Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW folks comments on Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla did pioneer OTA updates which we are all thankful for, but BMW and Ford for example have been doing OTA updates pretty well for their latest cars. Things have changed a lot with other automakers since even just a couple years ago.

Tesla was also the first to implement customer self initiated SWaP (software as product) unlocks where the hardware exists but you just have to pay for it to be software unlocked. EAP/FSD, acceleration boost, rear heated seats on some Model 3, even battery range upgrades on some older Model S and Model 3 SR. So don’t blame BMW for feature subscriptions/upgrades when the heated seat subscription does not exist outside of Korea, and even there you can pay for a one time permanent unlock just like with Tesla instead of a subscription.
Agreed.... Never seen any subscription model on any BMW. I still think it is an advantage that as a consumer I can buy and built the same car for much cheaper if I do not need the hardware where factory can pass to me those savings from not adding that hardware on it. Today, one can buy a 2023 X7 for 75K, but same exact chassis can be built to cost 130K. What are the main differences? Hardware equipment that consumers can chose to not pay for instead of factory digesting it's cost and passing it as a must-have for the consumer. It is all about economy of scale and I understand Elon is trying to keep manufacturing simple but that also comes as a cost to the end user that does not need all the hardware with the locked features that he may never use. Still paid for the hardware that he would never used.

Can anyone share a photo of how do these wheels look like if the wheel cover is removed? Car is 2021 refresh design. The car is a few hours away from me and am trying to negotiate a couple of things before I make a trip for a test drive. They are scratched but I don't see myself needing the covers if the actual wheels look better without (i know I might lose a few miles of range). Wish it had the bigger wheels but it does not.

1679331908367.png

I asked the question to Model X users, but am also curious to know what Model S users think about CyberTruck.

Question 1: How many of you here will or may transition to the CyberTruck when it's released?
Question 2: What are your expectations for the true final for the 2-3 different motor levels?

Last edited:
Yh that depends on the family and their lifestyle. Plus my wife and I do share the rear seat for a good portion of our monthly 8 hrs trip. Comes handy and the rear hot massage seat with recliner watching your favorite football game is something else.
Not to mention that the front seats, specially the passenger seat, still get same exact "refinement".

If you really like massage, you'll need to get a chinese car:

In my Mbenz, I think it has the best "driver controllability" offering in the industry
Your picture reminds me how much I do not miss my GLS. What you consider the best driver controllability looks dated and gaudy to me. I prefer my scroll wheels and voice commands. I would rather have to say something twice than interact with that hot mess of a steering wheel. But hey, to each their own.

Admitting that I have only read the first page or 2, not all 10 pages, but I will offer these comments.
First, I owned Mercedes cars for more than 40 years before I bought my Tesla, which is at least one person who was familiar with German "luxury" before jumping into Tesla.
Second, I would readily admit that Tesla cars are not as well equipped as "true luxury" cars, especially the German leaders (BMW, MB, Porsche). So what? I do not think the lack of luxury affects my daily use of my Model S much, if at all. If I miss any luxury touches, it might be the touchable surfaces. And in that regard, I do admit to preferring the feel of the real leather in my 2015 Model S to that of the artificial product.
Third, being of a certain age, I do wish my Model S had better comfort for my aging body, and I would agree that many other brands offer better comfort. Not sure how that relates to luxury -- but Tesla seems to be slowly improving in that arena.
I am in the market for a new car, and will look at EVs from Mercedes and others. But what I have seen so far is that Tesla has a strong advantage over other brands as EVs. The other brands might build better cars, but not yet better EVs. So what I need to decide is how much weight do I place on the EV-ness (like charging infrastructure) vs good comfort and convenience as a car.

Admitting that I have only read the first page or 2, not all 10 pages, but I will offer these comments.
First, I owned Mercedes cars for more than 40 years before I bought my Tesla, which is at least one person who was familiar with German "luxury" before jumping into Tesla.
Second, I would readily admit that Tesla cars are not as well equipped as "true luxury" cars, especially the German leaders (BMW, MB, Porsche). So what? I do not think the lack of luxury affects my daily use of my Model S much, if at all. If I miss any luxury touches, it might be the touchable surfaces. And in that regard, I do admit to preferring the feel of the real leather in my 2015 Model S to that of the artificial product.
Third, being of a certain age, I do wish my Model S had better comfort for my aging body, and I would agree that many other brands offer better comfort. Not sure how that relates to luxury -- but Tesla seems to be slowly improving in that arena.
I am in the market for a new car, and will look at EVs from Mercedes and others. But what I have seen so far is that Tesla has a strong advantage over other brands as EVs. The other brands might build better cars, but not yet better EVs. So what I need to decide is how much weight do I place on the EV-ness (like charging infrastructure) vs good comfort and convenience as a car.

