Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you control Cold Weather Settings via API or apps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup. Well said.

The tesla app remains a mystery to me. There is so much functionality that could be added, some of which 3rd party apps cover, some of which require tesla to implement some things. Most glaring among these are the lack of any cold weather package features. I have no idea why you can activate climate, but there's no way to turn on seat heaters or defrosters!

Alas, tesla can't even bother to update the app to properly support higher iPhone screen resolutions, which have been out for well over a year. It's one of the only apps left on my phone that hasn't touched their UI in such a long time.

For such a technologically advanced vehicle, it's frustrating to see such glaring omissions go unresolved for such a long time, particularly when other far lesser vehicles offer the features. And given that tesla owners probably skew towards tech savvy, even more disappointing that they'd ignore an app that many owners likely use on a daily basis.

/rant

The main reason that I'd want to be able to control the seat heaters via API isn't for pre-warming; it's so that I can easily add physical controls to the back seat so that people that ride back there don't have to be dependent on the front seat folk to adjust the seats for them. If there were API access I could potentially hack up Amazon's "1-click" buttons or use something like the new Flic buttons, and just hide them somewhere touchable but out of sight.

Can you control things like seat heaters and steering wheel heater via the API or apps (which I guess is really the same thing). If not is there any good reason why you can't do this when you can control climate? Or is this a case of they didn't bother adding it to the UI when they added this functionality.

It would be very nice to get in your car and have the seat and wheel warm - especially when it is -13C as it was here this morning.

There is no way of controlling seat heaters and steering wheel heater remotely yet.
The lack of functionality is exactly why I created "Tesla Key" for quick and easy access to setting interior temp prior to entering the car. Setting interior temp using the default Tesla app requires some clicks and is far from instant.

With "Tesla Key" you can preset your required interior temp in settings and use iPhone 3D touch (one click) to start the HVAC system in the car. If you don´t own a 6S iPhone you can start the app and press your custom key for interior temp (2 clicks).

I use this functionality in the "Tesla Key" every day when I wake up to prepare my Tesla for driving to work. 20 minutes later I enter a car that is heated or cooled to my preferred comfort.

Link to app on iTunes: Tesla Key on the App Store