Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
.../ He also said afterwards that he only got 31(UK) MPG over the whole trip. It's hardly stellar fuel economy. /...
Still – Is there a comparable car out there that can beat those numbers?

And my guess is the BBC did their absolute worst to absolutely lead foot that i8 to get that figure. What kind of (UK)MPG figures would the second most energy efficient comparable car get in those circumstances?

If that charging station wasn't down for example, what would that have done for that (UK)MPG figure?

So why didn't he say so then? In the broadcast he pretends something else – whatever it is...

When showing off the i8 phone app, that app clearly tells him "CHARGING ERROR" – albeit in a rather tiny font. But it is RED and in CAPITALS...

View attachment 72382

Then he pretends to just have found out that it hadn't worked when he returns to the i8 to unplug it.

That photo is great. Shows the i8 barely has a 10 mile electric range if it's fully charged. It's just a pathetic excuse to call it a hybrid. The reality is that's it's really just an extremely expensive ICE vehicle.

That was a glowing review by top gears standards. Especially since he had a choice of which car to go back in and picked the i8. That to me was the biggest win of the segment. Sure he then came back and talked trash in the studio but they do that with a lot of cars and such. All in all I wouldn't hate on the episode too much. Was glad they reviewed it at all.

That photo is great. Shows the i8 barely has a 10 mile electric range if it's fully charged. It's just a pathetic excuse to call it a hybrid. The reality is that's it's really just an extremely expensive ICE vehicle.

I got 37km at 100%. The charging status does not drop below 10%.

My i8 has 6000km and I have done more than 30% only electric. It's NOT an ICE. It is a very real hybrid and the concept of a strong ICE + small battery/electric drive does make more sense than you think.

The i8 does look great. Very few people would disagree with that. If you could design a 5 passenger sedan to look like that then sure. They are two very different cars going after different buyers.

I finally got to see one in person at NAIAS this year. Up until now I thought the car looked great in pictures, however in person there are just too many areas on the car that are just plain ugly.

I got 37km at 100%. The charging status does not drop below 10%.

My i8 has 6000km and I have done more than 30% only electric. It's NOT an ICE. It is a very real hybrid and the concept of a strong ICE + small battery/electric drive does make more sense than you think.
With 6Mm under your belt...

1. What have you learned/discovered and/or what surprised you versus when you originally bought the vehicle?
2. What (within reason) 3 things do you think they should improve in the 2017 version?

With 6Mm under your belt...

1. What have you learned/discovered and/or what surprised you versus when you originally bought the vehicle?
2. What (within reason) 3 things do you think they should improve in the 2017 version?

1. The performance is better than I expected. It is a very fast, active, well engineered car.
2. Just give it conventional doors. These gullwings are nice to look at but horrible to use in tight parking lots.

Good for them. Considering how much money BMW has spent developing the i3 and i8, ~7300 isn't indicative of anything. BMW has so many distribution channels, it would be a terrible sign if they couldn't move 7300 of any vehicle. This is not a sign of demand.

BMW Is Paying $820 Million To End Bickering With Chinese Dealers - Business Insider

My last 2 cars were from BMW. I was seriously considering the I8 vs. Tesla. Then I was told by my dealer in September 2014 that all of 2015 US allocation is already sold out. Tesla became the sole contender. I guess others did that too, and the message got to BMW.

The i8 is fundamentally different from the Model S, and is for a different type of customer. Also, by most measures, the Model S is superior to the i8.

Also, BMW spent $3-5 billion developing the i8, not including marketing costs. I think I remember someone saying the number was closer to $6 billion.

Imagine what Tesla could build if it had $6 billion to spend developing a new vehicle platform.

BMW Plots Sustainable Supercar With the i8 Project - WSJ

China Dealers Ask BMW to Hit Brakes on Sales Targets - WSJ

Last edited:
Mexico likes to crash expensive EVs first:

BMW i8 Flips During Test Drive Crash in Mexico, Doors Open Tightly | Automotive News

bmw-i8-flips-during-test-drive-crash-in-mexico-doors-open-tightly-97356-71.jpg

The BMW i8 is obviously difficult to get out of if you flip it.

Last edited: