Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tips for Buying a Used Car: What to Consider Before Purchasing a 2014 Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey there, car enthusiasts and Tesla fans! I'm currently in the market for a used 2014 Tesla Model S, and I wanted to reach out to this wonderful community to gather some valuable insights and advice. With a mileage of 91,000, I want to ensure that I make an informed decision and have peace of mind before finalizing the purchase. So, if you have any tips, suggestions, or experiences to share, please join the conversation and help me make the best choice!
What all question i should be asking or see on my own, plus do I have to whole car before buying, what should i do or it will be worth for 20000$

You are a brave man! Welcome to the community.
Personally, I would never buy a 10-year-old vehicle. Too many expensive things that can break.
You can search the Internet for horror stories about out-of-warranty BMWs, Jaguars, and yes, Teslas.
With a Model S, your options for saving money by using the local car mechanic are limited.

If you have an unlimited budget, or want to start a Tesla Car Repair YouTube channel, go for it.
Otherwise, don't do it. You are in for a word of hurt - I've owned two Model S vehicles, and while they were both solid, I sold my second after the warranty expired, and only had a couple thousand in repairs.
Otherwise save up for a nice Model 3!
Best to you.

Reactions: Gumball
Same here, don’t buy outside warranty unless you have real deep pockets, and savings you can do without.
I had a 2014 were the pack died one month before warranty expired, sold it directly after replacement, to many other really expensive things can die outside warranty, no fun in that for me.

Reactions: Skateboardgolf
If you want a Tesla on a budget, the above recommendation to consider an M3 sounds spot on. I’ve never driven an M3 but many people in this group can afford an MS but prefer a 3 for its more nimble handling and seemingly faster acceleration off the line.
One writer said it handled like a Miata, which is high praise indeed, although that likely applies to the M3 Performance.

If you want a Tesla on a budget, the above recommendation to consider an M3 sounds spot on. I’ve never driven an M3 but many people in this group can afford an MS but prefer a 3 for its more nimble handling and seemingly faster acceleration off the line.
One writer said it handled like a Miata, which is high praise indeed, although that likely applies to the M3 Performance.
If the OPs requirements prioritize "nimble handling" at the top of their list for buying a Tesla, then this makes perfect sense.

I bought an S 4 years ago and the space (hatchback, bigger car) and looks were much higher on the priorities list to me. I would never buy a 3 because of those two reasons alone.

Having said that I don't think it's a good idea to buy a 10 year old S unless you budget for expensive repairs.

Do it brother, but only if you try hard to find one with warranty in your budget and can’t. I was lucky enough to find one that had a few months of warranty left so that provided some piece of mind.
It’s a roll of the dice to be an owner of an older model S….

But I’m rolling those dice right down the highway baby. (Just babying her while going only the speed limit actually)

Last edited: