Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BP Pulse Orders $100 Million worth of Superchargers for US Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an owner who just transferred my FUSC from my 2020 MS to a new MY, I would not expect my FUSC benefit to extend to BP Pulse branded chargers. I would welcome, however, the option to use the BP network just as I do with CCS networks today. The redundancy adds an element of comfort which I’ve only used a couple times. Some areas in the southwest US remain thinly covered by fast chargers, but that situation improves yearly. Plus, the BP network will probably help address increased demand for NACS by owners of non-Tesla EVs built to that standard. Which is also a good good thing for Tesla drivers.

Just glad to see someone installing more magic dock sites. Plenty of questions are answered in the BP press release here.

26 October 2023
Today bp (NYSE: bp) announced a deal in which bp pulse, bp’s EV charging business, will acquire ultra-fast charging hardware units from Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) for $100 million. The investment will facilitate the expansion of the bp pulse public network across the US, while also enabling support for EV fleet customers by deploying chargers at their private depots. The introduction of Tesla’s chargers to the bp pulse network is the first time the hardware will be purchased for an independent EV charging network.

The roll-out is planned to begin in 2024 and locations will include key sites across the bp family of brands, including TravelCenters of America, Thorntons, ampm; and Amoco, as well as at bp pulse’s large-scale Gigahub™ charging sites in major metropolitan areas and at third-party locations, such as Hertz locations, as part of previously announced collaborations. The first installation sites have been identified in Houston, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Chicago; and Washington D.C.

Tesla’s chargers will also be deployed at select bp pulse fleet customer depots. By pairing bp pulse’s industry-leading, intelligent charge management software, Omega, with Tesla’s fast and reliable chargers, bp pulse gains the distinctive capability to oversee the entire charging process for EV fleets, providing a comprehensive solution for its fleet customers.

“Strengthening the bp pulse network with Tesla’s industry-leading hardware is a major step forward in our ambitions for high speed, open access charging infrastructure in the US and advances our ambition to delivering an exceptional customer experience,” said Richard Bartlett, global CEO of bp pulse. “Combined with our vast network of convenience and mobility sites on and off the highway, this collaboration with Tesla will bring fast and reliable charging to EV drivers when and where they need it.”

The Tesla ultra-fast chargers, which have an output of 250 kW, will be branded, installed and operated by bp pulse. The chargers will be fitted with Tesla’s ‘Magic Dock’, which is compatible with both North American Charging Standard (NACS) and Combined Charging System (CCS) connectors. This enables EVs from other major vehicle manufacturers to use the Tesla chargers on the bp pulse’s network, regardless of whether they use CCS or NACS ports. To further improve user experience, the Tesla chargers will support use of the Plug and Charge protocol, which simplifies and automates payments. As is Tesla's current policy, third-party operated ultra-fast chargers meeting Tesla's reliability and functionality requirements are featured in Tesla's vehicle UI and apps, and bp pulse expects to uphold those requirements on its network.

Rebecca Tinucci, Tesla's Senior Director of Charging Infrastructure said: “At Tesla, we’re driven to enable great charging experiences for all EV owners. Selling our fast-charging hardware is a new step for us, and one we’re looking to expand in support of our mission to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy. We appreciate bp’s partnership in this area – it’s the right step towards a more sustainable future.”

Free supercharging should be limited to the superchargers online at the time of purchase.
So, if, for instance, i drive cross country to, say Toronto, that with my FUSC, I may not charge at superchargers commissioned after I purchased my vehicle?
Free supercharger users are often abusing supchargers and using them for 100% of charging.
On which data do you base this statement?

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and KJD
So, if, for instance, i drive cross country to, say Toronto, that with my FUSC, I may not charge at superchargers commissioned after I purchased my vehicle?

He already told you that his objection to FUSC is abuse by people that could easily L2 charge but go to Superchargers instead because they are "free."

FWIW, I see the same kind of abuse at "free" L2 public charging. My city installed L2 charging at multiple locations and for about a year they were "free." They were heavily used and often packed. A couple of months ago the charging was changed to about 25¢ a kWh and since then they are deserted. Since I doubt that people just stopped driving their EVs, I infer that they were only using the public charging because it was "free."

"Free" is bad for the EV community. I'm not so sure that it is a good idea for Tesla to weasel its way out of its FUSC promise but I sure wish they would stop offering it as a sales tactic. Discounted Supercharging could work, wherein Supercharging is about the same price as local residential. That way people can have a money reason to go EV without facilitating abuse of the Supercharger network.

