Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably but so easy and convenient the way I went. Total cost shipped to my door was $323 US. Just hope it shows up in a week or 2
I was going to go the Harumio route, but I really don't want to give out my Tesla account credentials (even if I do change the password, which then breaks the Tesla app—and other apps like Tessie). I saw another member here mention Delivered, and while it might be slightly more complicated, I don't have to mess with sending credentials via email and risk having them misused/intercepted. Once someone gets your Tesla credentials, they can change the email and password on your account and lock you out. I'll take the hassle of a proxy service vs. that risk. Ask me again in 2-4 weeks when/if I actually get the adapter. ;)

So we finally know that the South Korean CCS1 Adapter appears to (just) fit "Classic" Models S and X charge ports. Good. But I am left still wondering why the South Korean adapter was stated to be only for Models 3 and Y there.* Any ideas?

Here's the pertinent language on the South Korean site Tesla:
  • "※주의: 현재 본 제품은 Model 3 및 Model Y 에만 적용 가능합니다." (original)
  • "※Caution: Currently, this product is only applicable to Model 3 and Model Y." (Google translation)
It should have nothing to do with CCS capability, since that feature does not distinguish Models S & X from Models 3 & Y. Since ~2020 some Models S & X and some Models 3 & Y are CCS-enabled and some aren't. Prospective customers on the Korean Tesla site are specifically asked to "Make sure this accessory is compatible with the vehicle in your Tesla account" (Google translation).* This suggests that some Korean Models 3 & Y will also not be able to use the CCS1 adapter (until there is a hardware retrofit, presumably).

Anyway, I'd still like confirmation that the CCS1 adapter will actually charge a CCS-enabled "Classic" Model S or X at North American CCS1 charging stations.
_____
* South Korea Tesla Shop Website - CCS1 Adapter

Last edited:
I am still wondering why the South Korean adapter was stated to be only for Models 3 and Y on the SK Tesla website. Any ideas? Maybe none of the Models S or X were CCS enabled? But that doesn't make any sense. Where are South Korean Tesla cars made? Fremont? China?

The pertinent language on the South Korean site Tesla:

• "※Caution: Currently, this product is only applicable to Model 3 and Model Y." (Google translation)
I'm pretty sure that no S or X delivered to South Korea has the necessary CCS hardware. (I think the CCS hardware was included starting with the recent refresh, which hasn't been sold outside of North America yet.)

Well... Chase card wouldn't work, but good old American Express didn't care that I bought something in South Korean won! Seriously helps having a Korean friend be able to walk through each field and help me fill out the order... got a nice confirmation page, hit on the Amex saying I had a foreign transaction, and then a Tesla shop email a few minutes later saying order is confirmed... I'll update you guys on if it shows up!

Edit: $242.45 if it worked...

Reactions: KJD
I'm pretty sure that no S or X delivered to South Korea has the necessary CCS hardware. (I think the CCS hardware was included starting with the recent refresh, which hasn't been sold outside of North America yet.)

I can't speak directly for cars delivered to South Korea. However, we know that CCS capability in California-manufactured Models 3 and Y started around early 2020, depending on the model. There was a lapse in September/October, 2021 due to the chip shortage. But cars manufactured in Fremont from late 2021 onward should once again be CCS-enabled.

See impromptu survey we took way back in this long thread: CCS Status Survey. The published focus was on Models 3 & Y, but I heard from a few owners of "Classic" Models S & X folks that found that they have CCS capability, also. For example, my "Classic" 2021 Model X, actually manufactured in December 2020, has CCS capability.

So I suppose that it is possible that some "Classic" Models S & X exported to South Korea were CCS-enabled, also. (Not sure. Have to ask South Korean owners of the two more expensive 2020-21 models. But it is possible, and you may be right, that no Models S & X exported to Korea had the CCS feature. That would be ironic since it is the one country that received the early CCS1 adapter.)

