Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you drive your Tesla in the rain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You need to have a chat with Chet Bull Racing!

1st attempt - failed

2nd attempt - better!

I feel like the new BEV Range Rover might be the way to go as they seal their cars up for wading already. Apparently the limits they set on their cars is simply because it’ll be up to the top of the wheel well and the car will start floating beyond that.

Good videos though. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I feel like the new BEV Range Rover might be the way to go as they seal their cars up for wading already. Apparently the limits they set on their cars is simply because it’ll be up to the top of the wheel well and the car will start floating beyond that.

The only time a Range Rover faces challenging terrain is in between it getting stolen and recovered.

As someone who lives in Edinburgh and drives a Model Y, this is pretty concerning.

Whilst there is a chance the car was driven through standing water, most of the City of Edinburgh was spared from the flooding that has been seen elsewhere in the country. I’m not saying there isn’t more to the story, just an observation that there hasn’t been extensive flooding in this area.

The guys from the story have tweeted Tesla regarding it here: https://x.com/robrobedi/status/1712416378555179500?s=46&t=1q3GFZxjheoxArF616tBdQ

it’ll be up to the top of the wheel well and the car will start floating beyond that

Form memory Chet went to the local garage and asked if he could "rent" all their 1 gallon screen wash containers for a couple of hours, and filled up the car with those to have enough ballast to "sink" :)

But floating / swimming is also an option :)

That place was a killer for ICE cars where people would motor in too quickly and flood their engines.

Back in the day (60's, maybe 50's ... probably in a Triumph Herald) , my Father told a story of getting marooned on a return trip from Scotland with all the border crossings impassable. A local offered to help, took him to an alternative crossing which was very steep sided and consequently the water was deep but narrow. "Follow me, you need to be doing 60 MPH" ... or something like that ... and they just aquaplaned across!

As someone who lives in Edinburgh and drives a Model Y, this is pretty concerning.

Whilst there is a chance the car was driven through standing water, most of the City of Edinburgh was spared from the flooding that has been seen elsewhere in the country. I’m not saying there isn’t more to the story, just an observation that there hasn’t been extensive flooding in this area.

The guys from the story have tweeted Tesla regarding it here: https://x.com/robrobedi/status/1712416378555179500?s=46&t=1q3GFZxjheoxArF616tBdQ
Hmm... "Edinburgh had heavy rain and we were driving about in it at the weekend and the battery got mushed apparently."

Even if the battery was compromised somehow just driving about in rain doesn't fit with "They said that the battery is effectively submerged in water."

We're definitely not getting the full story here, and no mention of insurance, which would be the first port of call for flood damage.

Form memory Chet went to the local garage and asked if he could "rent" all their 1 gallon screen wash containers for a couple of hours, and filled up the car with those to have enough ballast to "sink" :)

But floating / swimming is also an option :)

Back in the day (60's, maybe 50's ... probably in a Triumph Herald) , my Father told a story of getting marooned on a return trip from Scotland with all the border crossings impassable. A local offered to help, took him to an alternative crossing which was very steep sided and consequently the water was deep but narrow. "Follow me, you need to be doing 60 MPH" ... or something like that ... and they just aquaplaned across!
The locals always know these little tricks and ways.

Seem like serial complainers if you look at their twitter feed:
£5000k out of pocket due to
@British_Airways
incompetence and huge delay on compensation customer relations claim, no response from #seandoyle /if we didn’t pay for an apparent ticket we had already we wouldn’t have got home - who wants to hear our story? #BBCBreakfast
@SkyNews
@DrayTekUK
hi. Do you know of an issue with Draytek and Sonos not playing AirPlay 2?
So… when are the
@Edinburgh_CC
going to finish Lanark road with tar resurface and proper levelling? Plus the bus stops haven’t been done yet.
@EdiAirport
ridiculous pick up point edinburgh airport. No signage for passengers or drivers. No contactless payment at the machine to pay. 3rd world! #edinburghairport
https://twitter.com/British_Airways

Seem like serial complainers if you look at their twitter feed:
To be fair - I use twitter mostly for complaining because at the moment it seems to be the best way to get response from companies. Does it mean I make things up - No.

What's happened here - no-one knows but I think Tesla is not helping it self either by being very cryptic and If they responses from Tesla is all they have said - it sounds like a coverup IMO.

Ii think it is pretty clear that normally Teslas can handle pretty deep water much deeper than your average ICE..Otherwise you would see hundreds of this type of story. And we just dont.

You can see a video here of me driving through 18" of water here as a pretty dumb example of what not to do
Thread 'Model 3 Wading Ability' Model 3 Wading Ability

But if you are unlucky enough to suffer an issue doing this then is it really a shock that Tesla would try to blame you even if others have gotten away with it?

Problem is we really don't know the facts in this case.

But if you are unlucky enough to suffer an issue doing this then is it really a shock
1697966632038.gif

I reached out to Tesla a couple of days ago and received a surprisingly speedy response. For context, whenever I’ve reached out to Tesla via email they’ve taken atleast a week to reply.

Given I also live in Edinburgh and drive a Tesla, I asked them if there’s specific precautions I should take when driving in the rain.

They responded:

Thank you for your email.​
Whilst we are unable to comment on individual cases, we can confirm that your vehicle is safe to drive in the Rain. However, in accordance with the Vehicle user manual, we do not recommend operating the vehicle if it has been exposed to flooding or extreme weather events. Please see extract below:​
“As with any electric vehicle, if your Tesla has been exposed to flooding, extreme weather events or has otherwise been submerged in water (especially in salt water), treat it as if it’s been in an accident and contact your insurance company for support. Do not attempt to operate the vehicle before Tesla Service has inspected it, but you should tow or move it away from any structures.
Note
Damage caused by water is not covered under warranty.”
You may also find the below information from the met office valuable, regarding driving in sever weather.​
The vibe I’m getting is there’s more to the story we’re getting. Although would be interested to understand Tesla’s definition of an extreme weather event. Even though we’ve had weather warnings, the intensity of the rain is a fraction to that of North American or Asian.