Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got an error message when trying a 200kw CCS station by Francis Energy:

EZ GO McAlester | PlugShare
When I moved to a 60kW station it worked.

Picture or the model that failed and error message attached. View attachment 796744
The only one of the high power units that works is on the far left end (I used it on my way back from the Cyber Rodeo 😆). The others give me a tower error.

Tesla is obviously not going to say the quiet part out loud, but the point of a walled garden is to keep people from leaving.
It's usually a good idea to state when something is your opinion rather than offer it as a fact. Frankly, If given a choice, I'd prefer to just use Tesla Superchargers as opposed to usually paying more to charge at a Non Tesla Charger. The only logical reason I think people want the CCS adapter is because they have travel plans where Tesla has not yet set up any Superchargers at all for their travel route.

I plan to buy one when Tesla makes them available here but won't spent ridiculous scalper charges. I'll just drive out of my way to bridge the gap. The ironic thing is, the two routes I want to travel where there are no Tesla Superchargers there are no CCS or Chademo either. I have the Tesla Chademo adapter and used it with EVgo and it works but is very slow, still faster than 120v mobile EVSE.

For those who need the CCS now, I'm glad you are able to get one with the convoluted process and only a small upcharge. I look forward to hearing your experience with it.

Reactions: Rocky_H and kayak1
That CHAdeMO adapter is a tough sell. $500 for a (slow) adapter that uses technology that is already being phased out.
Reviewing my notes from the last time I used my Chademo on an EVgo station, it runs like so:

Arrived with 10% SOC on my 2020 Model S LR+ ( no preconditioning possible because Tesla doesn't precondition to non Tesla SC)
35KW ramp to 48KW in 3 minutes.
Hold at 45KW for 15 minutes and ramp down to 15KW to 30 minutes when EVgo timed off.

Total miles added was 68 miles in 30 minutes.

Don't laugh! It got me to the nearest Supercharger. The only good thing was the EVgo was free because I used my active Nissan No charge to charge card I got when I bought my Nissan Leaf.

Reviewing my notes from the last time I used my Chademo on an EVgo station, it runs like so:

Arrived with 10% SOC on my 2020 Model S LR+ ( no preconditioning possible because Tesla doesn't precondition to non Tesla SC)
35KW ramp to 48KW in 3 minutes.
Hold at 45KW for 15 minutes and ramp down to 15KW to 30 minutes when EVgo timed off.

Total miles added was 68 miles in 30 minutes.

Don't laugh! It got me to the nearest Supercharger. The only good thing was the EVgo was free because I used my active Nissan No charge to charge card I got when I bought my Nissan Leaf.

Even if the Supper Charger isn't close if you add it to the navigation I have seen it attempt to precondition the battery.

Tesla is obviously not going to say the quiet part out loud, but the point of a walled garden is to keep people from leaving.

It is a lot easier for a Tesla driver who often fast charge elsewhere other than the Supercharger to switch to a non-Tesla EV than for a Tesla driver who only fast charge at the Supercharger to do so.
So you have no source, but there are many sources of Tesla saying acting in the opposite way, declaring that the charging network is not there to make money, selling adapters, providing a J1772 adapter with every car.

But again, you must offer a "why" on Tesla not wanting people to charge at other stations. You claim they want a walled garden, but for what purpose? What goal have they ever had but to sell a lot of Teslas? How is a walled garden where Tesla drivers have trouble charging at other stations good for Tesla? Remember, they are not trying to sell electricity as a business. Prior to the peak-TOU charges they brought it at some superchargers, TSCs have been among the lowest cost fast chargers out there, as well as the most plentiful and reliable. When people have asked me "Should I get a Tesla or an <other brand>?" I ask, "Do you think you will want to do road trips?" Until 2 years ago, that sealed any deal. More recently it has become practical to road trip in other cars, but Teslas remain the best, even without access to the other stations, and once Teslas can use all the networks they become an overwhelming leader if you care about road trips.

