Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging a Model S In the Wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noiticed from some of the photos from the factory today that the Clipper Creek TS-70's had been retrofitted with the new Tesla plug for the Model S! For those that have the Clipper Creek EVSE you should be able to buy just the cable and connector and charge at 70 amps. Not quite as fast as the 80 amps that is available from the new HPWC, but fast enough for me, and a savings from purchasing the new HPWC. Just thought I would throw that out for people to think about.

Last edited:
I noiticed from some of the photos from the factory today that the Clipper Creek TS-70's had been retrofitted with the new Tesla plug for the Model S! For those that have the Clipper Creek EVSE you should be able to buy just the cable and connector and charge at 70 amps. Not quite as fast as the 90 amps that is available from the new HPWC, but fast enough for me, and a savings from purchasing the new HPWC. Just thought I would throw that out for people to think about.

70A is definitely fast enough. I think the new HPWC tops out at 80A but still really fast.

I noiticed from some of the photos from the factory today that the Clipper Creek TS-70's had been retrofitted with the new Tesla plug for the Model S! For those that have the Clipper Creek EVSE you should be able to buy just the cable and connector and charge at 70 amps. Not quite as fast as the 80 amps that is available from the new HPWC, but fast enough for me, and a savings from purchasing the new HPWC. Just thought I would throw that out for people to think about.

Maybe the TS-70. I don't think you'll be able to put a Model S connector on the end of the HPC that was made for the Roadster. TS-70 can handle the proximity signal but I don't think the HPC can. I'm looking forward to finding out!

002.JPG

Taken yesterday, These same EVSE's had roadster connectors on them at the Factory event.

Maybe the TS-70. I don't think you'll be able to put a Model S connector on the end of the HPC that was made for the Roadster. TS-70 can handle the proximity signal but I don't think the HPC can. I'm looking forward to finding out!

Last edited:
I was asking because I have been looking forward to stopping at the burgerville in Centralia where there is a Roadster HPC for a combination car/driver recharge since I reserved my car.

Heh. I am sitting in my car, charging at Burgerville as I read this.

I've talked to several employees, and they all insist the converter will be available--although none of them knew any details.

I don't think that's the same machine as the Roadster HPC. I could be wrong. The Roadster HPC had no way of handling the proximity signal. J1772 requires that. It's easy to put a Roadster connector on a machine made for J1772 but not the other way around.

The proximity signal requires no circuitry in the EVSE. It is fully implemented with the switch and 2 resistors in the J1772 connector itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772

J1772_signaling_circuit.gif