Last edited:
So we finally know that the South Korean CCS1 Adapter appears to (just) fit "Classic" Models S and X charge ports. Good. But I am left still wondering why the South Korean adapter was stated to be only for Models 3 and Y there.* Any ideas?

Here's the pertinent language on the South Korean site Tesla:
It should have nothing to do with CCS capability, since that feature does not distinguish Models S & X from Models 3 & Y. Since ~2020 some Models S & X and some Models 3 & Y are CCS-enabled and some aren't. Prospective customers on the Korean Tesla site are specifically asked to "Make sure this accessory is compatible with the vehicle in your Tesla account" (Google translation).* This suggests that some Korean Models 3 & Y will also not be able to use the CCS1 adapter (until there is a hardware retrofit, presumably).

Anyway, I'd still like confirmation that the CCS1 adapter will actually charge a CCS-enabled "Classic" Model S or X at North American CCS1 charging stations.
_____
* South Korea Tesla Shop Website - CCS1 Adapter
Korean Model 3s/Ys had a different part number charge ECU than US models. Presumably this has whatever is needed for CCS communications. Model S/X never had this. Legacy s/x likely never will, officially anyway.

Korean Model 3s/Ys had a different part number charge ECU than US models. Presumably this has whatever is needed for CCS communications. Model S/X never had this. Legacy s/x likely never will, officially anyway.

For the CCS/Type 2 adapter in Europe, Legacy S/X needed a part installed in addition to the adapter.
There's no reason to believe that they wouldn't do the same for CCS/Type 1 for when it's offered in the USA. There were more Type 1 S and X than Type 2. But right now there are chip shortages, which is why I think they haven't expanded the offer to the USA.

For the CCS/Type 2 adapter in Europe, Legacy S/X needed a part installed in addition to the adapter.
There's no reason to believe that they wouldn't do the same for CCS/Type 1 for when it's offered in the USA. There were more Type 1 S and X than Type 2. But right now there are chip shortages, which is why I think they haven't expanded the offer to the USA.
Well the reason to assume they won’t do so is that they’re not really doing any further development of those cars. I wouldn’t hold my breath.

How do you enter the Delivered Korea address on Tesla? It doesn't like the B102 address, though it will accept 102B. See screen shot (suite removed for confidentiality).
address.png

Last edited:
I tried placing orders for this adapter with Tesla Korea two times back in February and they were cancelled by Tesla both times. The parcel forwarder I was working with (Korea Buy and Ship) contacted me the other day and said they figured out a way to order the adapter (by using my Tesla ID and password and paying for the order with whatever Korean payment method they used). They placed the order for me yesterday - keeping my fingers crossed that it works this time. Planning a trip to the Eastern High Sierras for Memorial Day weekend and it sure would be nice to poach the EA CCS1 chargers in Bishop and Bridgeport and avoid what I anticipate will be very crowded Superchargers that weekend.

Reactions: 1100MCM
I tried placing orders for this adapter with Tesla Korea two times back in February and they were cancelled by Tesla both times. The parcel forwarder I was working with (Korea Buy and Ship) contacted me the other day and said they figured out a way to order the adapter (by using my Tesla ID and password and paying for the order with whatever Korean payment method they used). They placed the order for me yesterday - keeping my fingers crossed that it works this time. Planning a trip to the Eastern High Sierras for Memorial Day weekend and it sure would be nice to poach the EA CCS1 chargers in Bishop and Bridgeport and avoid what I anticipate will be very crowded Superchargers that weekend.
Interesting. Do you think the few and properly-working EA chargers will be less crowded than the Supercharger site? Or is this just a backup?

thats what i did, it doesnt appear to have shipped yet, it also hasnt been canceled yet either though

There is a brand-new charging station in Whitefish near Glacier National Park.
If you're thinking the Town Pump station, Plugshare says it has CCS and CHAdeMO, which proves my point for the need for a CCS adapter.

Is there something else north of Missoula, like an official Supercharger or Tesla-compatible DC chargers like EVgo? I'm not finding anything on Tesla or Plugshare.