Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BP/OPConnect charging in Hawaii

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got my Blink card yesterday. How's the power output on the Blink chargers? I read a recent article about Blink's parent company, ECOtality going bankrupt and being acquired by the "Car Charging Group." As Akikiki mentioned in a previous post, word on the street is that Tesla has an interest in the Car Charging Group....I wonder if that would be the beginning of their Level 2 network? CCGI is now the largest network of EV station in the U.S. since they acquired the Blink assets. If Tesla were to acquire CCGI, they would immediately become the largest EV charging force in the nation. Not sure if this would be good or bad for them though, as I'm sure a lot of the stations are in need of maintenance and they would have a infuse a lot of money to replace them with Tesla branded chargers (if they opted for that route). Lots to digest. All rumor at this point...but would be very cool if it happened. Food for thought...

Back to my original question...has anyone used the Blink chargers? If so, how's the power output?

When Tesla develops their Level 2 network, I hope they remain free for Tesla owners just as the superchargers are.

I may have been misled. I went to take pictures of the new chargers but could only find the two new ones at the ward theater parking. the security guard must have been thinking about the two OLD chargers at TJMax but pointed in the opposite direction. I looked and looked but the only NEW ones are these:
(the NIMA 14-50 sockets have a cover that is glued in place and does not open. so you have to use the J1772 cord.)
Ok, I thought I was misled about the number of chargers at Ward, but they were accurate. there are a total of 6 chargers at ward spread out over 4 locations.
as I was going to the theater today I tried to park at the chargers (2) at the movie theater. they were both ICEd. I noticed some of the staff there talking about the signage (to say EV only and should be up soon) They mentioned the other spots and told me where they were. after the movie I drove to all the locations and all were open except the two at the movie theater parking lot which, as I stated before, were ICEd.
2 at the TJMax parking area
2 at the Movie theater parking.
1 in front of Executive Chef
1 across from the valet station at ward center.

I went to Dave and Buster's yesterday for a Christmas party. It was storming earlier. Unfortunately, the two EV charging stalls at the Ward Theater parking were occupied by ICE's. They really need to start working on the signage. I was able to get one of the charging stalls over the parking for TJ Maxx.

The one of over at "Executive Chef" would probably be a shorter walk to "Dave and Busters" (even though you would need to cross the street.)
I was told that part of the issue with signage is, that they are also going to relocate some of the handicapped stalls at the same time.
Don't worry, they already know what I am going to say every time I walk into the security office to complain. I won't let them forget the signage. after that I am going to pester them on enforcement.

The one of over at "Executive Chef" would probably be a shorter walk to "Dave and Busters" (even though you would need to cross the street.)
I was told that part of the issue with signage is, that they are also going to relocate some of the handicapped stalls at the same time.
Don't worry, they already know what I am going to say every time I walk into the security office to complain. I won't let them forget the signage. after that I am going to pester them on enforcement.

Seriously, enforcement is a big problem at Kahala. Only two stalls and it always seems there's one taken by an ICE whenever I'm there (or a Leaf!) That and the taxis always park too close to the first stall.

I parked at the Ward - Exec Chef stall the other night. Turned on max range to get a full charge, since I was only about 40 mins away from normal full. First time I ever saw 200+ miles range on my MS! I love Ward - they actually have a reasonable # of chargers. Hard to believe that Ala Mo is so far behind.

I used the new Valkenburgh chargers (they replaced the 2 BP chargers) which costs $2/hr. I though the rate was fair, however once I got the power flowing realized it's only 15 Amps! Sigh...varied between 4-8 mph of charge. Not worth the $2 in my opinion--especially since you're likely (like me) only going to be there about 20-30 minutes.

Every time I have gone to Kahala they're occupied by Leafs. However every time I go to Kailua, one or both of the two stalls in front of Longs (against the wall) always have ICE's in them. And, there are signs clearly posted! I consider myself lucky that I got a stall in front of Whole Foods (that's a rarity!)

I used the new Valkenburgh chargers (they replaced the 2 BP chargers) which costs $2/hr. I though the rate was fair, however once I got the power flowing realized it's only 15 Amps! Sigh...varied between 4-8 mph of charge. Not worth the $2 in my opinion--especially since you're likely (like me) only going to be there about 20-30 minutes.

Every time I have gone to Kahala they're occupied by Leafs. However every time I go to Kailua, one or both of the two stalls in front of Longs (against the wall) always have ICE's in them. And, there are signs clearly posted! I consider myself lucky that I got a stall in front of Whole Foods (that's a rarity!)

I parked at the Kahala Whole Foods and the Left stall was open. the cable was about a foot short parking head on in the stall. I had to back into the stall to recharge.

I also went to the OpConnect charger Hilton Hawaiian village. I was greeted with an unpleasant $2 per hour notice when I plugged in. (first 5 minutes were free). I plugged in anyway to get my eFix. the charge rate was terrible, only 8 miles/hour.
when I got home with my full charge I had this in my email...
Untitled.png

I was actually plugged in about 6 hours. Not that I'm complaining but I guess they still have some bugs in the system.

the White Tesla parked next to me didn't risk the $2 charge. the Leaf owner who was unplugging when I left said that he was about to move up to a "real electric car" soon. (He just said Tesla, I added the real part).

The Hilton chargers are (were?) free and the old BetterPlace models the last time I went in October. Did they change them out to the new OpConnect? The Hawaii Energy site still shows them as free. Maybe you need to go get the special OpConnect card from the front desk like before if you want free charging.

The Hilton chargers are (were?) free and the old BetterPlace models the last time I went in October. Did they change them out to the new OpConnect? The Hawaii Energy site still shows them as free. Maybe you need to go get the special OpConnect card from the front desk like before if you want free charging.

The machines are OpConnect now. They have a sign that says to got to the desk for the card but I already have an OpConnect card needed to start the charger. I logged into my account and it shows the same one minute usage as the email I got. My OpConnect card is not associated with any credit card so even though it says $2 per hour I guess it is free until it isn't.

Good to know. Glad they finally switched those out. I hope the Sheraton Waikiki is next on the list. Getting the fob from the front desk is so inconvenient unless you plan to park for an hour or more.

Speaking of SW, if the valets ever tell you they'll go turn it on for you, accompany them. The last time I parked there, I plugged it in and went down to ask them for the fob to turn it on. The valet said he would do it, but never did....

I decided to try the op connect chargers at Town Center at Mililani tonight since it was a rare occasion when both stalls weren't leaf'd. I raised my car up to make sure I cleared the parking curb and could pull in as far as I could into the tiny stall. I pulled the cord and started walking to the back of my car but stopped about 6 inches short of the chargeport! Anyone else run into this issue where you'd have to back in to charge?

I decided to try the op connect chargers at Town Center at Mililani tonight since it was a rare occasion when both stalls weren't leaf'd. I raised my car up to make sure I cleared the parking curb and could pull in as far as I could into the tiny stall. I pulled the cord and started walking to the back of my car but stopped about 6 inches short of the chargeport! Anyone else run into this issue where you'd have to back in to charge?
I had to back into the #2 (Volta) Stall at Kahala.

I'm always backing into the Kahala stalls, provided they're not Leaf'd, which sucks because it's an angled stall and complicates the parking process. I also back into the Ward warehouse charger by menchies, just because it's easier to get out after.

Just a quick update - Sheraton Waikiki is still on the old BP chargers as of Christmas Eve. I was hoping Santa would come early and deliver us updated OpConnect chargers so I could charge there without the hassle of dealing with the valet people. They're always so busy that's its useless to try and ask them to go turn it on for you.