Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apples and oranges: low-power DC devices like USB are generally unregulated in the US; high power devices like EV chargers are subject to electrical and fire code.

And in Europe, they are trying to mandate some USB standards. But that’s off-subject for this thread.
to steer this exact issue back on topic: If USB standards were mandated, until decades of bickering by committees, we'd be stuck with the old USB-A/USB-C, ~100 Kbps data rates, with no detents to keep the plugs into the big sockets and only 5v/500mA of possible charging power.
Remember that Europe was greenwashing by smugly cheating on diesel emissions testing while the US and Japan were figuring out what is important in EVs. After Tesla and CCS1 showed viable pathways (good and less-good) to humanity, they jumped in on the less-good path and built and mandated CCS2, ensuring it would be different and incompatible, thus forcing automakers to spend more to adapt in order to access their markets.

I'd say no. It'll all be due to testing and supply constraints.

They're only selling in South Korea. That's the market that needed it the most.
They did need regulatory approval in South Korea, although I'm not aware of equivalent requirements in the US.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/the-mapping-singularity-is-near-medium-definition-maps.225350/

There is however UL/CE testing (which is required for certain charging equipment to be allowed to be installed under permit), but this testing does not involve the government and may not necessarily apply to a dumb adapter (edit I checked that the regular J1772 adapter does have RU and CE markings meaning they do need to meet UL/CE standards).

to steer this exact issue back on topic: If USB standards were mandated, until decades of bickering by committees, we'd be stuck with the old USB-A/USB-C, ~100 Kbps data rates, with no detents to keep the plugs into the big sockets and only 5v/500mA of possible charging power.
Remember that Europe was greenwashing by smugly cheating on diesel emissions testing while the US and Japan were figuring out what is important in EVs. After Tesla and CCS1 showed viable pathways (good and less-good) to humanity, they jumped in on the less-good path and built and mandated CCS2, ensuring it would be different and incompatible, thus forcing automakers to spend more to adapt in order to access their markets.
CCS2 adds 3phase which is lacking from the Tesla and CCS1 connector. Many many more CCS2 ports exist than CCS1. They mandated CCS2 as fits with the local building power much better than CCS1 does. When we have a common connector it will need to be one that supports 3phase power.

Until then the Tesla connector is great. I look forward to seeing what is on the semi-truck. Rumor is that supposed to support 1.5mW of DC, nothing has been stated about even supporting A/C hopefully it will be a single A/C D/C connector. If the CT is delayed long enough, and the connector becomes widely adopted who knows it may have this new connector.

Remember that Europe was greenwashing by smugly cheating on diesel emissions testing
”Europe” is pretty broad. Dieselgate was due to VW/Audi. Most other European brands were not involved.

while the US and Japan were figuring out what is important in EVs.
Again, I think you’re too broad here. For the last decade, most EVs besides Tesla have been compliance cars. They have been hard to find, especially outside California and similar markets with pollution requirements. And apart from the Nissan Leaf, “Japan” has not been pushing hard for EVs - until recently, Toyota’s strategy was around hybrids and, to a much lesser extent, fuel cells.

”Europe” is pretty broad. Dieselgate was due to VW/Audi. Most other European brands were not involved.
That isn't how I remember it:

What major European brand wasn't involved?

That isn't how I remember it:

Thanks, I didn’t find those links at first but the sources are reliable.

What major European brand wasn't involved?
Interesting. A bit more internet searches show that while the Germans and VW in particular were the worst offenders, it seems that even PSA and Volvo were tagged. So I stand corrected that Dieselgate seems pretty widespread across Europe.

