Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you drive your Tesla in the rain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have always wondered why the battery is designed to allow water in after being submerged as its so easy to ensure it doesn't.
Quite simply, a narrow vent pipe could run up high enough so that any chilling of the battery from water immersion only draws air in from above a decent level.
At the moment, a fully sealed battery has a vent that is supposedly one way and only allows air out when heated. This causes a small vacuum in the battery that can draw moisture laden air or water in to a swiftly chilling battery housing past slightly faulty seals.
I really must speak to the Patent Office! :D
They don't do it because the vehicle is not designed to be submerged. Just like how a lot of cars can easily be made to survive deeper fording via a snorkel kit, but almost no manufacturers provide that from factory.

I have always wondered why the battery is designed to allow water in after being submerged as its so easy to ensure it doesn't.
Quite simply, a narrow vent pipe could run up high enough so that any chilling of the battery from water immersion only draws air in from above a decent level.
At the moment, a fully sealed battery has a vent that is supposedly one way and only allows air out when heated. This causes a small vacuum in the battery that can draw moisture laden air or water in to a swiftly chilling battery housing past slightly faulty seals.
I really must speak to the Patent Office! :D
Off roaders are modded to route the diff vents higher up to make sure no water gets in, but of course you're not supposed to be wading a Tesla.

I'm sure there will be some dedicated off roaders, or after market, in the future who have this sorted, along with the electronics higher and adequately sealed.

The Land Rover PHEV’s and I’m sure the fully electric Range Rover will have 900cm of wading depth just like the petrol / diesel models. It’s set at that because any deeper it starts to float but point is the battery would be fully underwater at those depths. So I imagine they do this right so no reason others cannot. Maybe it’s just a cost thing and others don’t care.

With the flooding we get this country that’s only likely to get worse from climate change, this will become more important over time.