Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive stalk CAN bus id on a model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Uly_

Nov 27, 2023
Belgium
Hello all,

I'm currently trying to read from the CAN console connector (located behind the front seats) the drive stalk position.
The purpose is to integrate a gate opener system (microcontroller + RF) which would detect when the drive stalk is long pressed down, and send a signal to open my gate.

To do so, I bought a model 3 CAN adapter and sniffed the CAN messages while pressing down the drive stalk. The ~5 seconds capture 8k+ CAN messages with tons of different IDs.
So it looks like checking manually each ID is not the right way. Moreover if the data is not even recorded (wrong CAN bus, see 1st question).

I have 2 questions in mind :
- Considering the model 3 may have several CAN busses (read here: Tesla CAN Bus - Tinkla: Tinkering with Tesla), which would be the one to look on ?
- Once the CAN bus (on which the data is on) is known, where physically in the vehicle, and on which pins the CAN bus can be read ?
- Any knownledge about which CAN ID corresponds to the drive stalk position ? The Git repos I found on GitHub do not seem to have it recorded.

I could not find some relevant info about those points.

Thanks !

Hi,
The bus to sniff is the vehicle bus : CAN4 / Body
On a 20 pin plug, pins 9 + 10.

The message to sniff could be ID 553 :
bits 12-13-14 : GearLeverPosition 4="Full Up", 3="Half Up", 2="Full Down", 1="Half Down", 0="Center" ;
bits 16-17 : GearLeverButton (don't know how to decode it).

An alternate could be to sniff message 648 (right turn signal button) or 552 (left turn signal button).

I am interested in the way you will drive your gate. I made a lot of tries with a RF 433MKz, without sniffing something.

We can speek french if you prefer.

• Informative
Reactions: buckets0fun
Great thank you SopVlr

I was able to sniff the CAN messages with an ESP32 + CAN2515 (ACAN2515 library).
As you said, message 553 (0x229) contains this info I needed.

For the RF 433MHz, I used a CC1101 bought on Aliexpress and used the library SmartRc-CC1101.
For the recording, with the provided example software, used the raw recording featured, saved it as static code, and I used the raw playing feature to play it.

Thanks again !

Great !
I will try this CC1101.
On my side, I am looking for recorded raw data of one message 1001 on Tesla M3 before 2024 while making working headlights and flash headlight ?
Have you that ? e.g. 8 hex bytes when pressing stalk ahead + 8 hex bytes when tearing it backward.
The 1001 message's structure (model3dbc available on the WEB) works well but no more with headlights.
It should be a great help for me because the TM3 Highland emit only empty 1001 messages (because of no more stalks).