Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Blind Spot Detection is disappointing"

Are you happy with rear blind spot detection on your Tesla?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While the AP 1.0 hardware won't ever do blind spot monitoring well I believe the AP 2.0 hardware will do it well.

Where it uses improved ultrasonic sensors (and more of them) along with a rear facing camera on both sides. Now obviously it remains to be seen, but with that combination it's plausible it will be decent.

I would have preferred radar, but it is what it is.

While the AP 1.0 hardware won't ever do blind spot monitoring well I believe the AP 2.0 hardware will do it well.

Where it uses improved ultrasonic sensors (and more of them) along with a rear facing camera on both sides. Now obviously it remains to be seen, but with that combination it's plausible it will be decent.

I would have preferred radar, but it is what it is.
It's only as decent as the way they present the information. Subtle arcs on the bottom of the instrument cluster are hardly a decent way of doing blind spot monitoring.

It's only as decent as the way they present the information. Subtle arcs on the bottom of the instrument cluster are hardly a decent way of doing blind spot monitoring.

I don't think we'll see the arcs anymore. I believe we'll see an actual representation of the car in the IC. That should make for a fairly decent system, but I'd prefer having an indication in the side mirror as well.

Arcs will still be used in cases where it either can't see something or there is no representation for what it sees.

I had a funny/scary moment when I tried to show off the lane change with autopilot. I saw a pickup coming up on my left and the passengers asked if autopilot will still switch lanes. I confidently told them that autopilot, even though it's just an assist, won't just switch lanes if there is a car next to you. I flip on the turn signal and the car started moving into the lane just as the pickup was almost next to me.

Needless to say I immediately jerked back, got flipped off by the pickup driver and felt pretty stupid after making that statement to the passengers in the car. :p Since then, I only rely on my own eyes to lane change, even if autopilot is on and switches lanes for me. lol
On my commute home, 50+ miles on highway, i used AP extensively. I had many such errors occur. Once i was in my own lane and a semi truck came into my lane, I had hope AP would have seen it in the other lane at my 2 O'clock position and slowed down as it entered the lane. As posted above, I also initiated a lane change to the right, and had several cars come up in my blind spot.

• Love
Reactions: Snerruc
For as long as it's human nature to check the mirror, that's where the warning indicator should be....there's a reason why practically every other manufacturer in the world does it that way. I like it that Tesla is different, but in this case it's design over substance. Hopefully on AP2 they'll at least increase the level of alert, and rattle the wheel if you do try to steer into another vehicle.

Really? The rattle is exceptionally subtle, but I've never noticed it pulling back or rattling. Of course, the sensors might not have seen the car in the examples I have.
My suspicion is that this is really the case. Their software implementation of the detection is abysmal.
Where do I find this claim?
The "Lane Assist" section of the manual. For me it's page 83, right hand column, top paragraph.

Wow, that's disappointing to learn. The blind spot detection (and mirror-located annunciation) are excellent on my Mercedes. That said, I'm still really looking forward to receiving my new Model S; delivery is currently tracking late December, though I hope it gets here sooner than that!

I was just browsing Tesla.com and they don't seem to even mention "blind spot detection" anymore. I guess it is no longer false advertising, but all of us that bought AP 1.0 when they were touting that feature were ripped off. They could add a couple sensors to make it work, but back peddling on this is not right.

I was just browsing Tesla.com and they don't seem to even mention "blind spot detection" anymore. I guess it is no longer false advertising, but all of us that bought AP 1.0 when they were touting that feature were ripped off. They could add a couple sensors to make it work, but back peddling on this is not right.
Well they've back peddled on every other feature of AP1.0, so why not that one too?

i've pretty much decided there is no BSM on ours. i had a near accident within the first week of having the car. i was feeling excited that i finally had AP (1.0) with BSM. big mistake! showed absolutely NOTHING on the dash next to me when there was someone RIGHT THERE in my blind spot.

it's disappointing and no different from our 2014 S60, except there are all kinds of little graphics going on that mean absolutely nothing to me now.

we have a 4 year old Mercedes SUV that has 100% reliable blind spot detection in the mirrors. i hope tesla just goes with that method at some point.

I voted "yes" because I am my own blind spot detector... I don't have sensors for that. If I did, I wouldn't trust them anyway. (The point of this thread, right?)