Thanks for the comment. You read my mind, and that's exactly same reason I am considering the Tesla as a replacement for our in-town trips only, but certainly not a replacement for my long-trip highway vehicle.
The comfort aspects and luxury touches that you referred to are things I do not want to miss at all in any of my long trips. The seats comfort is one of them 100%, where Tesla seems a bit behind. Not only for some age groups as you said, but really for all age groups when it gets to 6+ hours trips.

Also, for highway trips, as you indicated - I need the "better car" and not necessarily, the better EV only. I put zero weight on EV-ness for highway trips because I get way more disadvantages than advantages on that aspect when compared to all other "Vehicles" for comfort, luxury and cabin experience. For in-town trips/kids/school/shopping/parks/short daily stuff, that is a different story as this is where I see the value of Tesla as an EV option for my use.

Last edited:
I’m pointing out factual inaccuracies posed by other people eg saying the control panel is unusable without looking at it thereby making it unsafe to use, when that is false.

That has nothing to do with preference.
To some users, that interface will be unsuitable-which is why I mentioned preference. The perceived complexity of the controls you again, clearly have a preference for which is absolutely fine here-can by definition lead to someone feeling as if that method is ‘unsafe’ for their usage.

I’m not certain why that would be a trigger here, unless the world should all just drive BMW EVs in your opinion-which again is fine. I stand by my statement that diversity in a consumer product space is important.

Most luxury cars often feel like they are "trying too hard" and usually come across as tacky. It's like comparing a croc skin Vertu to an iPhone.
hmmm am not sure that is true though. Test driving the i4 vs the model 3 made me re-think my approach about how much behind Tesla interiors and options/packages are. I get the drive experience stuff, but i4 is also electric and lane keep assist is more than enough for me. The insulation and options around is the thing that caught me off guard when I compared what is around me in setting in the i4 vs Model 3. Also am not sure who is trying hard here.... Tesla has just reduced it's prices for maybe the 3rd?4th? or whatever time in the past few months now due to lower demand. I appreciate the price reduction as a potential buyer, but it also tells something that the thing was not selling well at that price and was over-prices otherwise they would have kept the high prices. I said that before, it would be silly to price the Model S with zero luxury options at the same price that EQS or i7 or now even the coming i5 later this year is selling for for instance regardless of what we all think about charging stations or so. Competition is coming at 100MPH. This year is soooo different than just 2 years ago.

Tesla has just reduced it's prices for maybe the 3rd?4th? or whatever time in the past few months now due to lower demand.
This seems a slanted analysis. The second factor in a supply/demand equation is supply and Tesla have more and more production coming online the whole time.

The prices were previously set high because there was sufficient demand at that price point to sell everything they were making. Now they’re making more they lower prices to appeal to the next band of customers down. They’re still making vastly more margin than their competitors, why wouldn’t they?

What are their competitors going to fund their own EV production expansion with if Tesla keep dropping prices and preventing them generating any revenue?

Reactions: DBV1 and zoomer0056
hmmm am not sure that is true though. Test driving the i4 vs the model 3 made me re-think my approach about how much behind Tesla interiors and options/packages are. I get the drive experience stuff, but i4 is also electric and lane keep assist is more than enough for me. The insulation and options around is the thing that caught me off guard when I compared what is around me in setting in the i4 vs Model 3. Also am not sure who is trying hard here.... Tesla has just reduced it's prices for maybe the 3rd?4th? or whatever time in the past few months now due to lower demand. I appreciate the price reduction as a potential buyer, but it also tells something that the thing was not selling well at that price and was over-prices otherwise they would have kept the high prices. I said that before, it would be silly to price the Model S with zero luxury options at the same price that EQS or i7 or now even the coming i5 later this year is selling for for instance regardless of what we all think about charging stations or so. Competition is coming at 100MPH. This year is soooo different than just 2 years ago.
I am sure that what @memo=[] is true and I've owned 8 BMWs and still own two of them. My most modern one is a recent 5 series and it has all the knobs, gauges, dials, screens, leather and wood that anyone could ever want. But building a car that way adds cost. In the long run, BMW will build cars in the same way that Tesla does... or they won't be building cars at all. The interiors will be simpler, the wiring harness less complex and superfluous stuff like leather and wood will be something one sees only on BAT.

