Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car insurance question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm posting this here as others may be in a similar situation to me...

Currently have a M3 SR+ which I will be selling in order to purchase MYLR. There will be a few weeks gap between selling the 3 and collecting to Y (planning to do a quick sale through Motorway/WBAC once I have a collection date confirmed). I have several years NCB which I am keen to keep, and am 7 months into my current insurance cover.

What is the best way to retain the NCB and still earn this current years NCB? Can I suspend my current insurance for a few weeks (upon selling the 3) and then resume it upon collecting the Y, giving the insurer the Y details and still earn the NCB for this year?

Interested to hear your thoughts, and anyone in a similar situation.

I just went through this now with my broker and underwriter. We took the 3 off and suspended the policy and when the Y is added on, it will just continue as a continuous year as far as NCB is concerned. They couldn't quote for the Y yet but hope to in the next few days.

I had this last week - I’m with esure and they said to contact them when I hand my car in, and they’ll suspend the cover but keep takign the DD. Then when I pick up the new car they’ll make the necessary adjustments to the policy price, reactivate it, and if there is any refund due for the period it wasn’t in use, they’ll sort that out

I'm posting this here as others may be in a similar situation to me...

Currently have a M3 SR+ which I will be selling in order to purchase MYLR. There will be a few weeks gap between selling the 3 and collecting to Y (planning to do a quick sale through Motorway/WBAC once I have a collection date confirmed). I have several years NCB which I am keen to keep, and am 7 months into my current insurance cover.

What is the best way to retain the NCB and still earn this current years NCB? Can I suspend my current insurance for a few weeks (upon selling the 3) and then resume it upon collecting the Y, giving the insurer the Y details and still earn the NCB for this year?

Interested to hear your thoughts, and anyone in a similar situation.
To your first concern, retaining your no claims bonus up to the beginning of your current insurance year, you can be uninsured for up to 2 years.
For the second part, which is more important to you, I am unsure. You could of course cancel and start a fresh year; 7 months lost in a lifetime of driving.....
.....only you can decide.

I was due to be like that for just under 2 weeks when I sold the old car into the trade before the new one was due to arrive. Then the delivery of the new one got delayed further by a few more weeks but I decided to just let the switch over happen on the due date (the delivery was postponed with just 24 hours notice, cheers Tesla), and it run with the new car even though I'd not taken delivery. Probably not strictly correct but seemed to make life easier and insurance costs me about £6 a week. I'm not sure what would have happened on the insurance database etc but it can't be that uncommon for insurance policies to overlap when cars change hands. I guess the advice in talking to your insurer is the best advice.

Reactions: Wattsisname