Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y heating failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello my dear Tesla owners,

I want to share my first experience on owning a Tesla.

Buying a new car is a new experience and for some it can be a troublesome exercise and for some it can be a breeze. For me leaning towards an EV, Tesla model Y, was a big step and from there on everything was smooth.

I placed my model Y LR order on 22nd Nov 2023. I read it in multiple forums that delivery can be in less than 2 weeks. To my surprise my car was ready on 25th Nov and they kept pressuring me to take delivery. I wanted to take delivery on 7th Dec, my wedding anniversary, but Tesla said no. You take it before 1st December or we will assign the car to the next buyer. I took delivery 30th Nov. The car already had 15mi when I picked up. I drove back home which was another 15 miles. Parked it outside my house, it was little rainy and damp weather. Later that night I parked my car in garage.

Next day was my appointment with the electrician to set up the charger. I took my car out and parked it outside my garage. After the installation I parked it back in the garage.

On Saturday we planned to visit a temple near by, everyone in the family was super excited. I turned on the heater and in return for super cold air through the vents, along with that a message on the screen "Cabin climate controls require service/cabin heating/cabin cooling limited or unavailable". First I thought it would go away but throughout the trip the heater did not turn on. What's worst is that my daughter fell sick the next day.

How bad can the build quality can be in Tesla, a brand new car that only ran for 30 miles had failure in one of the main components.

To put this in perspective I drive a 2005 Acura MDX with 170k+ miles on it, every single component on that car works. Heating, cooling, cruise control, auto lights, audio speakers, audio controls on steering, seat controls, rear seat climate controls. A car which is nearing its 20th year still works like a charm.

I really doubt how model Y is going to hold up after 5 or 8 years. Plus I'm also reading about heat pump failure in winter which Tesla miraculously fixed it by April (when winter fades out).

To sum it up,
Buying process - super easy
Appointment reminder - Fear of missing out. Constant nagging by Tesla representatives.
Taking delivery - top notch.

Overall product quality - somewhat questionable.

Hello my dear Tesla owners,

I want to share my first experience on owning a Tesla.

Buying a new car is a new experience and for some it can be a troublesome exercise and for some it can be a breeze. For me leaning towards an EV, Tesla model Y, was a big step and from there on everything was smooth.

I placed my model Y LR order on 22nd Nov 2023. I read it in multiple forums that delivery can be in less than 2 weeks. To my surprise my car was ready on 25th Nov and they kept pressuring me to take delivery. I wanted to take delivery on 7th Dec, my wedding anniversary, but Tesla said no. You take it before 1st December or we will assign the car to the next buyer. I took delivery 30th Nov. The car already had 15mi when I picked up. I drove back home which was another 15 miles. Parked it outside my house, it was little rainy and damp weather. Later that night I parked my car in garage.

Next day was my appointment with the electrician to set up the charger. I took my car out and parked it outside my garage. After the installation I parked it back in the garage.

On Saturday we planned to visit a temple near by, everyone in the family was super excited. I turned on the heater and in return for super cold air through the vents, along with that a message on the screen "Cabin climate controls require service/cabin heating/cabin cooling limited or unavailable". First I thought it would go away but throughout the trip the heater did not turn on. What's worst is that my daughter fell sick the next day.

How bad can the build quality can be in Tesla, a brand new car that only ran for 30 miles had failure in one of the main components.

To put this in perspective I drive a 2005 Acura MDX with 170k+ miles on it, every single component on that car works. Heating, cooling, cruise control, auto lights, audio speakers, audio controls on steering, seat controls, rear seat climate controls. A car which is nearing its 20th year still works like a charm.

I really doubt how model Y is going to hold up after 5 or 8 years. Plus I'm also reading about heat pump failure in winter which Tesla miraculously fixed it by April (when winter fades out).

To sum it up,
Buying process - super easy
Appointment reminder - Fear of missing out. Constant nagging by Tesla representatives.
Taking delivery - top notch.

Overall product quality - somewhat questionable.
No automobile is perfect and that's why they have warranties. I'm sure automakers would love to have a $0 budget for warranty claims, but that's not reality. For every 1 HVAC failure, there are thousands or tens of thousands that don't experience a premature HVAC failure.

Opposite of your experience, I had a 2019 Acura RDX that had so many problems that I sold it after just over 3,000 miles. My 2023 Model Y, on the other hand, has required no warranty repairs whatsoever in the first 8 months and 11,000 miles of ownership - everything works exactly as intended so far.

No automobile is perfect and that's why they have warranties. I'm sure automakers would love to have a $0 budget for warranty claims, but that's not reality. For every 1 HVAC failure, there are thousands or tens of thousands that don't experience a premature HVAC failure.

Opposite of your experience, I had a 2019 Acura RDX that had so many problems that I sold it after just over 3,000 miles. My 2023 Model Y, on the other hand, has required no warranty repairs whatsoever in the first 8 months and 11,000 miles of ownership - everything works exactly as intended so far.
I completely understand no automobile is perfect that being said you would want to use a component to work at least for a while before it reports failure. When a component works only once that should have been identified when the car was assembled. Quality check should have found this out. Moreover the heating failure, from what I read on the Internet, is a repeat offender. Once occured the issue tend to popup in future for sure.

Yep, did that. Earliest date is 15th Dec. Any knows how to escalate.
While discussing my issues with tesla service yesterday, they mentioned that I could try contacting "vehicle support" instead of service via the app. They said there are different escalation options between those 2 paths. I didn't get contact information as I don't intended to pursue that now. Maybe you can ask for that contact information via the text thread you had with tesla when you bought the car, or via the txt thread with the service department.

While discussing my issues with tesla service yesterday, they mentioned that I could try contacting "vehicle support" instead of service via the app. They said there are different escalation options between those 2 paths. I didn't get contact information as I don't intended to pursue that now. Maybe you can ask for that contact information via the text thread you had with tesla when you bought the car, or via the txt thread with the service department.
Thanks. Trying this now.

They asked me to come in tomorrow for the heating fix.
Good. I was going to suggest just driving to the SC, as no heat = safety issue with the car (no defrosting). In the past, when this was happening fairly frequently (early in the model run), this was the best way to get it prioritized. As far as stuff breaking on a brand new car, this isn't just a Tesla issue - all OEM's have this happen from time to time. But it's still frustrating for sure.

Thanks for all your inputs. Looks like the remote service/diagnostic showed up something. I was provided with a loaner car. Mrs is now in complete disbelief.
My heater is not working properly either.

The “technician” had the car for a whole day, and reported he had reinstalled the firmware. The heater worked fine since Monday evening, and now I have to take it back this coming Monday.

Can the climate system generate heat without the A/C compressor On? In Auto mode, the A/C is On, which could be a problem in cold weather if the evaporator develops ice that won’t melt.

2023 Model Y LR
Firmware 2023.38.9

Can the climate system generate heat without the A/C compressor On?
No - the compressor must be running for it be able to move heat (regardless of source - ambient air, motors, battery, computers) into the cabin.

The three-phase HVAC blower motor can be driven in an inefficient manner to generate a very, very small amount of heat, but not nearly enough to be useful.

There is no electrical resistance heater in the Model Y to heat the cabin - virtually all cabin heating comes from heat moved in from the heat pump, which requires the compressor to operate.

Last edited:
Reactions: vermell
Update - Got the car back last evening . Service summary says the refrigerant was low, leak test showed no sign of leaks. Technician suspects the refrigerant was underfilled at factory. I don't believe so but I will take his word for now coz when I took the delivery it worked fine. So far the car has not shown any signs of degradation in HVAC performance. I will monitor it in the coming weeks. Thanks for all your inputs.

Update - Got the car back last evening . Service summary says the refrigerant was low, leak test showed no sign of leaks. Technician suspects the refrigerant was underfilled at factory. I don't believe so but I will take his word for now coz when I took the delivery it worked fine. So far the car has not shown any signs of degradation in HVAC performance. I will monitor it in the coming weeks. Thanks for all your inputs.
Hope it solved. If there is a leak, the issue will return quickly, so you will know. Good luck.

I get the angst over something new breaking, it sucks, It has happened to me on various things (including cars). With that being said, anything that is manufactured has some percentage of failure. Its very common for things to either fail shortly after manufacture, or near their end of life. So common there are numerous studies about it and has a catchy name ("The bathtub curve").

If OP (or anyone else) is slightly interested, they could google that term and read the wiki article on that. It might help cope with the "I cant believe this new thing failed" thoughts and / or family discussions.

The VERY TL; DR paraphrased version is "its common for things to fail early in their manufactured life, with failure rates dropping as time goes on, then picking back up again as it nears its end of life".

So, "I cant believe this major component failed when I only drove XXX or XXXX miles! actually fits right in with whats expected for some percentage of manufactured goods, and no amount of Testing eliminates this bathtub curve.