Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying the car, what to bring for the roadtrip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I finally took the plunge and am picking up a privately sold 2015 85D. Super excited to officially be able to join the Tesla club (not just be a sidelines member).

I'm a big fan of road trips and because I have to be in the state that the car is (actually I'll be about 40 miles away for work) I figured I would just pick it up and drive it home. The trip will be about 1400 miles (using the Tesla supercharger route since I can't do the straight shot).

So what should I bring for the road trip? Anyone have any tips for dealing with the plates and any unexpected things to pack for the trip? Obviously the Ipod and I'm begining the trip planning. But would love to hear some suggestions.

Personally, before a roadtrip, I always map it out on evtripplanner and print out the list of steps. It is amazingly much more accurate than the car's planner (although I don't have the tech package, so no route planner). This will accurately show you how much charge you'll need to take to make it to the supercharger. I generally add a 10-20 mile buffer over this number, to be conservative.

Reactions: swesson
Congratulations!

You might want to bring some window cleaner and microfiber towels to keep your windows clean...because you won't be stopping at gas stations. (Personally I use Invisible Glass, but many other people have used other products.) Someone else mentioned the tire repair kit...I think that's a good idea but it doesn't have to be the Tesla-branded one. It's nice having a tire gauge / air pump with you (again, you don't need to stop at gas stations).

Be sure to have a charging cable for your mobile phone...you can either charge off the USB ports or put a USB charger in the 12V outlet between the front seats.

I second the suggestion to plan out the overall trip on EVtripplanner, then once you have an idea what the overall route is, use the nav system and the "Trip" tab on the energy widget on the MCU to monitor your projected energy usage from charger to charger.

Consider putting the Plugshare app on your mobile phone. Just in case you need a "Plan B" for charging for some reason and you need to find a public charger somewhere.

Have fun!

Bruce.

So I finally took the plunge and am picking up a privately sold 2015 85D. Super excited to officially be able to join the Tesla club (not just be a sidelines member).

I'm a big fan of road trips and because I have to be in the state that the car is (actually I'll be about 40 miles away for work) I figured I would just pick it up and drive it home. The trip will be about 1400 miles (using the Tesla supercharger route since I can't do the straight shot).

So what should I bring for the road trip? Anyone have any tips for dealing with the plates and any unexpected things to pack for the trip? Obviously the Ipod and I'm begining the trip planning. But would love to hear some suggestions.

Congratulations on the Model S!
The best application I found for road trips is Waze for Tesla Incidents and Supercharger Traffic
A custom app for Tesla that will show current traffic hazards and police on the main 17" screen

upload_2016-5-23_19-11-32.png

Congrats and welcome to the family!

• Tesla tire repair kit is a must
  • Lots of music on a thumb drive. It sounds so much better than BT
  • Yes...glass cleaner and cloths
  • Waze, for sure. Easy to download.
  • EVTripplanner is great.
  • Cell charge cord
  • Tesla UMC. Should come with the car
  • Plugshare, ChargePoint and the others on your phone.
  • Cocktails and canapes.

I'm planning a 400 mile trip in a couple weeks to pick up mine.
Do you guys worry about the paint and all the bugs and rock chips?
The only solution I've seen people do is put blue painters tape on the front. Might look a bit funny though. lol

I keep the following:

Fix a flat
Heavy gauge extension cable
Detail spray, touchscreen cleaner, window cleaner, micro fiber cloths (Amazon ell their own brand for $10 for 24 towels)
Portable vacuum
Tesla jacket or hoodie
Blanket (if passengers get cold)
USB drive with music
Phone charger (I have the R2D2 charger from thinkgeek.com works great and is fun)
Air freshener
EV charging card
EZ pass
Sunglasses
First aid kit