Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW folks comments on Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have owned a Porsche 911 Turbo and a BMW 550i, and I loved both of them for different reasons. I pick up my new MSP from the dealer on the 24th, and I will be thrilled if the MSP manages to combine the acceleration of the 911 Turbo with the comfort and practicality of the 550i. I purchased the 550i used, and overall, I think it may have been the best car I ever owned.

I must admit to being a bit apprehensive about the purchase of my MSP… I am hopeful that it will meet my expectations.

Joe

I have owned a Porsche 911 Turbo and a BMW 550i, and I loved both of them for different reasons. I pick up my new MSP from the dealer on the 24th, and I will be thrilled if the MSP manages to combine the acceleration of the 911 Turbo with the comfort and practicality of the 550i. I purchased the 550i used, and overall, I think it may have been the best car I ever owned.

I must admit to being a bit apprehensive about the purchase of my MSP… I am hopeful that it will meet my expectations.

Joe
acceleration
Check
Check, well this one's been debated.
practicality
Check

Congrats and enjoy.

Reactions: Jayskywalker21

Joe
You’ll probably end up with a more complex opinion than just whether it’s better or not.

There are some aspects of my Y that are not as good as the 10 year old Golf GTI (which cost half as much) that I replaced with it, but there are other things that are so, so much better. I wouldn’t go back, but that doesn’t mean I don’t still miss some aspects of my mk7.

I leased the BMW X7 (the black one on the right) to replace my pre-frefrehed 2020 model X because I wanted a car with more luxury interior, smoother ride quality, better looking exterior, better fit and finish etc. After driving the X7 for a few months, I regretted my decision for switching to the X7. The X7 has slower acceleration even though it has a V8 engine. There are too many physical buttons that I rarely use. The model X's autopilot is much better the the X7's ACC (adaptive cruise control). I prefer the Tesla's navigation map over the BMW's native navigation system. The Bmw has android carplay but I just don't like it.

Last month, I bought the new refreshed 2023 Model X (the Ultra Red one on the left) because of the huge price cut. This model X will soon replace the BMW X7 (its lease will expire in a couple of months). The new model X is much quieter and has much smooth air suspension.......smoother than my model S (in the middle). The smoothness is not at the level of the X7 but it's very close. I wrapped the new model X myself with the DYI kit from Drive Protected because Tesla's paint is very weak and I plan to keep this car for a long time.

There are 3 drivers in our house. So we will need another car after we return the leased X7 to BMW. Our next car will most likely be another model S. We are going to go full electric.
20230930_232508.jpg

People thought am trolling them when I posted this thread the first time, and some of them even accused me of being a troll and having fun.

Yes, I still love everything in my S-class, but because I had genuine intentions when I first posted my thread to learn and ask questions, I am now in my new-to-me Model S that I love so much, replacing my one of a kind fully loaded Mercedes S-class. Now, my wife wants me to replace our other BMW for a Telsa : )

I actually DID click on the Bimmerpost link as I still have an account there. I’ve owned three BMWs - my favorite being a ‘91 E34 M5 stroker. The other two were more “garden variety“ 335i and 328i. I didn’t see BMW as luxury either nor do I see that for Tesla. And that’s ok. I bought a Tesla because in my opinion, they have the best overall package and that’s what I wanted for my first EV. It’s the whole ecosystem as @father_of_6 said above. To me, this is the real value vs a subjective, emotional feeling of “luxury”.

I generally can't take someone's opinion seriously when they don't have the decency to use a turn signal or park within the lines.
I’ve never not used a signal in my BMW.

However I have not used it on accident many times in my Tesla because the stalk logic/programming is stupid. Sometimes it doesn’t register. Sometimes it auto cancels before I wanted it to. Sometime it doesn’t auto cancel. The turn signal sound is either very loud in normal mode or very very faint in Joe Mode. Combined with the fact the indicator is in the center screen out of your line of sight so it’s hard to tell at a glance if your turn signal is on or off, especially when making quick successive maneuvers.

I leased the BMW X7 (the black one on the right) to replace my pre-frefrehed 2020 model X because I wanted a car with more luxury interior, smoother ride quality, better looking exterior, better fit and finish etc. After driving the X7 for a few months, I regretted my decision for switching to the X7. The X7 has slower acceleration even though it has a V8 engine. There are too many physical buttons that I rarely use. The model X's autopilot is much better the the X7's ACC (adaptive cruise control). I prefer the Tesla's navigation map over the BMW's native navigation system. The Bmw has android carplay but I just don't like it.

Last month, I bought the new refreshed 2023 Model X (the Ultra Red one on the left) because of the huge price cut. This model X will soon replace the BMW X7 (its lease will expire in a couple of months). The new model X is much quieter and has much smooth air suspension.......smoother than my model S (in the middle). The smoothness is not at the level of the X7 but it's very close. I wrapped the new model X myself with the DYI kit from Drive Protected because Tesla's paint is very weak and I plan to keep this car for a long time.