So, it's kind of a back-handed "yes" vote as I am happy with myself and have been able to keep this car, and all cars I've ever owned, out of the body shop for mistakes in this region. If you don't have a 360 view around the car to see surrounding traffic, your mirrors aren't adjusted right, or your peripheral vision may be lacking so turn your head a bit more.

A Mercedes Race Team instructor took the time to show us how to adjust mirrors correctly and how to test they are adjusted correctly (on track) and how use them correctly... before we headed out on the track in all those beautiful AMG models. This mirror lesson was about 45 minutes, included theory, angles, perception.. everything. I totally use my mirrors differently now having learned that. The instructor happened to be probably the top guru on this topic and maybe went a bit overboard on it... but I appreciate he did. One of his "other duties" as a freelancer is driving and testing other manufacturers vehicle designs while in development. One thing he does out of habit is make sure mirrors can be set correctly for a range of all driver types.. He said, typically people have them too far inward toward the car.. "they are comforted seeing the sides of their own car. Wrong!" He's found some cars that will not allow mirror adjustment outward enough to the correct position. A manufacturer (Chrysler) changed a mirror design on an upcoming car so that it could be adjusted after he handed his drive results back... a feather in his cap. Although it was a boring car model.

Blindspot detectors (BS detectors?) are in the pile of unwanted nanny tech for me... I've seen orange lights blinking and glowing on side mirrors of other vehicles as their drivers still turn into each other or into my path cutting me off. Wow, that works great! Can't blame the tech, but can blame those people.

As far as having to see stuff on the instrument cluster to tell you what's going on around the car.. is a fat fail. Look around the car instead. Works better. I can't even see stuff I'm supposed to see on the instrument cluster (like the HI BEAM indicator) because Tesla puts that exactly behind the steering wheel line of sight onto the cluster.

Last edited:
I voted "yes" because I am my own blind spot detector... I don't have sensors for that. If I did, I wouldn't trust them anyway. (The point of this thread, right?)

So, it's kind of a back-handed "yes" vote as I am happy with myself and have been able to keep this car, and all cars I've ever owned, out of the body shop for mistakes in this region. If you don't have a 360 view around the car to see surrounding traffic, your mirrors aren't adjusted right, or your peripheral vision may be lacking so turn your head a bit more.

A Mercedes Race Team instructor took the time to show us how to adjust mirrors correctly and how to test they are adjusted correctly (on track) and how use them correctly... before we headed out on the track in all those beautiful AMG models. This mirror lesson was about 45 minutes, included theory, angles, perception.. everything. I totally use my mirrors differently now having learned that. The instructor happened to be probably the top guru on this topic and maybe went a bit overboard on it... but I appreciate he did. One of his "other duties" as a freelancer is driving and testing other manufacturers vehicle designs while in development. One thing he does out of habit is make sure mirrors can be set correctly for a range of all driver types.. He said, typically people have them too far inward toward the car.. "they are comforted seeing the sides of their own car. Wrong!" He's found some cars that will not allow mirror adjustment outward enough to the correct position. A manufacturer (Chrysler) changed a mirror design on an upcoming car so that it could be adjusted after he handed his drive results back... a feather in his cap. Although it was a boring car model.

Blindspot detectors (BS detectors?) are in the pile of unwanted nanny tech for me... I've seen orange lights blinking and glowing on side mirrors of other vehicles as their drivers still turn into each other or into my path cutting me off. Wow, that works great! Can't blame the tech, but can blame those people.

As far as having to see stuff on the instrument cluster to tell you what's going on around the car.. is a fat fail. Look around the car instead. Works better. I can't even see stuff I'm supposed to see on the instrument cluster (like the HI BEAM indicator) because Tesla puts that exactly behind the steering wheel line of sight onto the cluster.

Yes, I agree that adjusting mirrors outward is the best way to monitor cars in adjacent lanes, and it doesn't hurt to have a second warning from the sensors of the car. I don't consider this "nanny tech", I consider it a second opinion, which is helpful when lives and property are at stake.

Reactions: Ormond
Which cars are those that put safety first and refuse to allow people to participate in the extremely dangerous practice of adjusting the mirrors too far outward? those manufacturers should be congratulated. There are so many clueless "experts" saying that setting your mirrors so that you can't see pedestrians, cyclists, and motorcyclists, and so that you don't know if they've been knocked is a "good" thing. People need to return to adjusting their mirrors properly so that their blind spot is something they can see by turning their head, instead of something that can't be seen without sticking your head out the window.

Reactions: FlatSix911