Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger etiquette, what do you think?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My better half was at the local shopping center in our M3 the other day. She drove around to check if any of the 4 charging spots were available.
There was some issue with who was first to the only remaining charge spot so she let another non Tesla into the spot and parked along side.
When she got back, about an hour later, the other car had left. That driver had plugged our M3 into the charger when they had driven off.
Is this the right thing to do?

How? The Tesla charge flap closes and locks. It will only open when the car is unlocked or there’s a phone key next to it.

Strictly speaking, this isn't true. At a Supercharger at least the button on the Supercharger handle can open the flap of a locked car. Useful for plugging in people who block Superchargers. Plug them in and hope they get some expensive idle fees! :p

Anyway, in this case - was it a Tesla destination charger? Maybe the Model 3 wasn't locked?

My better half was at the local shopping center in our M3 the other day. She drove around to check if any of the 4 charging spots were available.
There was some issue with who was first to the only remaining charge spot so she let another non Tesla into the spot and parked along side.
When she got back, about an hour later, the other car had left. That driver had plugged our M3 into the charger when they had driven off.
Is this the right thing to do?
Not sure if your complaining or thanking.

The other driver knew your wife needed a charge and she was parked in a charging stall. I’d say the other driver was performing a courtesy. Assume your wife got a text when charging started?

Had you wife racked up a couple hours of idle fees… Well, she was parked in a charging stall.

• Informative
Reactions: gsmith123
The car was locked. The charging flap can be opened from the charger lead.
Well, you learn something new every day. I just tried it with my Tesla WC Gen 3 at home. Locked the car then turned BT off on my phone. The Wall Connector button does indeed open the charging flap and plug straight in. However, once plugged in it can’t be removed without unlocking the car via card or Bluetooth or app.

Well, you learn something new every day. I just tried it with my Tesla WC Gen 3 at home. Locked the car then turned BT off on my phone. The Wall Connector button does indeed open the charging flap and plug straight in. However, once plugged in it can’t be removed without unlocking the car via card or Bluetooth or app.
interesting indeed, i would have thought that a RFID or BT device associated with that car would have to be nearby to open the charge port to prevent vandalism etc. Im pretty happy my ICE fuel cap cant be opened (without excessive force) by passers-by :)

She was parked next to a Tesla destination charger, not in the marked space.
The car was locked. The charging flap can be opened from the charger lead.
No harm done but be aware that you can be plugged in by ot

I cannot do that with my mobile connector.