In addition, the plan I suggested was Tesla offer free cables to any charger more than 10 miles from a supercharger. Or make it 20 miles if you prefer, but that means there would be no competition for some mythical business of selling charging for which they want some hypothetical walled garden.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and Genie
Even if the Supper Charger isn't close if you add it to the navigation I have seen it attempt to precondition the battery.
True up to about 30 minutes from the SC. I never really tested it but just casual observation seems the Tesla energy efficiency algorithm doesn't waste energy preconditioning if you are too far away. Especially true when you are asked to drive slower to make it.

I've been testing routes from Pecos TX SC to Roswell and then to Albuquerque SC. Suggesting top speed of 50mph Roswell has a L2 at a McDonalds that is usually unavailable. There is supposed to be new CCS/Chademo installed in Carlsbad, Artesia, and Roswell which has been delayed, rumor is waiting on government subsidies. If Tesla added one in Carlsbad and one in Roswell, problem solved.

These two are heavy tourist locations.

Reactions: Hydrocarbon302
The walled garden is good for business. Tesla doesn't want Tesla drivers to leave the walled garden.
Big bunch of BS backed up by zero concrete evidence. If they wanted to keep people in a walled garden, they'd have made the TPC protocol completely incompatible with J1772 and J3068 to make pass-through adapters impossible, their cars would lack pass-through CCS support, and would be entirely unable to interface with anything other than Tesla connectors and DC fast chargers except via third party adapters that actively translate the protocol and only work because a third party has reverse engineered the Tesla signals and translates them to the standard signals that the non-proprietary connectors expect.
It is a lot easier for a Tesla driver who often fast charge elsewhere other than the Supercharger to switch to a non-Tesla EV than for a Tesla driver who only fast charge at the Supercharger to do so.
No, it's not. Get the EVHub adapter or get the CCS adapter from Korea. It takes a few steps but it's a hell of a lot easier than getting another car. :rolleyes:

So you have no source, but there are many sources of Tesla saying acting in the opposite way, declaring that the charging network is not there to make money, selling adapters, providing a J1772 adapter with every car.

But again, you must offer a "why" on Tesla not wanting people to charge at other stations. You claim they want a walled garden, but for what purpose? What goal have they ever had but to sell a lot of Teslas? How is a walled garden where Tesla drivers have trouble charging at other stations good for Tesla? Remember, they are not trying to sell electricity as a business. Prior to the peak-TOU charges they brought it at some superchargers, TSCs have been among the lowest cost fast chargers out there, as well as the most plentiful and reliable. When people have asked me "Should I get a Tesla or an <other brand>?" I ask, "Do you think you will want to do road trips?" Until 2 years ago, that sealed any deal. More recently it has become practical to road trip in other cars, but Teslas remain the best, even without access to the other stations, and once Teslas can use all the networks they become an overwhelming leader if you care about road trips.

In addition, the plan I suggested was Tesla offer free cables to any charger more than 10 miles from a supercharger. Or make it 20 miles if you prefer, but that means there would be no competition for some mythical business of selling charging for which they want some hypothetical walled garden.
Clearly, you didn't read the comment that you quoted because the answer is right there.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
Big bunch of BS backed up by zero concrete evidence. If they wanted to keep people in a walled garden, they'd have made the TPC protocol completely incompatible with J1772 and J3068 to make pass-through adapters impossible, their cars would lack pass-through CCS support, and would be entirely unable to interface with anything other than Tesla connectors and DC fast chargers except via third party adapters that actively translate the protocol and only work because a third party has reverse engineered the Tesla signals and translates them to the standard signals that the non-proprietary connectors expect.

No, it's not. Get the EVHub adapter or get the CCS adapter from Korea. It takes a few steps but it's a hell of a lot easier than getting another car. :rolleyes:
There is your mistake.

What Tesla drivers want ≠ what Tesla wants

Tesla doesn't want Tesla drivers to fast charge anywhere else other than the Supercharger.

The walled garden is good for business. Tesla doesn't want Tesla drivers to leave the walled garden.