While I appreciate your perspective on the i4 and m3, I must admit that my experience with the m3p is rather limited, and I have not had the opportunity to drive an i4. However, I did try the EQS in February 2022, and my experience with the EQS left me with a sense of bewilderment. The excessive screens and tasteless interface of mbux felt like a gaudy display straight out of Las Vegas, leaving me questioning the true value of such ostentatious luxury.

The pricing strategy employed by the dealership for the EQS was equally perplexing, with an initial ask of $20k above MSRP, eventually settling at a staggering $160k before tax at the time. Currently, a similarly optioned EQS is going for $115k.

In a landscape where new EV models constantly emerge, it's high time we challenge traditional notions of luxury that rely solely on superficial features like leather seats, crystal gear knobs, and big screens. It's a captivating moment in the automotive industry, where critical thinking and astute evaluation are essential in making informed choices that align with our values and aspirations.

Reactions: zoomer0056
In a landscape where new EV models constantly emerge, it's high time we challenge traditional notions of luxury that rely solely on superficial features like leather seats, crystal gear knobs, and big screens. It's a captivating moment in the automotive industry, where critical thinking and astute evaluation are essential in making informed choices that align with our values and aspirations.
All that stuff is bolted on to ICE vehicles precisely because the technology is fully matured. There’s no way for manufacturers to differentiate themselves using things that actually matter because they’re all on a par.

Most of the Tesla hostages (people who own one despite hating it) are so because they’re trapped in a conflict between wanting their trinkets while being unable to deny that the Teslas are better than the other EVs in the ways that actually matter.

hmmm am not sure that is true though. Test driving the i4 vs the model 3 made me re-think my approach about how much behind Tesla interiors and options/packages are. I get the drive experience stuff, but i4 is also electric and lane keep assist is more than enough for me. The insulation and options around is the thing that caught me off guard when I compared what is around me in setting in the i4 vs Model 3. Also am not sure who is trying hard here.... Tesla has just reduced its prices for maybe the 3rd?4th? or whatever time in the past few months now due to lower demand. I appreciate the price reduction as a potential buyer, but it also tells something that the thing was not selling well at that price and was over-prices otherwise they would have kept the high prices. I said that before, it would be silly to price the Model S with zero luxury options at the same price that EQS or i7 or now even the coming i5 later this year is selling for for instance regardless of what we all think about charging stations or so. Competition is coming at 100MPH. This year is soooo different than just 2 years ago.
A few things:

The Model 3 was always, and let me repeat for emphasis, always supposed to be an entry level EV for the masses.

Looking at the BMW product lineup, a EV based on the BMW 3 series ICE chassis isn’t even the same product.

If you build a base i4 and option it like a Model 3 Performance, you are at a $6K difference. Instead of focusing on what a manufacturers price reductions might signal to you, may I ask do you think that’s a substantial price difference? The pricing difference will swell when you add in a Model 3 Long Range.

By the admissions of the ‘champions’ of both brands within this thread, there are distinct advantages to each brand, and Tesla has at the moment a large pricing advantage over BMW, which again hasn’t made any pretensions of becoming a mainstream EV manufacturer. That would be the job of GM or Ford, VW, etc.

The fact that Tesla is ‘at the table’ so to speak is the real eye opening thing here, despite many failed attempts (and billions of dollars spent) on challenger brands/products by other OEMs (Cadillac, Lincoln, Infiniti, Alfa Romeo, Genesis, Chrysler).

At every inflection point in consumer history, the narrative changes. There is an entire generation of people who are entering the workforce and have different POVs than their parents, who some driven an adhere to German automotive products as the default choice. Just as their parents relied on Cadillacs, Lincolns and Oldsmobiles as the household symbol of ‘comfort’.

Things always change in the consumer space. The question is always when, not if. As mentioned there are a generation who watched videos of Model S sedans beating exotic cars in drag races. Teslas are the subject of young peoples aspirational videos, music, and culture, for better or for worse at the moment. Can this change? Absolutely.

But it also can be that Tesla keeps it’s seat at the table, despite the disadvantages from a presentation POV that you and other posters have mentioned, because newer (and some older) consumers prefer the advantages (as noted, not for you but that’s irrelevant in this discussion/30K POV) of Tesla.

Last edited:
hile I appreciate your perspective on the i4 and m3, I must admit that my experience with the m3p is rather limited, and I have not had the opportunity to drive an i4. However, I did try the EQS in February 2022, and my experience with the EQS left me with a sense of bewilderment. The excessive screens and tasteless interface of mbux felt like a gaudy display straight out of Las Vegas, leaving me questioning the true value of such ostentatious luxury.
+1 .. I assume MB hire ex drug-dealers to do the interior design now .. dont know how else to explain the ghastly and pointless bling.

• Funny
Reactions: Dbitter1