Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you drive your Tesla in the rain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I reached out to Tesla a couple of days ago and received a surprisingly speedy response. For context, whenever I’ve reached out to Tesla via email they’ve taken atleast a week to reply.

Given I also live in Edinburgh and drive a Tesla, I asked them if there’s specific precautions I should take when driving in the rain.

They responded:

Thank you for your email.​
Whilst we are unable to comment on individual cases, we can confirm that your vehicle is safe to drive in the Rain. However, in accordance with the Vehicle user manual, we do not recommend operating the vehicle if it has been exposed to flooding or extreme weather events. Please see extract below:​
“As with any electric vehicle, if your Tesla has been exposed to flooding, extreme weather events or has otherwise been submerged in water (especially in salt water), treat it as if it’s been in an accident and contact your insurance company for support. Do not attempt to operate the vehicle before Tesla Service has inspected it, but you should tow or move it away from any structures.
Note
Damage caused by water is not covered under warranty.”
You may also find the below information from the met office valuable, regarding driving in sever weather.​
The vibe I’m getting is there’s more to the story we’re getting. Although would be interested to understand Tesla’s definition of an extreme weather event. Even though we’ve had weather warnings, the intensity of the rain is a fraction to that of North American or Asian.
The first obvious question is what is the safe level of water to operate it in ? I mean if you can't drive though a puddle that is not really fit for purpose especially in Scotland.
Also the idea that damaged caused by water is not covered under the warranty can also not be that cut and dried ( see what I did there). I mean parts of the car are designed to get wet including the whole outer body suspension and to some degree the motors. If my door seals leak in the rain they had better not tell me that is not covered under the warranty. But if I drive in water above the bottom of the door then that is probably fair enough.

During this weekend's visit to Suffolk, I drove the MYLT through some nasty looking flooded roads. No unwanted after effects yet.... I hope the motors and battery packs are sufficiently water resistant that I need not be concerned about corrosion rearing its ugly head in future.

Have any UK and Ireland owners had a similar flooded road experience?

The first obvious question is what is the safe level of water to operate it in ? I mean if you can't drive though a puddle that is not really fit for purpose especially in Scotland.
Also the idea that damaged caused by water is not covered under the warranty can also not be that cut and dried ( see what I did there). I mean parts of the car are designed to get wet including the whole outer body suspension and to some degree the motors. If my door seals leak in the rain they had better not tell me that is not covered under the warranty. But if I drive in water above the bottom of the door then that is probably fair enough.
The section of the manual quoted is specifically about the High Voltage Battery. Other parts are fine to get wet.

Found it - They should be covered!. They just need to flash this tweet (Sorry i mean "X") at the Service centre!

Screenshot 2023-10-23 163603.png

Found it - They should be covered!. They just need to flash this tweet (Sorry i mean "X") at the Service centre!

View attachment 984665

They should at least try it on quoting that! Nothing to lose. Such a dumb pointless thing to say - I can throw a stone in a lake that 'works like a boat' for four or five skips then sinks. I can work as a cross channel swimmer for a 'short period of time'. Then I drown.

They should at least try it on quoting that! Nothing to lose. Such a dumb pointless thing to say - I can throw a stone in a lake that 'works like a boat' for four or five skips then sinks. I can work as a cross channel swimmer for a 'short period of time'. Then I drown.
There is a youtube video showing Teslas driving through deepish water in China. The narrator suggests that this is the normal testing practice for new cars. I can't see that this is to be believed unless the cars for the Chinese market have additional waterproofing built in.

My new thread specifically asking for owners experiences of driving through flooded roads has been moved and lumped in with the existing thread "Can you drive a Tesla in the rain?" I hope I am not the only member that can see these are different questions! My first ever Thread here too🥲. Are we short of space or just a lack of syntactical or semantic judgement and failure to recognise that following a weekend of widespread flooding, my question was a little more apposite than " Can you drive in rain?

I am disappointed both by the thread move and also by the lack of response to my specific question, possibly because it no longer carried the weight of a thread title. It is also possible that I am uniquely foolish in my decision to risk it and/or double- dum to admit to it.😊
PS The water was no deeper than I would have driven an ICE car through.😉

My new thread specifically asking for owners experiences of driving through flooded roads has been moved and lumped in with the existing thread "Can you drive a Tesla in the rain?" I hope I am not the only member that can see these are different questions! My first ever Thread here too🥲. Are we short of space or just a lack of syntactical or semantic judgement and failure to recognise that following a weekend of widespread flooding, my question was a little more apposite than " Can you drive in rain?

I am disappointed both by the thread move and also by the lack of response to my specific question, possibly because it no longer carried the weight of a thread title. It is also possible that I am uniquely foolish in my decision to risk it and/or double- dum to admit to it.😊
PS The water was no deeper than I would have driven an ICE car through.😉
Yes you can

Model 3 2019

Model Y 2023

But that does not necessarily mean you should. Chances are you will get away with it but it will be a very expensive mistake if you don't.

Yes you can

Model 3 2019

Model Y 2023

But that does not necessarily mean you should. Chances are you will get away with it but it will be a very expensive mistake if you don't.
😂😂😂 I know you can - I am seeking owners personal experiences of having done so and any issues resulting from it.
There is a wealth if vids around showing Teslas bow- waving like speed boats but no feedback on how they were running a few months later; corrosion effects can take time to "surface".

😂😂😂 I know you can - I am seeking owners personal experiences of having done so and any issues resulting from it.
There is a wealth if vids around showing Teslas bow- waving like speed boats but no feedback on how they were running a few months later; corrosion effects can take time to "surface".
Those are both me. No ill effects from either one so far. Except water in the lower boot that came up through the drain holes in the model 3. The water was about 18" deep. I don't have the M3 any more but it was fine for the 2 1/2 years following that video.

Reactions: Wattsisname
I recently found a good deal for a 2022 Used Model X Plaid. However, the original owner is located in Florida and my wife is very apprehensive about buying a car from Florida due to salt water damage. My wife grew up in Florida and has put her foot down for me not to proceed with this purchase as it's a health risk according to her. These are the articles she came across

As someone who lives in Edinburgh and drives a Model Y, this is pretty concerning.

Whilst there is a chance the car was driven through standing water, most of the City of Edinburgh was spared from the flooding that has been seen elsewhere in the country. I’m not saying there isn’t more to the story, just an observation that there hasn’t been extensive flooding in this area.

The guys from the story have tweeted Tesla regarding it here:
Same situation just occurred to my Tesla Y - has been driving in heavy rain, error code BMS_a035 comes up, Tesla service Center adviced me to power off the car, when I reached my destination - so I did…. When wanting to drive back home, the car was DEAD, No help from Tesla Assistance, had to use my own insurance - got the car opened and the system running shortly - and got the car in ‘Tow Mode’ The car was then transferred to a Tesla Service Center, they now claim that the high voltage battery is defective due to water ingress, NOT cowered by the warranty (car is less than 2 years old, has run app. 60KKm) This is the worst kind of customer care I ever has experienced. And more frustrating - all the responsible people are inaccessible, you have nowhere to turn to but the Call Center, they are gentle persons, but not in much help in such a situation

I have always wondered why the battery is designed to allow water in after being submerged as its so easy to ensure it doesn't.
Quite simply, a narrow vent pipe could run up high enough so that any chilling of the battery from water immersion only draws air in from above a decent level.
At the moment, a fully sealed battery has a vent that is supposedly one way and only allows air out when heated. This causes a small vacuum in the battery that can draw moisture laden air or water in to a swiftly chilling battery housing past slightly faulty seals.
I really must speak to the Patent Office! :D