You may question why Tesla even bothers to release the CHAdeMO and CCS adapter.

There are inevitably going to be some people who are the exceptions: need to fast charge at places where there simply aren't Superchargers nearby.

If they can't, they simply wouldn't buy Tesla's vehicles.

For everyone else though, Tesla doesn't want him/her to fast charger anywhere other than the Supercharger.

The CHAdeMO adapter is limited to 50 kW and even Tesla sold it, it was out of stock 99% of the time.

Then there is the CCS adapter that Tesla refuses to sell here.
What a devious plan 👿. Now the mobile connector is out of stock and they've stopped including them. Why didn't I see it before they don't want you to charge anywhere but supercharges.

The CHAdeMO adapter is limited to 50 kW and even Tesla sold it, it was out of stock 99% of the time.
You know when that adapter was developed, CHAdeMO was limited to slightly more than 50kW. Kinda hard to develop an adapter for something that doesn't exist.
Then there is the CCS adapter that Tesla refuses to sell here.
This from a company that is having trouble keeping mobile connectors in stock and that shipped cars without USB ports.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and kayak1
You know when that adapter was developed, CHAdeMO was limited to slightly more than 50kW. Kinda hard to develop an adapter for something that doesn't exist.
...and no effort to improve it since then

This from a company that is having trouble keeping mobile connectors in stock
Just say what it is: it's a price hike.

Something that was previously included is suddenly not included.

...coming straight from the Apple's suckbook

Using DELIVERED Korea along with ordering with my Tesla account on the Tesla Korea shop worked for me. It did require some experimentation and creative use of Google Translate to get the right parts of the address in the right boxes. Note the caveat that it only works for 3 and Y - not for S and X.
A possible reason why it has not been released in North America (just thinking) is that maybe Tesla wants to try it in a limited market to make sure the greater weight of the CCS cable and plug do not damage the car's power socket.

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Just say what it is: it's a price hike.
Funny how you didn't even mention the USB port issue. Which Tesla then had to remedy by sending all of those USB-less vehicles to a service center and install them after they had been manufactured. So nope, I guess it couldn't possibly be a parts shortage.
Something that was previously included is suddenly not included.

...coming straight from the Apple's suckbook
Let's see how closely Tesla follows the "suckbook". If we get a standardized connector that supports 3 phase, plus has the DC pins shared with 2 of the AC pins and is just as elegant as the TPC, and resolves all of the issues with both J1772/CCS1 and TPC, and Tesla stubbornly sticks to TPC, then and only then will I agree that Tesla sucks just as much as Apple. Lightning did have a place though...up until the point USB-C was developed.

Reactions: kayak1
Funny how you didn't even mention the USB port issue. Which Tesla then had to remedy by sending all of those USB-less vehicles to a service center and install them after they had been manufactured. So nope, I guess it couldn't possibly be a parts shortage.
The adapter consists of copper and plastic.

As far as I am aware, there is no critical shortage of copper and plastic at the moment.

Clearly, you didn't read the comment that you quoted because the answer is right there.

I simply don't think this would be a significant issue. Quite the reverse, actually. Tesla superchargers are very, very good. Much better than the DC Fast stations. I had heard the stories from drivers of other cars about the constant issues at those stations. After I got my adapter I lived them. If anything, getting to see that made me less likely to switch to that system from Tesla, no more likely. What makes you think it would do the reverse?

But even if this were a factor, it dwarfs the real value that Tesla has said. It wants their car to be clearly the best car to buy. Not a difficult motive to understand, nor one I would doubt is real. And Tesla is making adapters so they obviously don't want to confine us to their chargers. They are not making it as easy as they could, but they are hardly hiding it. Unless you think the delay in releasing the adapter is some sort of secret conspiracy to make us stick to superchargers while pretending we can go elsewhere? If so, why are they selling the adapters for $250 in ROK? Why did they drop the price of the CdM adapter to $400 before deciding to move to CCS?

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H