Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate scalpers!

Hey! Watch it! My mother is a scalper. (Just kidding.)

*****​

Actually, I tend to agree. Using attempted humor I've publicly complained here in the past about people asking outrageous prices on eBay for Tesla items that were still available for less on the Tesla "Shop" site. Now, after further thought, I have to say that there are at least two circumstances that dampen my automatic disdain for originators of high asking prices:
  1. The item is not otherwise available for sale (by Tesla).
  2. The item is for sale in an auction format.
Both conditions seem to apply, in part, in this case (of high prices asked for imported South Korean Tesla CCS1 adapters).

Seems to me that in Case #1, supply and demand, and the resulting market, will ultimately determine the selling price. Sellers of no-longer-available items (e.g., CHAdeMO adapter) can ask high prices (until a satisfactory replacement product comes along or the seller just prices himself out of the market).

And in Case #2, I cannot help but put the blame squarely on potential buyers (who, out of laziness perhaps, probably don't do their homework).

(Neither of these excuses should apply in the sale of medicines or in similar morally-questionable circumstances. Scalpers of penicillin, Aids drugs, bottled water in disaster areas, and so forth should be shot outright.)

Now I don't happen to like it that an eBay seller is referencing one of my TMC posts to help sell his over-priced CCS1 adapter. And I briefly considered doing something about it. But since Tesla has, for some inexplicable reason, not yet released the CCS1 adapter in North America, I have to say that this seller is within his rights to get higher than normal prices. Also, by selling it at auction, the seller lets the customers actually dictate the final price. (It is too bad, however, that people who could really use a CCS1 adapter--maybe someone in an outlying area--are probably being denied one.)

Way back in the day (late 1990s), I would message fellow potential-buyers of eBay items I was interested in (you could do that, then) and try to educate them about the pitfalls of (stupidly) bidding up an item unnecessarily in the days leading up to the auction end. I always recommended (a) waiting to the very end of an auction to enter just one bid and (b) setting that bid at the maximum one was willing to pay (plus maybe a teensy bit more). Then sit back and, with a guilt-free conscience, let the competition unfold fairly.

Well, eBay soon put a stop to that and now you are not allowed to communicate by eBay messaging with other eBay members except in ways that make money for eBay. (Want to hate someone, hate the upper echelons at eBay--the most selfish, greedy, and at the same time foolishly-stupid organization this side of the Mafia.)

Anyway, I agree. But there's plenty of blame to go around: to scalpers, to eBay, to Tesla, and to us-the buyers.

Last edited:
I am more surprised that nobody except for EVHub has made a pass-through third-party adapter.
Actually, the market for this is not really that big. Those of us here probably represent a biased view but as a business, there may not be enough interest to make a profit. The Setec unit had some problems because it needed software updates when Tesla did something that disabled it. I really don't want to spend several hundred on a unit that I need to connect to a computer to make it work, maybe. How often would I use this? And just6 when I need it, it need a software update that Setec hasn't made available.

One trip I planned where there are no CCS, chademo, or Tesla DC fast chargers has recently improved and now I can make that trip between two Tesla SC with the help of McDonald's L2 free public chargers while I do my tourist thing. Soon there will be hotels in the area that plan to add them too. CCS was planned by convenience stores in the area but latest is they have the project on hold waiting on BBB government subsidies. The equipment is just sitting.

One of the other problems that is related to these gaps in DC fast chargers is where there is only one or two plugs and they are blocked by ICE a-holes who can't read the EV charging only signs. Here a 20ft Tesla extension cord might be a good solution. There is one company I found making them but they are also very expensive, especially for the one that works for a V3 Supercharger. $600. The L2 ones are about $350.

I am more surprised that nobody except for EVHub has made a pass-through third-party adapter.
Well until relatively recently (v11 software basically), US cars didn't support CCS charging even if they did have the hardware. And now that they do support it, the compatibility situation is a mess since there's little rhyme or reason as to which cars support CCS. And the actual timeframe they'd have to sell an adapter before Tesla comes out with their own is pretty small. So just not a whole ton of profit potential there with a decent risk of being stuck with inventory you can't sell after Tesla releases their adapter officially

...there's little rhyme or reason as to which cars support CCS...

The actual pattern of whether a North American car has CCS capability probably follows something like this:

5 - CCS1 Compatibility - 1-5-22.jpg
  • Pre-2020 -- no CCS capability
  • 2020 -- starting at some point new cars mostly came with CCS capability
  • 2021 -- from around July to October new cars lost the capability (due to the chip shortage?)
  • 2022 -- new cars should have the capability again
Our survey (from way earlier in this Thread) focused on Models 3 and Y, but I also heard from a few Models S and X drivers; their data seemed to suggest that Models S and X experienced perhaps similar patterns.

Just as an FYI: I just got a call that they can't deliver my new Model Y because it came from the factory without a charge port ECU, and they don't have an ETA on when the ECUs will arrive at the service center and can be installed. (They said a large batch of vehicles shipped without them because of a supplier issue.)

So the chip shortage, or logistics issues, are still a problem...

Just as an FYI: I just got a call that they can't deliver my new Model Y because it came from the factory without a charge port ECU, and they don't have an ETA on when the ECUs will arrive at the service center and can be installed. (They said a large batch of vehicles shipped without them because of a supplier issue.)

So the chip shortage, or logistics issues, are still a problem...
That does not bode well for getting a surplus of ECUs to allow upgrading older cars for CCS compatibility.

Which is probably part of the reason that Tesla hasn't released the CCS adapter in North America yet.
I don’t see the point of not releasing at least the number of adapters equal to the number of enabled vehicles.
When they have the parts to enable more cars, people that get that mod. should get an adapter with it.
Not everyone is going to sign up for the CCS mod., has a price for update ever even been mentioned?

I don’t see the point of not releasing at least the number of adapters equal to the number of enabled vehicles.
When they have the parts to enable more cars, people that get that mod. should get an adapter with it.
Not everyone is going to sign up for the CCS mod., has a price for update ever even been mentioned?
Because as soon as they release it, even more people would be clamoring for it. Tesla will also have to waste time explaining that the CCS mod will have to come later. Right now the amount of people that are interested in NA is relatively little.

Because as soon as they release it, even more people would be clamoring for it. Tesla will also have to waste time explaining that the CCS mod will have to come later. Right now the amount of people that are interested in NA is relatively little.
Tesla knows which cars can use the adapter and which don't. In their own store they tell if you have a car which can use the adapter, and make the adapter unavailable if it won't work, or even let you order "Adapter plus charge upgrade (backordered)" on a waitlist. They could explain "Don't try to get the adapter on its own because we won't be selling the upgrade without the adapter at first, so you will be wasting your money." Your order screen woudl show both options, one grayed out if your car can't use it. It would figure out what to do if you had more than one car.

So they could sell it. Of course, I need the upgrade so it would not help me.

Tesla knows which cars can use the adapter and which don't. In their own store they tell if you have a car which can use the adapter, and make the adapter unavailable if it won't work, or even let you order "Adapter plus charge upgrade (backordered)" on a waitlist. They could explain "Don't try to get the adapter on its own because we won't be selling the upgrade without the adapter at first, so you will be wasting your money." Your order screen woudl show both options, one grayed out if your car can't use it. It would figure out what to do if you had more than one car.

So they could sell it. Of course, I need the upgrade so it would not help me.
That's only the technical side. I'm talking about people that nag the SC and reps asking about when it will come out. There are people here that claim they are already doing that. I imagine that amount will only increase if Tesla releases it.

Kind of hard to explain it, but with the adapter not officially out in NA, things don't really feel "real" yet (even with some people buying in Korea and using it here). When it gets released officially and many people are using it, things probably will feel different.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
That's only the technical side. I'm talking about people that nag the SC and reps asking about when it will come out. There are people here that claim they are already doing that. I imagine that amount will only increase if Tesla releases it.
Where do we get the phone number to nag? Not trying to be funny here, when I have a question for the local SC I have to make a service request on the app. If people are nagging over the app I’m sure they will ignore ot.

Where do we get the phone number to nag? Not trying to be funny here, when I have a question for the local SC I have to make a service request on the app. If people are nagging over the app I’m sure they will ignore ot.

Yes! The whole Tesla customer service system is a gigantic…(had to self-censor myself, there)...step backward in retail history (In my humble opinion). The opposite of “the customer is our most valuable resource” concept.

But my complaints about Tesla's poor people-skills understandably fall on deaf ears since Tesla is doing so well overall. Oh, well; times change, along with what's important to customers, apparently.

If this pattern--the cooler the product, the more you can treat customers like $%^!--continues, God-forbid someone eventually markets a practical flying car, jet-pack, or quantum transporter. They'll be able to sell our children into slavery and we'll still flock to buy their products. Should we be worried about Aptera?

George Jetson in Flying Car

Say, where are Judy and Elroy?​

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: gglockner
I believe people just send a message on the app and they typically get a response saying the adapter is not on offer yet in NA.

Kind of hard to explain it, but with the adapter not officially out in NA, things don't really feel "real" yet (even with some people buying in Korea and using it here). When it gets released officially and many people are using it, things probably will feel different.
I suspect they will close whatever path is letting Tesla owners with cars in North America (they know if you car is in Korea) order these. If I didn't have the old controller board I would order one. Hell, it would be tempting to order one to sell on eBay for $1700 even though people say they hate scalpers.

They presumably have their reason for not offering it though. Perhaps still some kinks to work out, or just not enough supply, but I doubt it's because they don't work unless you have the new chip. They made this thing to sell in North America, ROK is just a side market compared to that.

Yes! The whole Tesla customer service system is a gigantic…step backward in retail history (In my humble opinion). The opposite of “the customer is our most valuable resource” concept.

But my complaints understandably fall on deaf ears since Tesla is doing so well overall. Oh, well.
When you double the number of cars sold, and, in the current employment environment, positions go unfilled. Meteoric growth stretches the resources---Customer service is the one thing that robots cannot do. I am not excusing it. Just that it is the reality. I would love the halcyon days of great customer service when I ordered my first Tesla, end of 2014.

Reactions: henderrj