For the last decade, most EVs besides Tesla have been compliance cars.
It started long before the last decade. As Americans (don't worry, I won't let us get by easy either) were buying ever larger SUVs (Ford Valdez Expedition anyone) to exploit CAFE loopholes.
This is all based on my recollection of 2nd hand info at the time so please forgive any errors and verify if you want to use seriously: CHAdeMO came from a TEPCO (Tokyo Electric Power Company) study back around the turn of the millennium where TEPCO bought a bunch of runabout EVs (Nissan Hypermini, IIRC) for their employees at their Tokyo headquarters building. The cars had about 30 miles of range and they had chargers at a reserved parking space for each of them. They found that hardly any trips exceeded ~5 miles from the lot. They, then, installed about 3 DCFCs radially out from the factory at about 20 miles. They found that, immediately, usage shot up to using much of the cars' range but the 3 DCFCs were hardly ever used. The conclusion was that having the backup plan fortified the courage of drivers to make better use of the cars. CHAdeMO (formerly referred to as 'the TEPCO Standard') was created to meet that need.
There were also many discussions, battles, and trials throughout the 1990s about which was better: Conductive or Inductive and Onboard or Offboard chargers. Fast charging didn't really enter the discussion until its effect on batteries and how to do it safely and without too much damage was better understood towards the end of the 1990s.
Compliance cars came after the ZEV mandate was forced back into effect in the early 2010's, after it had been effectively nullified by CARB following the 2003 hearing but Tesla, GM, and Nissan showed EVs were doable with the Roadster, Volt, and Leaf in the early 2010's.

I'll also note that, while non-Germans haven't been busted for cheating. Most Europeans (the people and the manufacturers), were smugly driving diesels and thinking they were saving the planet. There was almost zero effort in Europe (other than Renault - kudos should be noted!) to do anything electric until Tesla started clobbering the German luxury brands.

• Informative
Reactions: gglockner
And possibly the logistics of handling retrofits for cars that aren't CCS1 enabled (or dealing with the PR involved with not providing such retrofits).
Nah, the retrofits will be available. No changes to the port are needed, and the Gen4 ECU is electrically compatible with the previous (Gen 3 ECU) ports but the firmware & pin positions need to change (that's the reason for a different P/N, eventually). The part for the retrofit kit is listed in the parts catalog, but it's not available to buy yet. You can still get it working with a Gen4 ECU/Gen3 port, with a little Bundle of Wires kit I put together in the retrofit thread (pinned in Model 3 charging forum). At the moment it's just that the Gen4 ECU is programmed only for Gen4 ports, but the kit I made adapts the wiring/sensors necessary to make it happy. I'm charging with CCS today on my 2018 Model 3 with the EVHub (Ukranian) adapter & Gen4 ECU. :)

Nah, the retrofits will be available. No changes to the port are needed, and the Gen4 ECU is electrically compatible with the previous (Gen 3 ECU) ports but the firmware & pin positions need to change (that's the reason for a different P/N, eventually). The part for the retrofit kit is listed in the parts catalog, but it's not available to buy yet. You can still get it working with a Gen4 ECU/Gen3 port, with a little Bundle of Wires kit I put together in the retrofit thread (pinned in Model 3 charging forum). At the moment it's just that the Gen4 ECU is programmed only for Gen4 ports, but the kit I made adapts the wiring/sensors necessary to make it happy. I'm charging with CCS today on my 2018 Model 3 with the EVHub (Ukranian) adapter & Gen4 ECU. :)
What power, and what rated power on the station?

What power, and what rated power on the station?
I've been up to 190kW on a 350kW station -- those ratings are max power at optimal voltage, but the Model 3 uses a lower 400v battery, so it's limited by amperage. For example, expect 90kW or so on a 150kW station, or 55-65kW on more common ones, from what I've experienced.

Basically, you're no longer limited by the adapter, but rather by the station.

Nothing has been worse than the CHAdeMO adapter's paltry 125A/44kW limit, though. Every CCS station has far outrun that measly little thing!

Nah, the retrofits will be available.
[...]
The part for the retrofit kit is listed in the parts catalog, but it's not available to buy yet
Note that I said the logistics of handling the retrofit. The parts and the procedure may be known but Tesla may want to have sufficient quantities to meet (at least partial) demand before making the adapter available. We know that electronic components to enable CCS have been scarce, at least in the past, as seen by batches of newer cars that have indicated CCS not enabled (hence the need for a retrofit).