Last edited:
Hard to call it "abuse" when they bought an expensive car with that understanding.
I don't know that "abuse" is exactly correct, however, Tesla definitely did not intend to provide 100% of folks' charging when they first offered FUSC and it was definitely used a lot more than they anticipated. Such is the nature of innovation: things don't always go as expected.
Free supercharging should be limited to the superchargers online at the time of purchase. Free supercharger users are often abusing supchargers and using them for 100% of charging. Hopefully free supercharging gets eliminated soon.

I really can't believe that FUSC users can really be making up a very large portion of Supercharger users today. There are just so many Models 3 and Y out there without it compared to the small number that have it.
Those new purchasers who may have some sort of FUSC for a while after purchase may use it a lot but that's to be expected since they may not, yet have arranged for long-term sustainable charging at their home or work.
The only 'problem' is not enough charging (supercharger or home/workplace charging, where the car is anyway) or education that Supercharging is less convenient. This all will change. We're in the transition phase from ICE to EV so things will necessarily be a bit chaotic for a while.

Reactions: sdmack
I don't know that "abuse" is exactly correct, however, Tesla definitely did not intend to provide 100% of folks' charging when they first offered FUSC and it was definitely used a lot more than they anticipated. Such is the nature of innovation: things don't always go as expected.
But they had plenty of opportunity to realize that before that last few times they've offered it. Tesla obviously doesn't mind, or they wouldn't keep doing it.

I don't know that "abuse" is exactly correct, however, Tesla definitely did not intend to provide 100% of folks' charging when they first offered FUSC and it was definitely used a lot more than they anticipated.
It's not abuse if you were sold "Free Unlimited Supercharging" and you do not limit your supercharger use. That's what you were sold.

I really can't believe that FUSC users can really be making up a very large portion of Supercharger users today.

We can put an upper bound on an estimate by saying that non FUSC Tesla owners use Superchargers on average for about 15% of their miles while FUSC use Superchargers for 100% of their miles. So whatever the fraction of FUSC/non-FUSC is, multiply by about 7x.

This may be an under-estimate if FUSC drivers put more miles on their cars than non-FUSC owners

We can put an upper bound on an estimate by saying that non FUSC Tesla owners use Superchargers on average for about 15% of their miles while FUSC use Superchargers for 100% of their miles. So whatever the fraction of FUSC/non-FUSC is, multiply by about 7x.
Yes, but if only 2 to 5% of all Teslas have FUSC, they are a drop in the bucket.

I also know many who have FUSC who very rarely use Superchargers except on trips.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Yes, but if only 2 to 5% of all Teslas have FUSC, they are a drop in the bucket.

I don't think FUSC approaches 2%, let alone 5% overall, but perhaps pockets exist like silicon valley. But if 5% was true, then Supercharger occupancy is up to 35% FUSC. I would call that far from a 'drop in the bucket.' The other aggravating factor here is that FUSC owners are immune to peak rates so they have no financial incentive to charge at low(er) demand times.

If I was inclined to defend FUSC, I would wonder if the higher profit margin vehicles lead to more Supercharger deployment than would otherwise be the case. Only Tesla knows for sure.

I really can't believe that FUSC users can really be making up a very large portion of Supercharger users today. There are just so many Models 3 and Y out there without it compared to the small number that have it.
Those new purchasers who may have some sort of FUSC for a while after purchase may use it a lot but that's to be expected since they may not, yet have arranged for long-term sustainable charging at their home or work.
The only 'problem' is not enough charging (supercharger or home/workplace charging, where the car is anyway) or education that Supercharging is less convenient. This all will change. We're in the transition phase from ICE to EV so things will necessarily be a bit chaotic for a while.
Often it it is owners being cheap. We have 3-4 EV's that owners have home charging and walk multiple blocks to charge at our work chargers for free. It is such a problem we are issuing free Cards to staff and and activating the billing option for the public Jan 1st.

Reactions: Dracaris and brkaus
Often it it is owners being cheap. We have 3-4 EV's that owners have home charging and walk multiple blocks to charge at our work chargers for free. It is such a problem we are issuing free Cards to staff and and activating the billing option for the public Jan 1st.
Great idea! Since this is intended as a discouragement for non-employees, be sure to charge enough that it costs significantly more than the residential rates they pay at home. Just don't forget to keep careful track of those free charging cards so you can disable and/or ask for them back when employees leave.