Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Pads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
mine have been serious rattle buckets too -- I think it's the pads but not 100%. Carbo's work well for sure but since changing them last summer, it's been non-stop rattling when i am not on the brake pedal. tried the red goo and will give that a shot again to see if that solves it. for some reason i think it's the jostling across the cross pins but that's just a hunch. Anyway, hoping the goo sets well and sticks to the calipers this time.

mine have been serious rattle buckets too -- I think it's the pads but not 100%. Carbo's work well for sure but since changing them last summer, it's been non-stop rattling when i am not on the brake pedal. tried the red goo and will give that a shot again to see if that solves it. for some reason i think it's the jostling across the cross pins but that's just a hunch. Anyway, hoping the goo sets well and sticks to the calipers this time.
Yeah, after cleaning all the surfaces w/ brake cleaner the key is to let the red goo set up for like 10 minutes (whatever it says on the can) before installing. That's what creates the ability to buffer the rattles. Otherwise it just wipes off as you're installing the pads into the calipers. I have not had a single rattle.

Yeah, after cleaning all the surfaces w/ brake cleaner the key is to let the red goo set up for like 10 minutes (whatever it says on the can) before installing. That's what creates the ability to buffer the rattles. Otherwise it just wipes off as you're installing the pads into the calipers. I have not had a single rattle.

Do you think the shims are needed then?

The shims are not needed, in that the brakes will work just fine... but they will rattle without them.

Thanks. I don't think they are part of the brake package a few of us ordered so will get those too unless it is a standard part that any performance shop has.

Is the 2010 Roadster 2.5 this one?
S2 1ZZ ELISE 2006-2010

Last edited:
I do not have shims and my brakes do not rattle. I would install without them and if you get rattles then you can add the shims in later.

Good advice. It's funny I was following another Roadster in an EV parade recently and his brakes were rattling (at least that's what Tesla told him it was). I thought it was my own car at first! I used the orange goo according to their directions and it's worked well - no rattles or squeals.

It seems like most people have gone with Carbotech pads but looking at pricing another owner was quoted, they are twice the price of EBC Yellow Stuff which seem to be aimed at the same applications. Does anyone have experience with the latter?

Yes Carbotech is a bit pricey. I've not tried EBC yellow.

I can heartily recommend that you stay far, far away from Hawk HP+. They are the most irritatingly loud brake pads ever made. They are so loud they will scare people off the sidewalk. If you want to try Hawk go with DTC-60.

It seems like most people have gone with Carbotech pads but looking at pricing another owner was quoted, they are twice the price of EBC Yellow Stuff which seem to be aimed at the same applications. Does anyone have experience with the latter?
Yes, the Carbotechs are pricy but I figure this will be the only set of brake pads I ever buy for this car so over the long run they aren't that expensive :)

I am a bit confused about the need for Carbotechs as I still have the original brakes. This weekend I had the opportunity to take a spirited drive on a VERY curvy road with many 180 degree turns. Needless to say I need to brake hard and several times I felt the anti-lock kick in. To me that means the brakes are grabbing well and a pad with more grip would kick in the anti-locks just a little earlier. San someone explain what I am missing, what would I gain with the Carbotech's?

I am a bit confused about the need for Carbotechs as I still have the original brakes. This weekend I had the opportunity to take a spirited drive on a VERY curvy road with many 180 degree turns. Needless to say I need to brake hard and several times I felt the anti-lock kick in. To me that means the brakes are grabbing well and a pad with more grip would kick in the anti-locks just a little earlier. San someone explain what I am missing, what would I gain with the Carbotech's?

Your brakes were dry. They weren't rusty. Despite having those two things in your favor, you still had to press the pedal harder than you do with Carbotechs. When you have an emergency braking situation it takes several extra feet of hard braking with the OEMs to grind the rust off before they grip very well. The OEM pads also wear out quicker and create more dust.