Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

BMW i3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not fair for the Verge to compare DC fast charging on the i3 to 30 A J1772 public charging on the Tesla S.

Tesla has more DC superchargers than BMW, and Tesla's are faster. And Free. :smile:

GSP

The $40k i3 starts at $41,350 + $925 destination fee = $42,275

And the $100k Tesla starts at $69,900 + $1170 destination and regulatory doc fee = $71,070
The price difference is a valid argument on its own, but its not a valid justification to be misleading with charge rates.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152130571788903&set=gm.586094218131110&type=1&theater In related news, someone posted their lease terms on the I3 facebook page. I've never tried to read one of these before, but I'm assuming that's $930.42 a month plus an additional $1899.48 drive off for 12,000 miles 3 years. Average that out to $983.18 a month and I just don't see a compelling reason to lease it vs buying a 60kwh MS.

The price difference is a valid argument on its own, but its not a valid justification to be misleading with charge rates.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152130571788903&set=gm.586094218131110&type=1&theater In related news, someone posted their lease terms on the I3 facebook page. I've never tried to read one of these before, but I'm assuming that's $930.42 a month plus an additional $1899.48 drive off for 12,000 miles 3 years. Average that out to $983.18 a month and I just don't see a compelling reason to lease it vs buying a 60kwh MS.

I thought the same thing. $930/mo. to lease this car? Wow.

41% residual. That's worse than horrible. and they keep the $7500 rebate since it's a lease too.

They apply 66% of the rebate to the deal, not all $7,500 that a purchaser is eligible for. I believe the 66% IS a pass through of what BMW Finance actually gets as a Leasing company. If you do their Owner Flex or whatever they call it, then it's similar to Tesla Finance deal with a guaranteed price after 3 years.

They apply 66% of the rebate to the deal, not all $7,500 that a purchaser is eligible for. I believe the 66% IS a pass through of what BMW Finance actually gets as a Leasing company. If you do their Owner Flex or whatever they call it, then it's similar to Tesla Finance deal with a guaranteed price after 3 years.

BMW is getting a lot of traction with that BS. I guess virtually every other EV lease in the USA must be losing tons of money when they pass through the entire $7500. Heck, even Toyota tried the BMW snow job, but since July, has been passing through the entire credit they receive.

Boston Area - see the I3

I got this message from the Boston chapter of the BMW club... (I get their announcements because I sometimes go to their Mount Tremblant lapping days.)

BMW's new Electric I3 BMW is coming to BMW of Shrewsbury Wagner for this Saturday Feb. 8th only from 9AM-4PM, They are not offering Test Drives, but you can sit in the car and take a good look. Is this the future for you?

I got this message from the Boston chapter of the BMW club... (I get their announcements because I sometimes go to their Mount Tremblant lapping days.)

It's too bad that you won't be able to actually do a test drive at the Boston event. I wonder how many i3's BMW has on tour. Autohaus BMW here in the STL area is hosting a similar event on the same day. I was able to sign up for a test drive (though I was puzzled when they called to confirm my registration on whether or not I actually wanted to drive the car). I know of at least 3 local Model S owners that will be there that day to check out the i3.

Still no published spec's for cargo space or interior room: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Cont...ehicles/2014/i3/BMWi3/Features_and_Specs.aspx

When is this car going to be finalized?
I don't believe that the final US spec car has been produced for certification yet. Virtually every large market has a different way of calculating cargo space.

- - - Updated - - -

Test drives tomorrow in Cincinnati as well.
I will post a list of ride & drive events from our Facebook group below.

Mar 22: BMW of Tenafly NJ

Feb 15-16 -- Sonnen BMW, San Rafael CA

Feb 8th -- Autohaus BMW St. Louis MO

Feb 8th -- Wagner BMW, Shrewsbury, MA, display only (with inside access), NO test drives

Feb 7-8 -- Sterling BMW, Newport Beach, CA

Feb 5th/6th -- Mountain View CA / BMW Mtn View

The ActiveE Field Trial: The Final Chapter
bmwi3mnl.gif

After the introduction of BMW i3 will the majority of ActiveE Electronauts stay or leave the brand?

activeepresidio.jpg

2013 German i3 sales; 552 commercial sales 7 private retail sales.

http://insideevs.com/bmw-sells-only-7-i3s-to-private-buyers-in-germany-in-2013/

Yes, I helped Eric Loveday with the translation of the source document. Those numbers don't look very encouraging. One explanation is that BMW vehicles are often taken out on a lease by businesses, both small and large. That would be then classified as a commercial registration. We have independently noticed that there was only one vehicle with comparable numbers, the i-MiEV, and Eric noted that it's been notorious as the 'fleet special' in Europe. That said, BMW had stated that their production ramp has been slow, and most of the vehicles produced in 2013 were demonstrators. They shipped about hundred of them to the US alone.

The $40k i3 starts at $41,350 + $925 destination fee = $42,275
Side note, I just stumbled across a post on the BMW i3 Facebook group about this and this post from MNL (at My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - Official BMW i3 thread)
Boomer23 said:
Oh, by the way, in another disappointment to hopeful early i3 buyers, if there are any such buyers left after the lease cost disappointments, BMW plans to only import fully loaded versions for the first 3 months or so. BMW calls this a "launch edition" and I've heard that they do this often with new models.

So if you aren't one of the ActiveE "Electronauts" (who are able to choose their option levels and will get the first US cars), and you want one of the first cars here, you'll be forced to take a fully loaded model, with only option of the paint color and the choice of adding the sport wheels. In CA, if you had the idea to get one of the early REx models and get one of the few remaining green carpool stickers before they run out (and maybe flip the car when the HOV panic starts), you'll need to buy a $56K car.
If you don't want the REx engine, during the 1st 3 months, you'll be forced to take a $50,875 car! What a shame!

There are more details about this from Electronaut #1: The Electric BMW i3: US i3 Orders Limited to Special "Launch Edition" Package For First Three Months.

Crazy! It's sorta good for the Electronauts but boy, I suspect some non-Electronauts semi-interested in the i3 will just turn their back on BMW and get something else.