Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO Adapter (coming this winter)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still pricey, I think I would add a dual charger for a bit more before getting this. Unless, my idea, at least in my area I know 4-5 other MS Owners, a idea (If everyone is comfortable with this) is to pool the money for one, and share it as needed. Since it's really only needed for road trips, whoever is most likely to use it will take it with them, and just bounce it back and fourth as needed. I know it may be handy when going to Dallas/Plano this winter.

Whoa! Sticker shock for sure. 70 mph isn't great either - I would have expected better. I'm happy with superchargers.
I wonder if the infrastructure/installation of the chademo chargers are *mainly* setup for ~25kW max charging which seems to be what the LEAF (and i-MEV) does?

That is to say Tesla would not want to overtax those chargers and cause a problem. Read: bad PR and backlash from the chademo community.

Charging Power as a Function of Time - EPRI LEAF
EPRI - Elect Power Research Institute - http://www.epri.com/Pages/Default.aspx

3vVFU2F.png

Battery Capacitor and State-of-Charge - EPRI LEAF
EAAgAZz.png

Last edited:
I wonder if the infrastructure/installation of the chademo chargers are *mainly* setup for ~25kW max charging which seems to be what the LEAF (and i-MEV) does?
I'm guessing Leaf owners to should chime in. They probably know the actual average and peak charging speeds at the 50kW chargers.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know enough about the CHADEMO standard but I don't understand why the adapter is $1000, that seems outrageous to me. Why is it so much more than other adapters? Can someone explain why the CHADEMO makes the adapter so complicated and expensive?
There's a couple things. First, the CHAdeMO socket itself is expensive (don't remember off the top of my head but definitely over $100, maybe a couple hundred). Second, it has to handle more power, and as jerry33 points out, it's more complicated than the UMC. I would have expected it to cost even more.

The only thing that makes it not really that worth it is if it's really derated to 70mph. If it's full power (140mph) then I think $1k is probably still worth it for the people who need it.

Admittedly I wouldnt use it much around town. As you said, Tucson trips perhaps, and certainly for LA trips, quite a few out there. Getting to SCs while in LA may not always be easy (assuming I can get to LA at some point in the future). So having access to use Chademo would be helpful. And I'm assuming there will be some future buildout, though it's not a given. I like (as Elon would say) "optionality".

I was figuring you'd say for LA trips -- I could see it being handy for a road trip once or twice a year (once the SC gap from PHX to LA is bridged)...

The way I see it, I'd need to use this adapter at least 30 times to justify the cost, especially if it would only be used on a couple trips a year. Wonder if Tesla would consider renting them for ~$100/week? Either that, or get 4-5 locals together and go in on a shared one...

The way I see it, I'd need to use this adapter at least 30 times to justify the cost, especially if it would only be used on a couple trips a year. Wonder if Tesla would consider renting them for ~$100/week? Either that, or get 4-5 locals together and go in on a shared one...

That is my thought also. Get a group of 3-4 local Tesla owners you know and have a shared Chademo adapter.

I think this is a terrific additional option but clearly the value proposition is dependent on local availability -- just for context I thought some maps would help. These are from the CHAdemMO.com's own Google map of stations (
http://www.chademo.com/kml/CHAdeMO_map_in_130817.kml)

Here's a map of North America: WA & OR residents stand to benefit the most.

screenshot_307.jpg

But you can see why the European market would really need a CHAdeMO solution, especially since there is a paucity of Superchargers there:
screenshot_308.jpg

Not to mention Japan (wow!) (http://www.chademo.com/kml/CHAdeMO_map_jp_1004e.kml):

screenshot_309.jpg

That is my thought also. Get a group of 3-4 local Tesla owners you know and have a shared Chademo adapter.
That was my thought as well. I'd buy one and then rent it out to others in the area for $50 a week. Unlikely to make me money, but should at least offset some of the cost. And the only one with an upfront investment is me (so no need to create a little club with bylaws and rules and reasons for things to go south...)

WA & OR residents stand to benefit the most.
And this corresponds to what the adapter shop pages states:
http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s/products/chademo-adapter
Take advantage of CHAdeMO’s network of 50 kW charging stations by enabling onboard hardware and purchasing an external adapter. CHAdeMO stations charge at the rate of approximately 70 miles of range per hour of charge with locations primarily in the Pacific Northwest.

At $1000 this isn't something I'm going to jump on just to have on hand as it's likely something I would rarely need. In fact, the better option might be if Tesla would loan them out rent them out on an 'as needed' basis. I'd much rather pay $100 to rent one for a trip I expect to need it for rather than to buy it outright and maybe only use it once or twice the entire time I own the car. Maybe an entrepreneurial owner will start his/her own rental program.

But you can see why the European market would really need a CHAdeMO solution, especially since there is a paucity of Superchargers there:
View attachment 32340

heh, always fun to see our small Estonia on those maps. We've got some serious amount of 50 kW chargers and I'd be very interested in a full 50 kW charger as 25 really is no step up from the twin charger capacity that every single charger in Estonia can do with Type-2 connector next to CHAdeMO at 22kW.

heh, always fun to see our small Estonia on those maps. We've got some serious amount of 50 kW chargers and I'd be very interested in a full 50 kW charger as 25 really is no step up from the twin charger capacity that every single charger in Estonia can do with Type-2 connector next to CHAdeMO at 22kW.

lol, I thought of you when I noticed how dense the chadmo chargers are in Estonia!

The European adapter will be different than the US one, so it's still possible for it to be 50kW even if it's confirmed the US one isn't.

Something to consider depending on where you might use this, is the buildout of the SAE Combo charging plug stations. The stated plan is for many government/power company CHAdeMO chargers to be retrofitted with an additional SAE Combo Plug in the next couple of years, so for many non-Nissan charging points, the CHAdeMO adapter may not be needed. Of course, that's not going to happen overnight.

Presumably Tesla will offer a compatible adapter, or perhaps better, just replace the current J1772 with a Combo plug adapter. The cost shouldn't be much more for the Combo plug than the J1772.