubber faced 'vice-grip' style tool to prevent the cable being pulled out of the vehicle. Now, during charging, a perp can of course cut your cable, but all she will get will be whatever cable you left outside the vehicle. The valuable connector + at least a few feet of cable will remain, which will allow for easy repair since you won't have to take the connector apart.

When you came back to the car at the EVSE and discovered the cable theft, you thanked yourself for having remained there in person during enough of the charge cycle to allow for the trip home. Now just put in the 'no cable' grommet and drive off --or-- reach deep into the trunk and retrieve the spare cable + plug assembly, stripper tool, and crimp tool and effectuate the repair right then and there. Then complete the charge cycle.
--
Not sure if you are being tongue-in-cheek or serious.

> Not sure if you are being tongue-in-cheek or serious.

The important thing is how do *you* feel about this. 8^|

It is actually much easier for me to squeeze fob than to pry open charge door. Maybe just a little wd40 is all I need. Since the 'basic cable' is all I own I'd much rather have as much of it as possible within the locked trunk, esp since it takes some 4 hrs+ to add any kind of margin to my expected range. And I'd much rather be somewhere else rather than watching this process.
--

Or fodder for "don't touch my cable or my car will kill you, punk."
I think it's more like, "Go ahead. Touch it. Make my day."
All of which would just make people scared (even more than they already are) of electric cars. You have to know that there are already people afraid that electric cars will electrocute them. These are the kind of jokes that can go viral, turn from jokes to urban legends, and make it that much harder to gain widespread public acceptance. Do you really want to promote a general belief that EVs are dangerous? The up side: maybe a vandal leaves your car alone. The down side: they pass laws against installing public chargers because a child who touches a cable may be killed.