Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cars,drivers that consistently (and foolishly) want to challenge the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2 weeks of ownership and I've already had 3 separate AMG Mercedes try and race me. I'm not big on MBZ so Im sketchy on some details, however one was the new CLA AMG (4 cyl? Really Mercedes?), a S series (forget what kind , had the Biturbo V8 badges tho), and one of the newer AMG MLS 63 SUVs... once again twin turbo V8, however this one sounded the best by far. In all 3 cases I had a 3 year old in the car so no go. Heh, I don't even own a P85/90D... it's just a regular old 85D!

So.many.BMWs.
My favorite part is when we get to the next light after I teach them a lesson about all electric power, roll down the window so they can see they got beat by a girl. Not something male BMW drivers can take well!

So.many.BMWs.
My favorite part is when we get to the next light after I teach them a lesson about all electric power, roll down the window so they can see they got beat by a girl. Not something male BMW drivers can take well!

There must be something about BMWs that brings out the idiots. When I used to own one, I would regularly (as in 2-3 times per week) get challenged at stop lights or on the highway by everything from Mustangs to modded Hondas to other BMWs... holy crap the guys with the M3s and M5s... you'd think the only way they could justify ownership of that vehicle was by keeping score of the number of wins from a stoplight.

I usually get 3-5 challenges a week.

Just today there was a Volvo S60 and an F150, just on my drive TO work. The S60 intentionally zoomed past me and pulled in front of me coming up to a red light. I sighed as I spent the next 5 or so seconds after the light turned green at half throttle, stuck behind him while he gunned it to get up to the speed limit. I could actually see his exhaust darkening because he was pushing it so hard. (I could have changed lanes and passed him, but didn't want to risk him doing something excessively stupid and changing lanes into me). No knock on an S60, but it's no challenger to a P85.

Also have had Nissan Maximas/Altimas, Honda Civics, a Lexus LS460 (I think), Thunderbirds, a few Dodge Chargers/Challengers, a souped up Nissan 370Z and more.

Over the 2 1/2 years I've had my Model S I've noticed some
clear pattens with cars and drivers who consistently try to challenge the Model S at stop lights or other situations where macho men have a problem keep their testosterone in check. Here's my top three list in rank order:

1. BMW's of nealy any year or model driven by a male of any age
2. Adolescent males driving severely lowered Hondas with wing spoilers and "fart" mufflers
3. Any minivan driven by a middle-age male

Nearly all end up with a very bad spanking:)

Let's have some fun with this:)

I get #2 all the time (though also with Mustangs and Camaros), but I also get some upscale cars. In the Tesla Moments thread I mentioned a Lamborghini Aventador that exhibited this behavior recently. Not long ago a AM DB Convertible did the same. Thankfully, I know better than some of these crazy people.

I seem to be involved with side by side acceleration comparisons (note not a speed contest) every time I drive our P85D. BMW, Porsche, Mopar, Mustangs, etc...

To the disappointment of other P85D owners I do not compare acceleration rates - I am not risking a ticket for a carbon copy comparison. I would race a P90D just to see how close it is.

While I have spanked nearly everyone that has challenged me (when safe to do so ;-) ), I was recently spanked in our neck of the woods.

A Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabriolet (3 second 0-60 & ~$195k MSRP) pulled up to next to me at light where the two lanes quickly converge to one (well less than 1/4 mile). My P85 classic could not do it and knew it before we pulled off.

The best part was the other driver pulled over afterward and we chatted a bit about how f'g fast both cars were.

The consistently foolish ones are the BMWs - which I can say since I owned one.

Last edited:
Every year my car club rents out a runway just north of Newburgh NY to drag our cars for bragging rights. I used to run one of the slower entries with a Dinan modded BMW Z8 putting out about 460 hp. What would show up to race were a lot of Lamborghini, Ferraris, Porsch Turbos and the odd Pagoni or Buggatti. I showed up with the p85d this last October and took about 20 runs. I won about half. I still lost out to modded GTRs Porsche turbo s and some Aventadors. I also had the disadvantage of Everyone wanting a ride so I had about 800 lbs of driver plus passengers on any given run. Will try to post a video

Last edited:
I had a tricked out Corvette Z06 up my ass yesterday at a red light, snarling his engine at me, and then frantically tried to get around me the second it turned green which I let him do. He was clearly egging me on. Traffic was too dense to play around in so I didn't take any chances. We ended up front of the line at the next traffic light, however, that was my right turn so didn't get an opportunity to oblige him. Kinda glad I didn't because I know he would've smoked me anyways. If I had a P85D it would have been fun to go neck and neck.

From bancroftc "I had a tricked out Corvette Z06 up my ass yesterday at a red light"...
I find this very similar to our leisure activity - boats.

You know those cigarette-style boats? One of the brands is Cigarette. Others include Donzi, Scarab, Formula, blah blah blah. Those of us who ply the big water in 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, full galley boats...we call those Go Fast Be Loud boats. (sometimes when they pull out of the marina at 5am with 1500HP snorting, banging and choking on fuel, for their poker run, we call them f'!^& GFBL's). That's all they can do - they can go fast and they can be loud. They're not comfortable. They require an enormous amount of maintenance. Some of the bigger 50'ers with triple blown race motors will suck down 4 gallons per mile at 90MPH. And why???? I truly don't get it. Plus - they COST! A fairly standard 40'er with twin engines capable of 70mph on the water will push $400,000.

But to each their own.
Corvette folks - no different. To each their own.

I was very good when a Challenger Hellcat with a very aggressive driver (riding my bumper when he was behind me, revving engine at stoplight) wanted to see what the P85D could do. I was much weaker with Maserati Quattroporte GTS this past weekend.