Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Becoming impatient for the X to hit the road.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recall a thread where they mentioned Tesla was still waiting on the federal government to approve the side door cameras. ...

ISO/FDIS 16505 - Road vehicles -- Ergonomic and performance aspects of Camera Monitor Systems -- Requirements and test procedures

It’s not yet in the US gov’t’s hands. Two month final voting started Oct 1 (Stage: 50.20 (2014-09-29)), ends with November, then (if approved) it will get promulgated into NHTSA's and other's rules. Plenty of time for January.

Just heard the news that X will be delayed until 2015 third quarter!!! that's almost another year....... OH NO~~~~~oo~~~~~~

I can't wait any longer, may be I buy a D first, by even I order D now, I can only get it at 2015 Aug here at Hong Kong, and can't have the +2 seats at HK.

Waiting and waiting and still waiting is so painful.

Once again: given this new rumor, it's time for Tesla to make some statement about the Model X status.
It is really annoying that they simply don't say anything. I do not want to see a pre-series model or such.
I just want a statement (best monthly) to current reservation holders about what progress has been made
and if they are still on track.

+1

I've asked for this from them so many times. Little effort, but a great comfort to the (tens of) thousands of people waiting.

Q3 earnings conference call should take place in 3-4 weeks. It's inevitable that Elon and the team will be asked about progress on the X.

We know the Alphas have been in existence since early August, and that the Alpha program was to last around 3 months. I'd say that the Beta phase should begin in early November. I would say it's likely that more information will be available about a month from now.

I am in dilemma because I am afraid if I order D now, and wait a year, finally receive it; but after a few weeks, X, the car I originally wanted, suddenly available to order. ****...
Or if I decide to wait for X, and then another year has passed again, 2015... 2016... 2017...

Frankly, even X available to order next month, I estimate we won't get it until 1st quarter 2016 at HK, more likely 2nd or 3rd quarter.

One best solution is that if Tesla can make Model S or D possible to have the optional +2 seats available in HK market, and add 2-3 more Supercharge stations here; I will have enough reasons not to wait for X.

I really hope Tesla can give us some estimate timeline or what they are doing in our market; so that we can make the right buying decision with those information; and there won't be some issues like "petition, complaints, anger" from S owners after D announcement.

Q3 earnings conference call should take place in 3-4 weeks. It's inevitable that Elon and the team will be asked about progress on the X.

We know the Alphas have been in existence since early August, and that the Alpha program was to last around 3 months. I'd say that the Beta phase should begin in early November. I would say it's likely that more information will be available about a month from now.

I know there are no pics, but before the D event, my friend said he saw a Wrapped Tesla SUV driving around the Santa Monica airport area. I asked him like four times if he was sure it's a Tesla and he said 100% it was. He's a HUGE car guy (Subaru scene guy). I'm inclined to say he is right.

I am in dilemma because I am afraid if I order D now, and wait a year, finally receive it; but after a few weeks, X, the car I originally wanted, suddenly available to order. ****...
Or if I decide to wait for X, and then another year has passed again, 2015... 2016... 2017...

Frankly, even X available to order next month, I estimate we won't get it until 1st quarter 2016 at HK, more likely 2nd or 3rd quarter.

One best solution is that if Tesla can make Model S or D possible to have the optional +2 seats available in HK market, and add 2-3 more Supercharge stations here; I will have enough reasons not to wait for X.

I really hope Tesla can give us some estimate timeline or what they are doing in our market; so that we can make the right buying decision with those information; and there won't be some issues like "petition, complaints, anger" from S owners after D announcement.

Understandable dilemma. And I'm in no way qualified to offer insight into the HK Tesla situation, but as an European customer I can at least sympathize a little with the non-U.S. perspective.

Coming from a high-tech early adopter background, I would say I have witnessed and also experienced personally the "pre-order antsies" when you know something new is coming but there is silence and other smaller product-launches in-between. It is hard to wait for months in silence as other things compete for our attention.

I have also seen a lot of people disappointed by pulling the trigger too early during such a pre-order wait lull. It can sometimes be hard to believe the thing we know is coming when companies remain silent after announcements, but more often than not the thing will come and surprise us all - even though it shouldn't be a surprise. The pre-order wait psychology is twisted that way. :)

So, I think do what you can afford. I picked up a lot P85 to hold out until the Model X. If you can afford a P85D or whatever while you wait, do go ahead, but make the calculation assuming Model X may become orderable for you within 3-6 months. Can you handle it if that happens and still get the product that you want most?

Last edited:
I am really unsattisfied with the uninformation ModelX Reservation Holders have to live with. I ordered in Europe and given to the Information from June i expected to get a Model X by Summer 2015, as they told then. And like all others we payed money, only for a waiting spot.

If they really have trouble, getting the X ready, and can't deliver, i except them to tell the reservation holders.

Because if i knew, i won't get a Model X till summer 2016, as the latest suggestions here:

I would have a Model S by NOW.

But since they dont tell me, i expect my Model X as told in June and that was Summer 2015.

I made my peace with burning gas 1 year longer. But 2 years?!? Then they really have to tell us!!!

I understand that it is better to release a perfect product instead of unfinished, but please tesla dont lie! Tell a serious date and don't play with your customers.

Greetings Earl

I am really unsattisfied with the uninformation ModelX Reservation Holders have to live with. I ordered in Europe and given to the Information from June i expected to get a Model X by Summer 2015, as they told then. And like all others we payed money, only for a waiting spot.

If they really have trouble, getting the X ready, and can't deliver, i except them to tell the reservation holders.

Because if i knew, i won't get a Model X till summer 2016, as the latest suggestions here:

I would have a Model S by NOW.

But since they dont tell me, i expect my Model X as told in June and that was Summer 2015.

I made my peace with burning gas 1 year longer. But 2 years?!? Then they really have to tell us!!!

I understand that it is better to release a perfect product instead of unfinished, but please tesla dont lie! Tell a serious date and don't play with your customers.

Greetings Earl
Agree completely. I understand that logistics are difficult and delays happen. But I don't think it's much to ask that they keep their web site copy up to date. If people are getting emails saying Q3 2015, don't tell me 2014 or Q1 2015 when I log in. This is about more than excitement/anticipation for me, as I have to plan another purchase or lease around their timeline.