Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bubbles and Billionaires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I first bought TSLA, I was told by those colleagues who knew more than me, it was in a bubble & I'd regret it. I heard the same at $40, $50, etc. At $80, they strongly advised me to sell. "HUGE BUBBLE, Bonnie. Sell! Bubble, bubble, bubble, blah blah blah bubble blah bubble blah blah bubble!" Yeah, I heard you. "Bubble." Got it. At some point it is no longer a bubble, but the actual price.

They're the guys in finance. Who study all the bubble stuff. Keep their portfolios balanced and do everything the way people are told to do things. They talk about bubbles and lecture those they think are riding those bubbles.

Yesterday one of those colleagues asked what else I was investing in. And congratulated me on TSLA and a couple of other things they know I'm holding (and had advised me to sell because of that silly bubble talk).

How much lower do you think you will be able to buy it then?

Ive already bought and sold for a profit several times!
I'll prob buy it while it's still in bubble territory

- - - Updated - - -

If they are successful, 5 years from now they will still be expanding. Building more GFs, opening more stores etc.. So that will put a damper on profits, which is actually a good thing.

On the contrary, in 5 years if they are not expanding and showing a small profit, i would consider that as a failure.[/QU

T

Last edited:
When I first bought TSLA, I was told by those colleagues who knew more than me, it was in a bubble & I'd regret it. I heard the same at $40, $50, etc. At $80, they strongly advised me to sell. "HUGE BUBBLE, Bonnie. Sell! Bubble, bubble, bubble, blah blah blah bubble blah bubble blah blah bubble!" Yeah, I heard you. "Bubble." Got it. At some point it is no longer a bubble, but the actual price.

They're the guys in finance. Who study all the bubble stuff. Keep their portfolios balanced and do everything the way people are told to do things. They talk about bubbles and lecture those they think are riding those bubbles.

Yesterday one of those colleagues asked what else I was investing in. And congratulated me on TSLA and a couple of other things they know I'm holding (and had advised me to sell because of that silly bubble talk).

Bonnie, I would LOVE to know what else is in your portfolio. I only know of TSLA and SCTY..

The thing about Billionaire investors and their groups. Group like George Soros who has a bigger impact on the market despit being smaller, is that they are also experts at hiding assets. Since SEC disclosure rule only requires filing of long term positions within certain specifications, nobody will be able to know what they actually own.

From working with them, you sometimes get the feeling that they are probably bigger than Buffett in terms of total assets controlled. So I don't think following their disclosed purchases is the right method, unless if you have inside information on their actual purchases in real time,but then, if you are privy to those info, your personal trading acct would have a lot more restriction than the average Joe.

I had no idea investors would be so put off by the b word

The investors here aren't, you'll note that I even gave the subject it's own thread. What folks obviously objected to is someone who claims there's a bubble but then doesn't discuss or back it up. Hopefully you can understand that appears more like trolling than participating, hence some of the comments?

Now you're welcome to discuss the subject at hand, but I'm not going to approve any attempts to wreck the conversation.

The investors here aren't, you'll note that I even gave the subject it's own thread. What folks obviously objected to is someone who claims there's a bubble but then doesn't discuss or back it up. Hopefully you can understand that appears more like trolling than participating, hence some of the comments?

Now you're welcome to discuss the subject at hand, but I'm not going to approve any attempts to wreck the conversation.
I apologize
I assumed no profits serious high valuation is usually not uncommon to here that. I will tred very lightly.

Why are all of Topspins' posts edited down to just one word?

My guess is he wrote things he is now embarrassed about so he deleted the rest.

Apparently using the the be word is blasphemed!
i guess passing along standard and poors hold rating and fidelity's strong negative would be equally offensive.

"Apparently"?? You edited your posts yourself. Are you trying to say that someone else edited your posts down to one word? You did it. Hahah. But good try.

You were put on probation, as Nigel stated, so you could no longer edit your posts and wreck conversations with that behavior.

I apologize
I assumed no profits serious high valuation is usually not uncommon to here that. I will tred very lightly.
You should tread boldly--with fact-based insights. We welcome vigorous debate, but debate requires that one can back up one's opinions.

High-growth firms should not be putting profits to the bottom line. Corporations generate profits when they have no investment opportunities with above-market risk-adjusted rate of returns. Tesla is making a solid operating profit; for the six months ending June 30, 2014, Tesla generated over $57 million of cash flow from operating activities. Likewise, if Tesla hadn't invested $108 million in R&D last quarter, it would have had a GAAP profit of $46 million. (Figures are from the 10-Q, Cash Flow and Income statements.)

Personally, I'm happy that Tesla management is finding lots to do with its cash flow from operations; it indicates that they see many ways to grow the company. A stock's price isn't about a company's current profitability, but rather the stream of future profits.

You should tread boldly--with fact-based insights. We welcome vigorous debate, but debate requires that one can back up one's opinions.

High-growth firms should not be putting profits to the bottom line. Corporations generate profits when they have no investment opportunities with above-market risk-adjusted rate of returns. Tesla is making a solid operating profit; for the six months ending June 30, 2014, Tesla generated over $57 million of cash flow from operating activities. Likewise, if Tesla hadn't invested $108 million in R&D last quarter, it would have had a GAAP profit of $46 million. (Figures are from the 10-Q, Cash Flow and Income statements.)

Personally, I'm happy that Tesla management is finding lots to do with its cash flow from operations; it indicates that they see many ways to grow the company. A stock's price isn't about a company's current profitability, but rather the stream of future profits.

Standard and and poors rates it a hold, fidelity a strong negative. At 260 there's plenty of other experts that think it's gone too far to fast.

Standard and and poors rates it a hold, fidelity a strong negative. At 260 there's plenty of other experts that think it's gone too far to fast.

I am sure TSLA will have another pullback at some point. That is what stocks do, especially volatile ones. But will it be from 260 to 230, or maybe 300 to 270? No one knows? But saying "experts" think it's gone too far too fast doesn't sway anyone here since they have all been wrong making that claim all along, and I would say that many posters on here are much more "expert" is Tesla and it's growth trajectory than analysts whose job is to focus on many stocks and do not have the time or interest to spend as much time as those people here on true Tesla analysis. They may be professionals but in reading their reports on TSLA, one can easily see that they are a long ways from understanding the true Tesla story.