Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger etiquette, what do you think?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Umc
IMG_6834.jpeg

Wall connector

IMG_6835.jpeg

IMG_6836.jpeg

Is the SC the same?

even if it isn't marked, there is somewhat of a tacit request to be plugged in.
I would not plug in for someone else if the car is parked at a non charging bay even if next to charging bag, and the charging is not free. But if the charging is free - yes.

I cannot do that with my mobile connector.

The Gen2 mobile connector button only opens the charge port door if the vehicle is unlocked according to the manual. I don't have one so i can't verify:

Screen Shot 2023-10-28 at 1.14.37 pm.png

The Gen3 Wall connector button will open the charge port door if the vehicle is locked. I have verified that it works without a phone key nearby. The owners manual does not say the vehicle has to be unlocked either.

Last edited:
I would like to think I live in a world where that would happen. :)

I must admit though, until reading this thread, I did not realise that you can unlock the charge port on someone else's car by pressing the button on the handle. Now that I know, please only park next to me at a charger if you would like it to happen, because it might...

I would like to think I live in a world where that would happen. :)

I must admit though, until reading this thread, I did not realise that you can unlock the charge port on someone else's car by pressing the button on the handle. Now that I know, please only park next to me at a charger if you would like it to happen, because it might...
I'm still surprised that it does. I would have thought the owner would have to be nearby, or at least the car unlocked to open it.
I lost the engine in a perfectly good EL Falcon back in the day when someone put sugar in my fuel tank hahaha. First and last ford i ever owned, but im digressing..
I probably wouldn't plug the charger in to someone else's car, or expect anyone to do that to mine unless we had talked about it first, or they left a note asking me to do it etc; then id be more than obliging :)

Strictly speaking, this isn't true. At a Supercharger at least the button on the Supercharger handle can open the flap of a locked car. Useful for plugging in people who block Superchargers. Plug them in and hope they get some expensive idle fees! :p

Anyway, in this case - was it a Tesla destination charger? Maybe the Model 3 wasn't locked?

As far as I'm aware, that only works on older Model S vehicles (pre-2016?). All new vehicles require the car to be unlocked (or key fob in range on S/X) in order to open the charge port.

Sorry, I'm in the "you don't touch other peoples stuff" camp.

Seems harmless enough, but what if something were to go wrong and you were the one that plugged it in?

Then don't park next to the chargers. If the cord reaches, it's common charging etiquette to plug in a neighboring EV when you're finished charging. There are all kinds of caveats such as trip hazards, pay-to-use stations, cars with locked charge ports, other people waiting to charge, etc... but in general, this is common method of sharing a limited resource. In cars with manual charge port doors, the signal to "plug me in when you're done" is to leave the charge port door open.

I guess you could just get one of these and walk around opening peoples chargeports without leaving finger prints :)

Cheaper than a S3XY button too.

• Helpful
Reactions: Midnight Man
As far as I'm aware, that only works on older Model S vehicles (pre-2016?). All new vehicles require the car to be unlocked (or key fob in range on S/X) in order to open the charge port.

FWIW I've done it on a Model 3 (that was blocking a Supercharger, not plugged in). And it sounds like some other people in this thread have tried it on other newer vehicles as well so apparently it still works.

Reactions: fholbert
FWIW I've done it on a Model 3 (that was blocking a Supercharger, not plugged in). And it sounds like some other people in this thread have tried it on other newer vehicles as well so apparently it still works.
If it works then it's a bad design by Tesla.
I had to use my phone to unlock my car last night when I had sentry mode on. Sentry mode thought I was an intruder when I opened tho door.
It does not make sense that I have to unlock my car with my phone but someone else can unlock my charge port without my phone or card key.

I'm surprised that haven't changed this as well (seems like it would be a pretty simple software update to only open the flap if the car is unlocked or key present).

I guess it's not really much of a security risk. Sure, somebody could open the flap. OK. And they could then, what, vandalize the charge port behind it? If they're out to damage the car they could just pry the charge port open anyway.

I'm surprised that haven't changed this as well (seems like it would be a pretty simple software update to only open the flap if the car is unlocked or key present).

I guess it's not really much of a security risk. Sure, somebody could open the flap. OK. And they could then, what, vandalize the charge port behind it? If they're out to damage the car they could just pry the charge port open anyway.
I could be a safety issue. Parents don't want kids to mess up with the charge port. It could be dangerous.

I could be a safety issue. Parents don't want kids to mess up with the charge port. It could be dangerous.

That doesn't really make sense.

First off, it's not dangerous... EV charge ports aren't energized until a plug is connected. It's safe to stick fingers, paperclips, dirt, whatever in it (safe for the human at least, they could damage the port).

If it were dangerous, we should be much more worried about all the Teslas sitting unlocked in garages (walk away lock is often turned off at home). Much more opportunity there for kids to interact unsupervised with an unlocked Tesla in their own home.