There are 3 drivers in our house. So we will need another car after we return the leased X7 to BMW. Our next car will most likely be another model S. We are going to go full electric.
View attachment 989859
Is the X a Plaid or a LR? Also How do you like the X vs the S? Is it just as nimble? Is there a huge difference? Do you like the X more overall because of the size and certain features? Really curious because I'm looking to upgrade my current P100D MS and don't know if i want the X or S

S is more nimble, lower to the ground and more sporty. However the X is still fast, handles well and much easier to get in and out of.

Sitting higher in the X gives you the Command Position which many enjoy. Better visibility and better seating comfort. Legs go down, instead of out.

Both are great cars, but with different capabilities.

Most think the S looks better.

However I have not used it on accident many times in my Tesla because the stalk logic/programming is stupid. Sometimes it doesn’t register. Sometimes it auto cancels before I wanted it to. Sometime it doesn’t auto cancel. The turn signal sound is either very loud in normal mode or very very faint in Joe Mode. Combined with the fact the indicator is in the center screen out of your line of sight so it’s hard to tell at a glance if your turn signal is on or off, especially when making quick successive maneuvers.

This is the Model S forum. Turn signal indicators on the S/X have always been on the instrument cluster, directly in front of the driver.

Bruce.

Reactions: Yelobird

Turn signal modes on the Yoke on my Model S are the best I have used. So, intuitive and also so awesome how they don’t turn off until I change lanes. Seamless. Wish my wife’s BMW was that way.

Reactions: Jayskywalker21
Is the X a Plaid or a LR? Also How do you like the X vs the S? Is it just as nimble? Is there a huge difference? Do you like the X more overall because of the size and certain features? Really curious because I'm looking to upgrade my current P100D MS and don't know if i want the X or S
It's a long range model because the Plaid only has 6 seat config (I want 7) and having a slightly longer range is more of priority for me (I chose the standard 20" wheels for this reason). The X is better than the S in almost all the categories: better/smoother ride quality, larger cargo space, more seats for the passengers, easier exit and entry. I love the falcon wing doors.....it eliminates the worry of hitting the adjacent cars in tight parking lot. I know many X owners here don't like how the automatic front doors don't open all the way like the pre-refreshed X but this is not an issue for me....I still love them more than the regular non-automatic doors. I can open/close all the X's doors without having to get out of the car.

Get the S if you care more about the exterior design (IMO, it's a much better looking car than the X), speed, and longer range. On a separate topic, I wonder if you have the problem with the excessive inner tire wear on the rear 21 inch tires of your P100d MS. I used to have this uneven wear problem on my Model S and had to change the rear tires every 5k miles. I downgraded to 19 inch wheels/tires and the inner tire wear problem went away. Now, the 19 inch tires on my current MS last more than 20k miles.

Last edited:
It's a long range model because the Plaid only has 6 seat config (I want 7) and having a slightly longer range is more of priority for me (I chose the standard 20" wheels for this reason). The X is better than the S in almost all the categories: better/smoother ride quality, larger cargo space, more seats for the passengers, easier exit and entry. I love the falcon wing doors.....it eliminates the worry of hitting the adjacent cars in tight parking lot. I know many X owners here don't like how the automatic front doors don't open all the way like the pre-refreshed X but this is not an issue for me....I still love them more than the regular non-automatic doors. I can open/close all the X's doors without having to get out of the car.

Get the S if you care more about the exterior design (IMO, it's a much better looking car than the X), speed, and longer range. On a separate topic, I wonder if you have the problem with the excessive inner tire wear on the rear 21 inch tires of your P100d MS. I used to have this uneven wear problem on my Model S and had to change the rear tires every 5k miles. I downgraded to 19 inch wheels/tires and the inner tire wear problem went away. Now, the 19 inch tires on my current MS last more than 20k miles.
I have 19s actually and I've had the car since march give or take. I haven't had any issues so far in regards to the tires and uneven wear. To your point of the X that sounds amazing I do love everything the X has to offer but probably would want the plaid. Looks wise I lowkey want the model S however I don't think it's that far off IMO as far as looks. The X looks pretty good and just sitting up higher is really appealing. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the X has more speakers inside as well offering a better sound system? Heard both are amazing regardless.

I have 19s actually and I've had the car since march give or take. I haven't had any issues so far in regards to the tires and uneven wear. To your point of the X that sounds amazing I do love everything the X has to offer but probably would want the plaid. Looks wise I lowkey want the model S however I don't think it's that far off IMO as far as looks. The X looks pretty good and just sitting up higher is really appealing. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the X has more speakers inside as well offering a better sound system? Heard both are amazing regardless.
I honestly don't know the total number of speakers the car has. But yeah, the sound system on the X is amazing. One cool thing about the new refreshed X (and I guess on the new S as well) is you can watch 2 different Youtube contents on 2 different screens. If you have Youtube TV subscription, you can watch live TV channels via the Youtube app. I pay for the NFL Sunday ticket subscription. My son can watch 1 live football game on the rear screen and I can watch a different live football game on the front screen. However, the sound can only be heard from one screen at a time....and you can toggle the sound for either the front or the rear screen. When the car is moving, only the youtube on rear screen can be played and the only the rear speakers can be heard......the front speakers are muted.

Last edited: