Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CAN-BUS Information request

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am working on a project which I hope will be loved by all Tesla owners, I am an experience software engineer and am would like to add a new add on to my Tesla Model 3, before I can say what it is, I am trying to identify the message(s) that contain left / right signal indication, in addition to these I would also like to know if reverse is active and if the brakes are being used.

I have already purchased several cables and a USB CAN-BUS module, I can sniff the traffic from my car and share it over my WiFi network with my MAC.

Thank you for any help I receive.

There are the connections to make up a cable:

Attachments

• ODBCII.png
    ODBCII.png
    642.9 KB · Views: 42
I know to CANBUS connectors in the Tesla Model 3, the one I connected to is situate behind and between the front seats in the centre console. Are they're any other CANBUS connectors in the rear of the car where I would be able to sniff the information I'm not seeing?

I know to CANBUS connectors in the Tesla Model 3, the one I connected to is situate behind and between the front seats in the centre console. Are they're any other CANBUS connectors in the rear of the car where I would be able to sniff the information I'm not seeing?
Front Passenger footwell on the right side gives the most data. I have a couple of devices daisy chained there and it works well.

There are lots of projects out there working with the Tesla CAN bus data.

There is a DBC file which defines much of the data which was worked on by volunteers: GitHub - joshwardell/model3dbc: DBC file for Tesla Model 3 CAN messages

There's an Open source app for Android- CANDASH, which you can look at the code for and get tons of information: GitHub - nmullaney/candash: A simple Android app that turns your phone into an instrument cluster for your Tesla Model 3 and Y

Whatever you are looking to do has probably been done.

• Helpful
Reactions: mpgxsvcd