Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Best settings for Standard Soundsystem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I added a 12" sub and amp into the lower trunk (covered) to the standard sound and it kicks the premium sound's (had it in the last MS) rear. Total investment ~$400 and ~6 hours.

That's a good idea. That lower area is already kind of covered up anyway - might as well put a sub & amp in there. Ran power and speaker wires from the front 12V battery and speaker wire from the front dash I take it?

Reus for aftermarket custom has had good reviews around here. And Light Harmonic is working on getting their stuff out, but haven't seen any reviews yet. (Reus might install LH stuff, so maybe that's an option) That's all high end.

I think the thing above the mirror is a sensor -- not part of the audio system.

From the spec section:
  • 200 watt, seven speaker stereo system with AM/FM/HD radio. Supports MP3, AAC, and MP4 music formats. System includes four speakers, two tweeters and one center channel speaker.
Where's the center channel speaker located?

With the Reus upgrades to the basic audio system, I generally keep the subs at 70%, bass/mid/treble settings at -2, +1.5, +2.0, and fade/balance at the default. Occasionally, I'll mess with the latter or the subwoofers knob, but that's about it. I like having a bit more brightness at the high end, and the foregoing accomplishes that.

My next Model S will have the upgraded audio system (on top of which the Reus mods will be transferred from the current car) as I did hear a little more in the midrange when I was in a loaner with the upgraded audio a couple of months ago. Pitiful bass and highs by comparison to the Reus effect, but that's to be expected.

With the Reus upgrades to the basic audio system, I generally keep the subs at 70%, bass/mid/treble settings at -2, +1.5, +2.0, and fade/balance at the default. Occasionally, I'll mess with the latter or the subwoofers knob, but that's about it. I like having a bit more brightness at the high end, and the foregoing accomplishes that.

My next Model S will have the upgraded audio system (on top of which the Reus mods will be transferred from the current car) as I did hear a little more in the midrange when I was in a loaner with the upgraded audio a couple of months ago. Pitiful bass and highs by comparison to the Reus effect, but that's to be expected.

Can the tweeters be changed out to provide higher highs? I realize there might be physical limitations with the 8" sub, but upgrading the tweeters might help, no?

I have the standard system with Bass +5 mid 0 and treble +3. It still sounds pretty average, the main issue though is poor resolution and poor dynamics.

Same here. And also agree on the 'averageness'. Going for an aftermarket upgrade. Imho the sound of the UHF system I had on my previous MS was actually just (or nearly) as average - louder, deeper, but dull bass and harsh treble; the UFH-upgrade certainly does not seem worth its (current) price. Nothing compared to the Harman Kardon system in my wife's 2014 Mini (or the same in a previous 2005 BMW 5-series of mine) or to the Mark Levinson system in my previous 2009 Lexus.

I am told the main issue is the inside of the "loudspeaker cabinets" (i.e. the doors, mainly) and that upgrades should certainly also involve the interior materials of the doors. Am inclined to believe that - in a "living room loudspeaker" as well, cabinet structure is probably at least as important as tweeter/woofer/filter.

That being said: Tesla gave me a 2016 BMW 5-series loaner last week (without the Harman Kardon upgrade). Now that was impossibly bad sounding (and tweaking with the settings wouldn't help at all...) which somewhat made me happy: yes, there are things on the market, even with 'premium' brands, way worse than our standard Tesla audio system!

Can the tweeters be changed out to provide higher highs? I realize there might be physical limitations with the 8" sub, but upgrading the tweeters might help, no?

The tweeters were changed out as part of the upgrade.

Have just nudged the settings a little as, in part, I find myself listening to more EDM these days. That, and after altogether too many years of abusing my hearing (but great memories), I was frankly surprised that I could hear much of anything - at either end, really.

The 2 subwoofers are 10", powered by a single larger amp rather than by the previous 2 smaller amp arrangement. Bass is... not a problem :).

Personally, I didnt think the NVX was worth the money. I ended up fiberglassing a box myself and adding a JL Audio 2ohm DVC 10" and an NVX 300 watt amp. It's perfect.

I added a 12" sub and amp into the lower trunk (covered) to the standard sound and it kicks the premium sound's (had it in the last MS) rear. Total investment ~$400 and ~6 hours.
Do you guys mind sharing pics? I like the NVX but it's pricey. I have the base audio system but just want a bit more bump, the rest of the system is fine with me.

I don't remember what I set mine to, I set them and forgot about it.

At first I was very interested in Rues, then realized that I don't listen to FLAC, and it's not worth the cost. Now I'm most likely going for the NVX when my kids stop using the rear seats (they put their feet everywhere...).

Overall the sound system isn't bad. The problem is the source audio. When I listen to Slacker (90%) or FM (10%) the audio is meh. The few times I streamed over bluetooth, the audio quality was MUCH better. Both my wife and I looked at each other, and realized that the standard audio isn't as bad as we originally thought.

Melodishop.com and the fastest USB sticks available make for a FLAC paradise. At $0.10-$0.30/track, even.

Been very happy with the service. If anyone wants, feel free to PM me for whatever their standard referral promo is these days. An extra 10 or 20 tracks free on top of what they already give you if I remember right.

Yes, it appears to be legit in that they note that they pay licensing to whatever the appropriate licensing entity is in Europe.

Anyway, agreed that GIGO rules the day. I can barely listen to most streaming audio if it isn't FLAC, although Slacker's 320Kbps is pretty good - if you get your credentials from Tesla and make that selection accordingly via the web interface.

As far as I know, nobody has confirmed that they've revisited the findings/retested/remeasured to confirm that one wouldn't get 320Kbps *after* the advent of LTE in the Model S. And it passes the ear test, so there's that.

I've noticed loaner Model S' are set not to flat EQ but to e.g. +11, +3.5, +6.5. It sounds pretty good that way!

I'm used to systems where you start with 0 and tweak from there only if you have a specific effect you're after.

I wonder if this is a local Tesla employee's preference, or if this is Tesla's recommended EQ setting.

I've noticed loaner Model S' are set not to flat EQ but to e.g. +11, +3.5, +6.5. It sounds pretty good that way!

I'm used to systems where you start with 0 and tweak from there only if you have a specific effect you're after.

I wonder if this is a local Tesla employee's preference, or if this is Tesla's recommended EQ setting.
Local preference. All the loaners I've had were +12 all the way across.

Reactions: DriverOne

Its the preference of someone who doesn't like music with no bass no midrange and no treble, in other words everyone!