Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Aug 23 Insurance Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was with Peugeot insurance (recently changed to Stellantis) last year £381.

My Mrs had a small car park prang and with the insurance hikes I was actually fearing the worst. Renewal £514.

I’m just going to take that I’m too busy to change and can’t be arsed with the inevitable spam tht comes along with a gocompare search.

Quite relieved actually I was expecting the absolute worst.

Update

I re-did my Meerkats search and it came back with Halifax at around £585. I clicked through and declined the legal expenses insurance, the RAC cover and the guaranteed hire car. It then took me to a screen which asked for my registration (which the Meerkats already had of course). Then something started spinning and the premium jumped by £230! If I hadn't been paying proper attention I might have gone on to pay that., Same happened with the associated brands that were next up - Bank of Scotland, Lloyds Bank and Budget.

So something fishy was going on. Beware!

Update

I re-did my Meerkats search and it came back with Halifax at around £585. I clicked through and declined the legal expenses insurance, the RAC cover and the guaranteed hire car. It then took me to a screen which asked for my registration (which the Meerkats already had of course). Then something started spinning and the premium jumped by £230! If I hadn't been paying proper attention I might have gone on to pay that., Same happened with the associated brands that were next up - Bank of Scotland, Lloyds Bank and Budget.

So something fishy was going on. Beware!

Further investigation shows that the banks are franchising their brands to BSIL Limited who trade as Budget. That still doesn't explain why the premiums differed between brands or jumped from what the Meerkats had said.

Churchill, 2022 M3P, went from £1650 last year to a renewal quote of £2630 this year, London E11 postcode.

Same 3 points on my license, 1 windscreen claim, and I notified them that someone scratched my bumper and I paid for it to be repaired.

Lesson here is clearly don't report damage you're likely to end up repairing yourself. What the actual hell is going on!

Just got my first renewal, paid £680 last year for MY LR, Saga want £1125 this year. Got it down to £828 using comparison sites, Churchill Essentials, with the annual mileage increased to 10k (8k last year). So I'm happy with that. 60 year old plus wife on policy, village in Somerset, 9yr NCD, recent SP50.

Just had a conversation with Churchill regarding my upcoming renewal on 19/12. Current insurance was £659.35 - 2022 Model Y LR, 14 Years protected NCB, 6k miles per year, SDP only, 60 years old sole driver, garaged in Rugby. That was 100% increase at last renewal so I am trying to keep increases down this year. I have a quote "today only" from Saga for £810.42 which I suspect may be cheaper than Churchills renewal, however unbelievably Churchill can not tell me my renewal price until this Friday 24/11! All other quotes from comparison sites and direct insurance company sites are coming back as £1100+. My main point here is how strange it is (or perhaps not!!) that I can get new quotes up to 30 days ahead from all insurance companies, including Churchill (£892.49), yet they, holders of my current insurance record, cannot quote my renewal price until after this 'one day special' from Saga has expired?! It's quite true that insurance pricing is something of a gamble and totally without logic.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
Just had a conversation with Churchill regarding my upcoming renewal on 19/12. Current insurance was £659.35 - 2022 Model Y LR, 14 Years protected NCB, 6k miles per year, SDP only, 60 years old sole driver, garaged in Rugby. That was 100% increase at last renewal so I am trying to keep increases down this year. I have a quote "today only" from Saga for £810.42 which I suspect may be cheaper than Churchills renewal, however unbelievably Churchill can not tell me my renewal price until this Friday 24/11! All other quotes from comparison sites and direct insurance company sites are coming back as £1100+. My main point here is how strange it is (or perhaps not!!) that I can get new quotes up to 30 days ahead from all insurance companies, including Churchill (£892.49), yet they, holders of my current insurance record, cannot quote my renewal price until after this 'one day special' from Saga has expired?! It's quite true that insurance pricing is something of a gamble and totally without logic.
isn't there a cooling off period? so you could buy the saga insurance then cancel if you get a better deal?

• Helpful
Reactions: PeteSanders
isn't there a cooling off period? so you could buy the saga insurance then cancel if you get a better deal?
Yes and that will only count for when the policy starts as well ie. buy and lock in the price now and in this instance the 14 day cooling off period will count down from 19/12 👍

Ive had this with some insurers and the AA insurance I have with my bike is abysmal for this. This, I find is more of recent years with some, and sometimes I think it's so that you cant get the best pricing earlier on. Very annoying!

• Informative
Yes and that will only count for when the policy starts as well ie. buy and lock in the price now and in this instance the 14 day cooling off period will count down from 19/12 👍

Ive had this with some insurers and the AA insurance I have with my bike is abysmal for this. This, I find is more of recent years with some, and sometimes I think it's so that you cant get the best pricing earlier on. Very annoying!
I am seeing on Money supermarket a lot of prices now showing as only valid for 1 day which did not used to be the case
BUT
In my experience if you click through to the insurers site and save the quote there you often get a much longer guaranteed period.

• Informative
All good, helpful and interesting points thanks guys. I cannot save the quote on the Saga site as suggested so will have to make a decision whether to buy that one and cancel during the cooling off period by the end of the day today, or to rely on Churchill still being the cheapest as they have been for the last 3 years. The one day valid quote does seem to be becoming a thing on comparison sites, but the whole insurance buying process does seem little more than a scam as suggested above!

68% increase for my M3P this year with my current provider (Churchill); and whom are still the cheapest for me. £625 last year, going to £1050 this year with £800 excess. 42 year old male with an SP50 from 2020. no accidents/claims in my 17 years of driving. depressing!

68% increase for my M3P this year with my current provider (Churchill); and whom are still the cheapest for me. £625 last year, going to £1050 this year with £800 excess. 42 year old male with an SP50 from 2020. no accidents/claims in my 17 years of driving. depressing!
oh god. I've just received a Comparethemarket email for mine saying its doubled to £940 as cheapest.....

Reactions: gdallas
Another data point for the thread. Feel lucky compared to most looking at the figures above. Admiral.

Late 2021 Tesla model 3 LR, 10000 miles per year (2000 business), 48yo plus wife same age, max NCD, minimum excess, rural Oxfordshire- £550. Only managed to haggle £27 off them this year..

As a comparison- 2023 BMW Z4 M40i with 5000 SDP miles only (close in terms of performance) - only £347.

Mine was a 54% YoY increase with no changes to the policy (Direct Line). The only thing close to this was Admiral with a £14 saving but a substantially worse excess, so I just renewed with DL.