Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging a Model S In the Wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anybody really worried about this?
I am more worried about Sharktopus than a fellow Tesla owner taking my UMC.

I locked down my Tesla-J1772 adaptor - not because I was overly worried that someone might take it, but because IF someone took it, continued charging on my roadtrip was a problem. Regardless of the low probability, the severity was too high to accept. So I locked it to the car.

Of course now I have the cool adaptor that hcsharp has made - and that has an easy lock solution.

Is anybody really worried about this?
I am more worried about Sharktopus than a fellow Tesla owner taking my UMC.

Good question. In a year with my Roadster I've only charged away from home when I was making a point to use the charge station (encouraging local authorities and at events, that sort of thing); I could have done 100% of my charging at home - Actually makes me wonder why I paid $750 for the J1772 adaptor? :frown:

There is a market for goods of all kinds. While only only certain car owners can use one, that doesn't mean an enterprising person might not steal a bunch and sell them cheaper (especially online, e.g., eBay), without saying where they got them.

There is a market for goods of all kinds. While only only certain car owners can use one, that doesn't mean an enterprising person might not steal a bunch and sell them cheaper (especially online, e.g., eBay), without saying where they got them.

If Tesla put a serial number on each one, it would be pretty easy to verify they were legitimate. Also Tesla doesn't sell them to wholesalers so if someone is has a dozen in inventory...

Not to mention vandalism. Stealing them just to be nasty, and then throwing them away (to reduce the risk of getting caught). I believe that most people are basically decent. But there are always exceptions.

This item will go on sale this week as soon as the web site is finished. It is a better than the cable and lock as it prevents the cable from sliding and going to another car. I'll advise when the site is up and tested. $40

http://connectorprotector.com

photo cp.jpg

NigelM, I have a variation of that with my Volt. But haven't had to use it yet, fortunately, but its in my trunk space in case I feel the need.

I know this is only meant to be a deterrent, and not a failsafe. It's not impossible to lift your car enough to remove it. Esp. if its a group of vandals. (You'd think it won't be an issue, but if you charge using your UMC regularly in the same spot, it won;don't be hard for people to plan ahead.) But perhaps you could thread the lock strap through your wheel spoke. Would make it just a little more difficult, thus being a slightly higher deterrent (though still not a failsafe). But it might be enough more to make it even less appealing to tamper.

As for the cable protector, I have something like that also. It's just slightly more of a hassle since you have to set it up then run your tire over it just to the right position.

When vandals/thieves are walking around with these things, you're parked in the wrong part of town:
yhst-17665666401044_2214_121389426.gif

As someone who use a bicycle as my only (other than transit) transportation for about 4 years I fear bolt cutters. They are easily put into a backpack. I have seen a bicycle get stolen in about 10 seconds.

Guy walking out of the subway station.
Swings backpack to front, pull out bolt cutters (the handles may have been cut short).
Cuts about 3 locks. Pulls 1 bike from the rack.
Picks it up, and about 5 seconds prior to that a pickup truck pulled up to the curb, and puts it in the truck.
He gets in the passenger seat and they drive off.

It looked like he just came out of the station with a bike and got picked up by a friend. I don't know why he cut that many locks though. It was really weird.

This is also why I brought my bike to class with me while at college.

I would think the amount of power going through the wire would deter some people. I also imagine that having your cord cut and stolen would be less likely than them smashing your window and grabbing stuff from the car.

As someone who use a bicycle as my only (other than transit) transportation for about 4 years I fear bolt cutters. They are easily put into a backpack. I have seen a bicycle get stolen in about 10 seconds.

Guy walking out of the subway station.
Swings backpack to front, pull out bolt cutters (the handles may have been cut short).
Cuts about 3 locks. Pulls 1 bike from the rack.
Picks it up, and about 5 seconds prior to that a pickup truck pulled up to the curb, and puts it in the truck.
He gets in the passenger seat and they drive off.

It looked like he just came out of the station with a bike and got picked up by a friend. I don't know why he cut that many locks though. It was really weird.

This is also why I brought my bike to class with me while at college.

I would think the amount of power going through the wire would deter some people. I also imagine that having your cord cut and stolen would be less likely than them smashing your window and grabbing stuff from the car.
A bike in Amsterdam changes from owner about 25 times in it's lifetime: bikes amsterdam - Google Search

I honestly don't think anybody is going to cut a charging cable with a boltcutter when they are not able to cut the power.

Could be that it's due to the location where I live, but I don't see people stealing charging cables in the near future.

I honestly don't think anybody is going to cut a charging cable with a boltcutter when they are not able to cut the power.
Just disconnect it from the charge port? Power is cut when not connected, for safety.
Then again, if the goal is to steal and resell the cable, doesn't cutting the cable render it mostly useless?
Is the cost of repairing a cable + the discount you'd need to sell a damaged/repaired cable a disincentive to the crime?