What I was trying to point out is that Tesla may be delaying CCS adapter availability in North America because of lack of stock of the adapter itself. However, it might equally be because they don't have sufficient quantities of the components needed to retrofit non-capable cars and they don't want to deal with complaints and confusion about this.

I've been up to 190kW on a 350kW station -- those ratings are max power at optimal voltage, but the Model 3 uses a lower 400v battery, so it's limited by amperage. For example, expect 90kW or so on a 150kW station, or 55-65kW on more common ones, from what I've experienced.

Basically, you're no longer limited by the adapter, but rather by the station.

Nothing has been worse than the CHAdeMO adapter's paltry 125A/44kW limit, though. Every CCS station has far outrun that measly little thing!

I am not an EE. Do you have any concerns with the evhub adapter at the higher kW? I haven't seen anyone do a teardown of it to validate how it is built and whether it should handle this amount of voltage and amperage. I haven't had any issues with my evhub adapter but was just curious on your thoughts.

I am not an EE. Do you have any concerns with the evhub adapter at the higher kW? I haven't seen anyone do a teardown of it to validate how it is built and whether it should handle this amount of voltage and amperage. I haven't had any issues with my evhub adapter but was just curious on your thoughts.

You can see the internal of the EVHub adapter here.

Nah. Temperature sensors in both the port and the CCS charging handle. The only result of high kW over a weak connection is heat - and both sides know how hot they're getting, and back off the power if too hot. I have more concerns over the weight of CCS' magnificently, hilariously, grotequely heavy cords being placed on that tiny little stub of a Tesla outlet, than anything. It would cause any adapter (Tesla's or EVHub's) to flex, reducing the contact area between the pins and sockets of the Tesla DC pins. Fairly bad... but entirely the fault of the CCS station designers that make the cables 2-4x thicker than they have any right to be. 🤦‍♂️

I have more concerns over the weight of CCS' magnificently, hilariously, grotequely heavy cords...but entirely the fault of the CCS station designers that make the cables 2-4x thicker than they have any right to be. 🤦‍♂️
Perhaps, from a design perspective. But, and I'm guessing here, the heavier cords also stand up better and longer to the abuse they take in use. It could be cheaper to deliver a more bulletproof cable than to have to change them out more frequently. As an example, I saw one (apparently new) user at a supercharger trying to yank out the cable thinking it was mounted on a retractable device and could extend the distance to where he parked the car, instead of parking closer (better). Two others at the site and I all saw this, and engaged the owner trying to explain that wasn't quite how it worked. Small sampling to be sure, and maybe irrelevant. But over-engineering has its place.

Superchargers also get a heck of a lot more use and abuse though.

Those thick CCS cables can't be helping. The reason for it is overzealous regulations, that add inordinate amounts of copper to the cables, vs. what Tesla does with liquid cooling. CCS cables even have liquid cooling, sometimes (exception, not the rule - EA has a lot of liquid-cooled installations), but the way these companies build it is orders of magnitude more expensive than what Tesla does - and to little benefit (the cooling isn't essential, as the wires are overly thick for the work they do).

Tesla really pushes the limit of what's possible with the cables -- way more amps than the gauge should allow, and liquid cooling barely keeps up -- but other manufacturers are veering way, way too far into overly safe territory. If the roles were swapped, and Tesla's cables were rarely used while CCS was the majority, I'd bet they'd not have much more of a robustness margin.

Instead, they just mostly serve as a barrier to entry to EVs - cables so thick they're practically off-putting (but at least they're no longer jet-fuel connectors that downright require two hands to operate). Pardon the old meme. ;)

chademo jet fuel.jpg

Unfortunately, as it goes in the traditional "follow the line, don't question the rules, build to spec" market, this likely won't change unless regulations change (and they should). The deadlock of "but it's saaaaafety" means nobody really wants to build something better, just always More Safer.

Reactions: gglockner