Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me diagnose possible high wh/mi highway usage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty sure the parking servos aren't dragging - I pulled the motors to reseal them and discovered that they were the newer style with the plastic O-ring channel on the gearbox, my sister's 2013 was an aluminum gearbox where it connected to the caliper. So I sealed them up with silicone after greasing the motors and all seemed good.

I haven't done anything with the brakes yet, gotta wait until I get it back from service now and maybe the sting of this invoice wears off a bit. When I get it back, I will be able to post the alignment sheet as it was in the door pocket.

That is right in line with the baseline of my X from right after I bought it, when it had factory 20” wheels. The previous owner said he had gotten rid of the 22” wheels (that this loaner has) because the power usage was hurt so much… So I’m wondering how badly MINE is being hurt by having even lighter Tsportline 19” wheels! That change would be all about the wheel weights and I KNOW that the OEM 20” are some heavy buggers.
The weight of the wheels will have minimal impact when driving at steady speeds. What will have an impact is the aero performance of the wheels, which can be huge. It could easily reduce range by 10% or more. (And then put hungry tires on top of that...)

I have noticed that the AC fan in this loaner seems nearly as capable at moving air as in my Model S, where the X at 11 is about like the S at 7 or maybe 8 on the blower speed. Not sure if that means that a blend door is stuck or what...
That sounds like one of the filters may be clogged, either the small cabin one or the large HEPA one.

Reactions: geordi
@geordi - don’t have any specific ideas to offer up but do you have some kinda of data logger (e.g. TeslaFi, stats, etc.)?

As perhaps there may be a clue in comparing data across drives.

For example, while you may see consistently high usage on all drives, you note some subset where it’s particularly high unexpectedly suggesting some characteristic about that subset which is causing/exasperating the problem.

@geordi - don’t have any specific ideas to offer up but do you have some kinda of data logger (e.g. TeslaFi, stats, etc.)?

As perhaps there may be a clue in comparing data across drives.

For example, while you may see consistently high usage on all drives, you note some subset where it’s particularly high unexpectedly suggesting some characteristic about that subset which is causing/exasperating the problem.

I've got Tessie, ScanMyTesla... have to look and see if I have TeslaFi - but aren't they all just using the same available stats from the car's API? At least SMT is directly connected, but it doesn't seem to log.

First - please do not suggest "just drive slower!" as an answer. Because not one of us bought these to do 50mph on the highway, and that is completely unrealistic in our modern society. It's likely to get someone run off the road. I have not changed my driving style from one vehicle to the next, and my highway cruising is long distances over frequently traveled routes, so I can SEE where the power usage has changed over time. It actually was lower when it was COLDER.

I'm asking for suggestions / places to look / things to try, and if there's anything I can check with ScanMyTesla or Tessie, I'd be happy to.

2016 X 90D. Battery currently showing 14.3% degradation, 224 rated miles at 100%, Tessie thinks the real world is 180. ACTUAL is more like 140. So there's either a mismatch in the BMS or there's something else going on. Cruising highway speed FLAT LAND (Florida, Georgia, SC, NC) is pushing 500 wh/mi. No that should NOT be that high. Previously driving the same route, power usage right after I bought this X at the same speed was around 375.

I've seen north of 500 wh/mi while towing (ok, that makes sense) but on the same trip in the plains, with a tailwind, was seeing 650. So this feels like something that is changing or turning itself on and off rather than something mechanical. Not towing right now, I'm seeing 470-500.

I've had the half shafts replaced, changed to a set of Tsportline wheels (and I can feel that they are definitely lighter than the stock setup) with slightly narrower tires (255) that are the same diameter outside as the 20" wheel setup. No extra electrical loads inside, no inverter (so that's all ruled out). AC is on, refrigerant load is exactly correct according to the sticker. ~25 and ~200 for refrigerant pressure with the system on. Ohmmu battery now.

Virtual support hasn't been terribly helpful, suggesting that I needed to replace the 12v battery and the coolant pump - but no mention of which pump, and there are no errors for anything there. The only errors I have seen are related to the falcon door calibration, an RCCM actuator, PresSnsDis (climate pressure sensor?) and now a new one that it is "unable to charge" on AC, when it still is charging just fine.

That unable to charge message (CHG_f018) started right after replacing the 12v battery, so maybe having everything powered off made it detect it. I swapped the 12v batteries around and that error is still there, and it's only been for the last few days. So I don't think that's related.

So.... Where to look next? Ideas please!!!!
Has your acceleration mode setting changed?

I run in standard, although I have not seen a difference in the overall power usage by keeping it in chill - all it seems to do is put a display on the dash, and make the car feel less agile when performance might be needed. I don't stuff my foot in it often, but when I do, it is NEEDED to get out of a situation.

Reactions: mongo
The only two codes related to the climate control that I've seen are for one of the RCCM actuators (blend door) and that temperature sensor. I'm not certain when the temp sensor one came up, but it COULD be b/c I evacuated the system and recharged it. I wasn't convinced that it was charged properly (I think it may have been over actually) and now I know that it has exactly the right amount of refrigerant in it. It was evacuated very slowly to avoid loss of any oil, properly vacuumed, and then filled back up.

The condenser fan does not run continuously, and when it is running, only seems to ramp to high jet-engine-mode intermittently. That seems like normal performance.

In thinking about all of this, I'm starting to lean toward the idea that it may be something not monitored by the car's systems, like the brakes. That's considerably cheaper to mess with as an experiment, than replacing the compressor which seems to be working perfectly.

EVERY type of AC compressor uses the refrigerant oil for lubrication. That's not unusual. But if you are evacuating a system and open the valves fully, the system will shift oil and refrigerant together to the collection unit. If you do it very slowly, the oil settles and the loss is minimal.

Reactions: brainhouston
That compressor needs suction pressure for lubrication if you have zero pressure returning you have zero oil pressure that's not like other compressors it has way less moving parts also the dc converter can do weird things if you don't shut down and disconnect the 12 v battery correctly just an idea

Last edited:
The compressor wasn't running during the evacuation? I guess if you haven't done it before then you wouldn't know - it's not a powered process from the car side, all the refrigerant is pulled out of the car's system by a vacuum pump and the discharge of the pump is into a collection container. Or vented although you aren't supposed to do that... even though we all know it happens.

So the Tesla climate control was off. The valves were only just opened a crack to let the pressure escape slowly and not opened fully until the pressure had been drawn off to near zero. Then the vacuum kept pulling until it was down to nearly 30 inches, but the system was never "open" to any contamination. Once I was satisfied with the vacuum level, charge back up with a measured amount, and don't turn the compressor on until at least 25% was transferred.

I probably should have powered off the 12v, but that's an afterthought.

Wouldn't worry about it. Yes, its recommended not to vent but this is why everyone switched to R134a (safe for atmosphere) vs R22
Can't control things like accidents and leaks...
I don't worry about it, and I also know that the cans of "air duster" are exactly the same stuff - R134a. But the requirements do say that even 134a is supposed to be recovered rather than vented. I think it is just to make the process more expensive.

R22 was never in an automotive system though, but on a happier note for the environment, even refrigerators that had used R22 are now using R134a or possibly R410... While newer cars have switched to R1234yf because of course we need YET ANOTHER thing to have to have around. (bangs head on wall)

Just a curiosity question from a guy who doesn't know too much. Could the AC compressor have increasing internal friction, causing more power to be used to run it? That doesn't seem as easy to check as dragging brakes, one only needs a remote temperature sensor for that.

Anyway, curious because I'm about to buy a 2018 X to replace my model S. Need to keep up on these things!

Reactions: brainhouston