Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're coming to stay in the Vancouver area, keep in mind that it won't actually be a "Vancouver" supercharger, but rather it'll be in Squamish. That's about 45 minutes drive north of Vancouver on the way to Whistler. That won't be much help to you for touring around town. The superchargers along I-5 are pretty much complete now, so your trip up will be fine - last s/c site will be just south of Bellingham, WA and that will give you lots of juice for the final leg to Van.

For charging around town, there are a lot of different stations. Some you can just plug into, some need a membership card or phone app to get the charging started. Most are free to use, but pay attention to the signs re: paying for parking. No consistent rules from lot to lot. A Chargepoint account will go a long way here. Also, the Tesla service center has a HPWC installed for anyone to use, but keep in mind they are located in the area of the Port facilities. Not a whole lot of interest to do while charging!

So I live in northern California and am looking at driving up to Vancouver late this summer for a vacation. Two questions:
1) Any further scoop on the Vancouver SuperCharger?
2) Any recommendations on Vancouver hotels that offer charging?

Thanks,

O

The Squamish charger will be in by that time and you'll definitely want to drive that route (Sea-to-Sky) Highway. I just got my car last week and plan to drive up there ASAP just to enjoy the winding road along the coast.

I recently went by the proposed SC installation site in Squamish and also stopped at city hall, who said Tesla advised them that Squamish would be the first SC in Canada. The permitting process will "soon" be complete (a few weeks?). One of the required permits is for re-zoning. BC Hydro also needs to provide an approval of some kind. Boston Pizza should be happy as the 6 superchargers will be just behind them (i.e. east side of the buildings) in the Garibaldi Village shopping plaza. I took the photo of the sign from just beside Highway 99.

Attachments

• 6 SC spots.jpg
    6 SC spots.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 440
  • SC sign.jpg
    SC sign.jpg
    632.6 KB · Views: 441
I recently went by the proposed SC installation site in Squamish and also stopped at city hall, who said Tesla advised them that Squamish would be the first SC in Canada. The permitting process will "soon" be complete (a few weeks?). One of the required permits is for re-zoning. BC Hydro also needs to provide an approval of some kind. Boston Pizza should be happy as the 6 superchargers will be just behind them (i.e. east side of the buildings) in the Garibaldi Village shopping plaza. I took the photo of the sign from just beside Highway 99.

Someone was having a seriously bad day when they superimposed the north arrow on that map.

considering it's still waiting for approvals in early april, I can pretty much guarantee it won't be working in early May. more likely June/July or later.

Considering all the hurdles I listed earlier, I tend to agree. One hopes that whoever is doing the work has the foresight to get all the other background work for civil site plans and BC Hydro permitting right now, while the municipal permitting is in review. If that is the case, then mobilizing the installation crew could be done quickly once the muni pulls the trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.