Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you monitor climate usage on MCU1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if there's any way to monitor the kwh of climate usage? I have a 2015 MS85D with MCU1.
So far the only thing I've seen at all is the idle usage in Tessie... That at least tells me how much power was used during an idle session... But ideally I'd like to see that I'm using x amount of kw, wh/mi, etc for climate...

I believe you can get Tesla to run a report using the Tesla app (after a long enough drive).

Tesla App > Service > Vehicle Range > Vehicle Range

This submits the request for Tesla to download the data and do the analysis. Then you will get a report in about 30 minutes in the Tesla app.

I have the MCU/2 upgrade, so I use this feature after a 30+ minute drive on occasion. I have no idea if this is available for MCU/1 users.

I believe you can get Tesla to run a report using the Tesla app (after a long enough drive).

Tesla App > Service > Vehicle Range > Vehicle Range

This submits the request for Tesla to download the data and do the analysis. Then you will get a report in about 30 minutes in the Tesla app.

I have the MCU/2 upgrade, so I use this feature after a 30+ minute drive on occasion. I have no idea if this is available for MCU/1 users.
I don't even have a "Vehicle Range" option under Service in my Tesla app.

Time to do the MCU/2 upgrade...
I would love to... (assuming I don't lose my free supercharging and connectivity).

Unfortunately I'm doing the budget Tesla thing... So I've already spent more than any other car I've owned at $19K... And I'm trying to survive my wife as the new car bills come in for a couple thousand$ in NY taxes, another $1K for front lower control arms/cam bolts and adjustable rear camber arms...
And another $1K for some 19" wheels, and a set of tires to hopefully increase range and soften the bumps a bit compared to these gorgeous 21" turbines currently installed....

Sell the turbines and get the MCU2, it really makes the car way better.
Will probably try to sell them once I find another cheaper set of 19's as backup. Unfortunately here in upstate NY (over an hour from Rochester or Ithaca) the best I've found is FB marketplace and it looks like I'd be lucky to find a buyer at all and maybe get $500 for them...
MCU2 is still $1750 or $2250 to keep my radios?

There’s no reason whatsoever to worry about losing these features.
I'd certainly like to think so, but it seems like I've seen a random post here and there about someone losing them(or being told by a service tech that they would be likely to)
And almost every post regarding Tesla service leads me to believe that they are difficult to talk to, aren't interested in details like what the actual problem is, just give you an offer to replace an entire assembly for big bucks, and in general don't seem to care if you don't like it...

I'd certainly like to think so, but it seems like I've seen a random post here and there about someone losing them(or being told by a service tech that they would be likely to)
And almost every post regarding Tesla service leads me to believe that they are difficult to talk to, aren't interested in details like what the actual problem is, just give you an offer to replace an entire assembly for big bucks, and in general don't seem to care if you don't like it...

Tesla service varies widely in terms of the overall experience, quality of work done, competence of personnel, etc. If you are close to more than one service center it might be good to investigate which is the "best" one. I'm not familiar with your area, but here in the SF Bay Area there are some service centers that have better (in some cases much better) reputations than others.

I don't have "Vehicle Range" on either of my cars either (one is a S85D with MCU1 like yours, the other is a Palladium LR X with MCU3 and FSD). This might be a very new feature. Maybe try the Energy graph panel on the CID while you're on a drive...it might have some of the breakdown you're looking for?

Bruce.

Tesla service varies widely in terms of the overall experience, quality of work done, competence of personnel, etc. If you are close to more than one service center it might be good to investigate which is the "best" one. I'm not familiar with your area, but here in the SF Bay Area there are some service centers that have better (in some cases much better) reputations than others.

I don't have "Vehicle Range" on either of my cars either (one is a S85D with MCU1 like yours, the other is a Palladium LR X with MCU3 and FSD). This might be a very new feature. Maybe try the Energy graph panel on the CID while you're on a drive...it might have some of the breakdown you're looking for?

Bruce.
As far as I can see, there's a service center near Rochester which is a little over an hour away. Everything else looks like it's at least 4-5hours away.

I've been looking at the energy app but mine just seems to show a graph of what you've used overall, a rated miles line, and a line for your average. I haven't seen anything broken out at all as far as where the power is going...

Reactions: bmah
As far as I can see, there's a service center near Rochester which is a little over an hour away. Everything else looks like it's at least 4-5hours away.

I've been looking at the energy app but mine just seems to show a graph of what you've used overall, a rated miles line, and a line for your average. I haven't seen anything broken out at all as far as where the power is going...

OK, maybe that energy breakdown is an MCU2/MCU3 thing then.

Bruce.

Reactions: livesmith
Yes, I have it too, on MCU1. Sorry for not seeing this post last summer, but that function does not give you kWh consumption reading. It will give some graphic how did you last drive was compared to the car’s EPA rating. This is from my last drive that I remembered to pull that data, during this I had strong head wind (almost a storm weather) in freezing conditions - around 20°F (-6°C). See photo, with my added data about the conditions.

89E8C1A8-1100-45A9-A553-E19AE6BA6FE3.jpeg