Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Tesla for 65K

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Helping a friend find a used Tesla and his max budget is 65K... there are so many options is it ridiculous...

he wants AP, Sunroof, air suspension and upgraded radio... the rest is open

for that price he could get anything from a low mileage 2014 85 or P85 (with AP), A 2015 85D, a 2016/2017 60/70/75D, etc.. I even found a P85+ with AP and 35K miles for 65K (a unicorn) Living in Nevada there is no compelling "need" for an AWD car

I tried to explain that you could get an older car with better range and performance OR you could get a newer (more advanced car) if you are willing to give up some range and some performance. (excluding uncorked 75ds)... My speech to him was "it depends how you plan on using the car"
  • Are you going to drive it like you stole it(is performance and handling important or are you a "cruiser")
  • Mostly local or long distance trips
  • what kind of mileage are you comfortable with (you could get a higher mileage P85D for mid to high 60s)
  • Is a warranty or warranty eligible car important (YES)

I know lots of people will say a new one with the tax credit is close to that mark but for this person a new car is not an option 65K is the max he can spend

i know what I would do but curious as to what others would do.... Again not looking for links to specific cars but rather opinions on what others think..

second part.. When I bought mine used I opted for a private sale rather than a CPO... private sale was less $ (and negotiable) and I used the savings to buy the ESA so I ended up with 6 years of warranty at the time of purchase and in Nevada there is no sales tax on private sale used vehicles. (another 5-6K in savings)... with the changes to the CPO program the other opinion question is a "Warranty eligible" Private Sale vs. CPO

Curious to what others would choose...

thanks

I personally would instead opt for an inventory 75D. The acceleration is phenomenal and you essentially get a brand new car with the tax rebate and full warranty. Also while AP1 is pretty much at the limit, we are just beginning to see advancements possible with the AP2 hardware.

Plus you get to enjoy all the incremental improvements until now.

Reactions: Ormond
If you live in rural America like I do, AP1 is just about everything you need. Unless you want to just play with new features on occasion.

AP1 is still leaps and bounds beyond a standard car, and with unlimited supercharging, a Tesla at 60k+ is still a great deal.

Reactions: Destiny1701
P85D would be my choice, but I have experience of 1 Tesla and I am bias :)

AP? Spent 2 weeks now playing with AP1 since I got my car, it does what it says I guess. AP1 or AP2? Still trying to understand why one would be better than the other if they both want you to hold the wheel the whole time. Part of me thinks 'whats the point'?

Normally I just use the adaptive cruise and steer myself so its clear who's doing what, but maybe I am missing something.