Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

BMW i3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless you are driving a $60k Model S I don't think its fair to quote the i3 at $40k. You can not get out of the dealership for less than $43k (before taxes), assuming they ever have a bare no-option car. OTOH if you really want the cheapest Model S then Tesla seems happy to build it for you.
If one were to compare: For a US citizen, how long would it take Tesla to build a bare bones 60 kWh Model S, and how long would it take for BMW to build a bare bones 'custom-ordered' i3 and ship it to the dealership in the US?

Personally I’m firmly in the Tesla camp. Tesla is the ones driving this shift to electrification and a more sustainable form of personal transport. So if that is something one wants to support, then it seems to me that money is better spent with Tesla. I guess I trust that Tesla will use every dime they earn to try and get the gen3 on the roads as soon as possible.

Last edited:
BMW Suffers Big Setback Against Tesla in California

Just saw this article: BMW Suffers Big Setback Against Tesla in California - TheStreet

Basically:
  • you're not going to get the white sticker. the i3 with range-extender won't be eligible for the California white sticker, period.
  • you're not going to get the $2,500 government rebate.
  • first deliveries to start in May and by the time you get your i3 with range-extender in California, the 40,000 green stickers may have already run out, and so you won't get the green sticker either.

If one were to compare: For a US citizen, how long would it take Tesla to build a bare bones 60 kWh Model S, and how long would it take for BMW to build a bare bones 'custom-ordered' i3 and ship it to the dealership in the US?

Personally I’m firmly in the Tesla camp. Tesla is the ones driving this shift to electrification and a more sustainable form of personal transport. So if that is something one wants to support, then it seems to me that money is better spent with Tesla. I guess I trust that Tesla will use every dime they earn to try and get the gen3 on the roads as soon as possible.

I don't know about the i3, but I've ordered a number of BMWs here in the US, and the delivery times are roughly similar. It took a LOT less time in transit for the Tesla (only a couple of days), but the delay before production started was a lot longer for the Tesla than for the BMWs I've ordered. Which all makes sense, when you think about it.

If the i3 is a hot seller and dealers have trouble getting allocations to fill, the wait times for the i3 might be a lot longer than for the typical BMW.

Just saw this article: BMW Suffers Big Setback Against Tesla in California - TheStreet

Basically:
  • you're not going to get the white sticker. the i3 with range-extender won't be eligible for the California white sticker, period.
  • first deliveries to start in May and by the time you get your i3 with range-extender in California, the 40,000 green stickers may have already run out, and so you won't get the green sticker either.

Ouch.

Didn't realize that the i3 extender version was spec'd in an attempt to qualify for the white sticker.

"Unlike a Chevrolet Volt or equivalent, this new class would have a tiny engine (650cc, 35 HP two-cylinder in BMW's case) with a tiny gasoline tank (2.4 gallon) and the gasoline engine could only be used to keep the battery from going below the 5% level, not to charge it any higher than that. Furthermore, it could not have a range longer than the battery-powered range, and under no circumstances longer than 100 miles."

What a misstep.

Ouch.

Didn't realize that the i3 extender version was spec'd in an attempt to qualify for the white sticker.

"Unlike a Chevrolet Volt or equivalent, this new class would have a tiny engine (650cc, 35 HP two-cylinder in BMW's case) with a tiny gasoline tank (2.4 gallon) and the gasoline engine could only be used to keep the battery from going below the 5% level, not to charge it any higher than that. Furthermore, it could not have a range longer than the battery-powered range, and under no circumstances longer than 100 miles."

What a misstep.

well the reason it doesn't qualify for the white decal anymore is because CA reclassified the i3 from an federal inherently low–emission vehicle (ILEV)' (those do qualify for the white Clean Air Vehicle decal) to a 'plug-in hybrid' which obviously doesn't qualify for the white CAV decal. sucks big time for BMW.

Configurator is live for USA: http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/vehicles/2014/bmwi/default.aspx

You can get it in any color if that color is a shade of silver or orange.

Here is a fully configured model.
bmwi3 cost.PNG

Basically:
That bullet point appears to be incorrect per UPDATEs here: http://insideevs.com/bmw-i3-rex-reportedly-doesnt-qualify-for-white-hov-sticker-in-california/
UPDATE: Courtesy of our friends over at BMW Blog, we now have an official statement on the matter from BMW:
It also bears mention that the i3 with Range Extender qualifies for the full CA incentive amount of $2,500 – so the statement in the original article that the owners will not receive CA state incentive money is also wrong.

I had the pleasure of test driving the i3 twice at CES and here are a few thoughts:

1. The car looks like the future as it drives by but when standing still it definitely isn't the prettiest thing around! It is also far smaller than I thought.
2. I sat in both a leather premium leather interior and the cheaper interior with the Sensatec seats and wool + recycled materials. To me, the cheaper option is miles better with the materials being lovely to touch and the overall interior looks far prettier and more modern. If I bought the i3 today, I'd go the non-leather option.
3. Driving the car is a truly excellent experience. It handles well, feels extremely light and accelerates snappily once moving. It was surprisingly slow off-the-line, especially in comparison to the Model S which can dump all its torque at once. One foot drive was on-par if not better than the Model S. Zero creaks.
4. Storage was very European. Plenty of nooks and crannies to store things, loads of leg and head room and very easy access to the back seats for such a small car.
5. Negatives: four seats, looks, lack of electric-only range and dated infotainment in comparison to the Model S.

As it stands today, I believe the Model S is the perfect long-distance cruiser and the i3 is the perfect city car.

what's the point? something that small with high seating should be exceptionally easy to park. I guess may be different in large EU cities, but out here in SF the minis / smarts / 500s pretty much have no issues - especially since all the spots are marked for full sized cars

In Quebec City a couple of years ago I watched someone parallel parking and it was a definite "HTF? WTF?!" experience. Not all cities have large parking spots.

It'd be great if every vehicle had good self-park. I'm sure it would cut down on a lot of stupid costs and bump-and-run. It would also be extremely useful for wireless charging, where speed and efficiency depends on parking accuracy.

I wonder if standard BMWs have a 1-2 toggle for number of parking spaces to take?

- - - Updated - - -

3. Driving the car is a truly excellent experience. It handles well, feels extremely light and accelerates snappily once moving. It was surprisingly slow off-the-line, especially in comparison to the Model S which can dump all its torque at once. One foot drive was on-par if not better than the Model S. Zero creaks.

Was that drive with or without the REx?

I too drove one at CES. I would agree with heosat's assessment. I would add that there is (currently) no way to enable creep on the i3. I enjoy using creep in my Model S as it makes driving in stop-and-go traffic much smoother. I thought the button layout on the center stack and steering wheel was very European and confusing. Trying to figure out how to just change the radio station took effort and use of the bit iDrive knob. A larger friend of mine (6'2") thought the i3 was much easier to get in and out of than my Model S. I actually thought the seats were more comfortable than my Model S. Overall, it is a nice car and drives well but I'm not sure it justifies the price premium over a similar performance and sized Nissan Leaf.